Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Which GPS

Go down 
+10
MikeO
Meldrew
Waspie
dspevack
honda_silver
KurtPerthWA
lcseds
DennisB
bigbird
wingmann
14 posters
AuthorMessage
wingmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
wingmann

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 7:42 pm

Which GPS do you use on your Silverwing and why did you pick that GPS
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 9:08 pm

You can buy a motorcycle specific Garmin Zumo 660 for almost $700, or use an $80 Garmin Nuvi 255W like I do. Sure my GPS isn't waterproof, doesn't have bluetooth or lots of other doodads, but it tells me where I'm going and how to get there. I don't intentionally drive in the rain, but if I have to I just move the GPS to a dry spot. It's all about what you need and how much you want to spend.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi Ray,

Your asking the big questions. Sure is a bunch of them to choose from. I purchased a Lowrance OXG, water proof, shook resistant, and not that expensive. One more thing, I can plug my head phones into it.

Last edited by DennisB on Sun May 08, 2011 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lcseds
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2011-02-15

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Agree with bigbird. I use a Garmin C580 (maybe a 550?). I retired it from the car when I bought a $50 Garmin 255. Both have decent battery life and if they shake off my Ram mount and bounce down the interstate, I won't shed a tear. I pretty much know where I'm going on long trips, but will break it out if I really get lost. I don't consider a GPS "auto jewelry" like a lot of folks. I break it out when I need it. I'd HATE to leave a $600 Zumo on the bike when I stopped to fuel, use restroom and maybe grab food. I'd probably do it at some point. Not worth the loss.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 11:33 pm

I have a Tom Tom and its handy in the car as it sounds off when I go 10kmph over the limit. Its fantastic when I am looking for an address ,after I get to the localityHardest part is keeping the battery alive as it only gets used every now and then This unit cost me $AU77.oo on special.
I also have a Navig8tor, I bought it on speacial for $AU99, which had a dead battery and could not be charged. I broke the on off switch trying to open it. Its designed to snap when it is opened. I resoldered a phone battery into it and used a small Tandy switch to turn it off and on. It takes SD cards and has the ability to run movies , e books and fotos. The phone battery lasts for months, but I rarely use it , just like the TOM TOM.
These things are really only useful when you get to near where you are going, or trying to get around a strange city..

I like the ones I have. Going to Melbourne, and once out of the metro area
"Turn right and continue for 520 kms. Turn right and go for 250kms, turn left and go for 1445 kms..................this gets you 1/2 way!
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 11:53 pm

wingmann wrote:
Which GPS do you use on your Silverwing and why did you pick that GPS

As other have said there are many GPS choices.

I have the Garmin Zumo 660 that I paid $500.00 (on sale with additional Garmin rebate).

I like that it can be easily used with a motorcycle glove in motorcycle mode.

I have used the Bluetooth to notify who may be calling me ... but I will not use while driving.

I plan to someday utilize the MP3 player for music.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 12:17 am

Rather than looking at GPS's, start by looking at your needs.
What do you want it to do other than GPS functions?

If you have helmet bluetooth audio, you'll want a unit that voices directions via bluetooth.
If you want real time traffic updates, you'll need one that can do that.
Bluetooth cellphone? Its available.
MP3? Its available. Do you want stereo bluetooth or mono?
Certain systems like garmin allow you to add your own POI's while others do not. Is that important to you?
Some will allow you to hook them up to your computer so you can upload or download ride plans from computer software and share them with others. Does that interest you?
Are you willing to pay more money up front for a long term subscription to updates, that will cost you less in the long run, or do you want to update it as you see fit?

Once you know what you want out of a GPS, then you can put together a wish list, and we can help you narrow down the field.

Someone who is a delivery person and needs a gps around town for work, will have a different set of needs than a cross country tourer.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 5:11 am

I'm a dinosaur when it comes to navigation on a bike. Call me 'Map Man'!!!

For the car - yes I use one. For the bike I prefer to plan thoroughly on a map, memorise as much of the route I can. Any perceived difficult parts I write on the wind shield, (my version of HUD). If I get lost it's all part of the fun.

I did buy a poor mans GPS bag which is slung between the handlebars but to date I have never used it in anger.

Prefer to keep my eyes on my potential killers. (Other road users). Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 6:04 am

I used the TomTom Rider I bought a few years ago on a trip to Germany last month. Even centrally mounted on one of Dennis B's sat nav mounts, it was hard to read the screen in bright sunlight, and yes I know I can get clip on sunshades on eBay etc.

I mated the TomTom to the Interphone F4 installed in my Schuberth J1 helmet, and found the vocal instructions useful, but the English sat nav voice of 'Tim' was rather irritating, and I was often telling 'him' to *#@% off! Twisted Evil

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon May 09, 2011 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 6:47 am

I bought the Garmin Zumo 660 - rather expensive - but I wanted one guaranteed waterproof and I like the wide screen.
I will never use all the built-in gizmos but I guess most people don't with any electronic device.
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 1:59 pm

DennisB wrote:
Hi Ray,

Your asking the big questions. Sure is a bunch of them to choose from. I purchased a Lowrance OXG, water proof, shook resistant, and not that expensive. One more thing, I can plug my head phones into it.

I followed Dennis' lead and purchased a Lowrance XOG. I bought it on EBay for about $130 two years ago. Shock resistant, water proof and the price are what sold me. After two years of use, I have no complaints.
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
Coops666
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-03-24

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 6:36 pm

I use my TomTom One XL that I also use in my cars, since I didn't want to buy multiple GPS units, and I think the motorbike specific GPS units are very overpriced. I use it on the Wing with a So Easy Rider - it protects the GPS from the elements but the downside is that the screen suffers from glare.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 10:31 pm

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 1100 from walmart. Basic, voice nav,touch screen , i just need to know where to turn if im going to some obscure place ive never been to before.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Tagg wrote:
i just need to know where to turn if im going to some obscure place ive never been to before.

Will it help you in finding (or avoiding, take your pick), the dirtiest public bathroom in Tennessee?
Back to top Go down
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 11:28 pm

I use the TeleNav application on my Blackberry Torch device.

Works great.

Telenav is offered on many devices.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 8:16 am

bigbird wrote:
Tagg wrote:
i just need to know where to turn if im going to some obscure place ive never been to before.

Will it help you in finding (or avoiding, take your pick), the dirtiest public bathroom in Tennessee?

Yea, i paid extra for that download! Whew!
Back to top Go down

Which GPS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GPS    Which GPS  I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 9:18 am

I really like my Pocket Loox with Navigon navigation because it has a "motorcycle" setting that avoids interstates. I'm not sure how many others have this feature but the one I use in my car doesn't have it.
Back to top Go down

Which GPS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: