Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Alternative oil Filters for the SW

Go down 
+7
model28a
WingMan
john grinsel
alejom
Old Limey
DennisB
keithb
11 posters
AuthorMessage
keithb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-04-25

Alternative oil Filters for the SW Empty
PostSubject: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 2:09 pm

I hope I am not beating not beating a dead horse here. In anticipatoin of moving to a Silverwing in the future I was checking to see if my oil filter wrench would fit the Fram 6607 filter. Not a chance. Too big. I did find out the Bosch 3300 and the STP 6607 match the Fram filter. BTW, the filter wrench that fits the 6607/3300 filters only costs $5.99
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi Keith,

We all know that we can use what ever products we want on our scooters but in my observations and study, there are many better filters on the market then FRAM for use on the Silverwing. This subject has been talked about allot on this forum and many others... but use whatever you want but... please do the research.

Just my thoughts. sunny
Back to top Go down
keithb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 3:18 pm

DennisB
No problem. I know the opinions w/Fram oil filters. I use Bosch on my RT and 4Runner. No more oil filter threads from me. Smile
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 6:50 am

Just changed my oil and Filter. In UK the none Honda one seems to be HF204. Got one off ebay for £6.88. Incuding p.p. I always used a chain wrench to remove oil filters, or banged a screw driver through it, if it was the old one. I now have a shiny new wrench i got from Aldi for £3.99. one size fits all as it is adjustable. Worked brilliantly.
Back to top Go down
alejom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alejom

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 11:43 am

I personally stay away from Fram filters; The Honda filter at the dealership cost me less than a Bosch would have cost at the parts store, so I pick that one up.

For a wrench, I use the same wrap-around I use for the family car. It just says "small oil filter wrench" and I think it was not more than 6 dollars.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 12:43 pm

Solution simple----SilverWing uses same filter as Goldwing---WalMart ST6607, works on my NT, too. Priced $3-$4 US.

Nobody here actually rides enough to wear out Honda engine.

Various bikes/scooters WalMart Oil and filters have not failed me in the past 500,000 miles or so. 250 scooters being run wide open most of time (5 of them).

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
WingMan
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 1:18 pm

Another oil filter that many Goldwing owners use is the Walmart ST7317, I've used it on my SilverWing for the last three oil changes.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: OIl fiters   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 2:00 pm

Bigbird I've never met anyone that could remove an old oil filter by hand.
I can just about still crush a grape:x
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 4:13 pm

I removed my filter by hand last time, then again when I put the filter on I make sure I put oil on the gasket and after it seats I only turn it about 1/2 a turn by hand.I almost never have a problem getting them off.
Back to top Go down
Slick-Tenn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 5:21 pm

DennisB wrote:
Hi Keith,

We all know that we can use what ever products we want on our scooters but in my observations and study, there are many better filters on the market then FRAM for use on the Silverwing. This subject has been talked about allot on this forum and many others... but use whatever you want but... please do the research.

Just my thoughts. sunny
I, too, did my extensive research and sorry, beg to differ about the Frams. One thing I noticed about all the "testers" who did the "research" was they were amateurs who really knew nothing about what was good or bad. They made their own assumptions based on preconceived notions. One thread I followed actually led to an explanation of why Fram built their filters the way they did - BY A FRAM ENGINEER. His explanation not only was plausible, but made perfect sense. Put simply, the Fram filters are not inferior in any way shape or form. Their Tough Gard filter (TG) filters out as small a micron as anything on the market, contains synthetic media and is guaranteed for 10K. It's about 6 bucks. They're not #1 for nothing.
Back to top Go down
Slick-Tenn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 5:31 pm

keithb wrote:
I hope I am not beating not beating a dead horse here. In anticipatoin of moving to a Silverwing in the future I was checking to see if my oil filter wrench would fit the Fram 6607 filter. Not a chance. Too big. I did find out the Bosch 3300 and the STP 6607 match the Fram filter. BTW, the filter wrench that fits the 6607/3300 filters only costs $5.99
The Fram Tough Guard 6607 is made of synthetic media, filters the smallest microns, and works for 10K. Sold! 6 bucks at Advanced Auto Parts.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 10:53 am

Slick-Tenn wrote:
DennisB wrote:
Hi Keith,

Just my thoughts. sunny
I, too, did my extensive research and sorry, beg to differ about the Frams. One thing I noticed about all the "testers" who did the "research" was they were amateurs who really knew nothing about what was good or bad. They made their own assumptions based on preconceived notions. One thread I followed actually led to an explanation of why Fram built their filters the way they did - BY A FRAM ENGINEER. His explanation not only was plausible, but made perfect sense. Put simply, the Fram filters are not inferior in any way shape or form. Their Tough Gard filter (TG) filters out as small a micron as anything on the market, contains synthetic media and is guaranteed for 10K. It's about 6 bucks. They're not #1 for nothing.

A Fram engineer saying his filter is as good as anyones? Of course it sounds plausible, and makes perfect sense. Did you really think he would say anything else? Use your brain. i will always trust a 3rd party engineering report before a oem manufacturer, be it filters or anything else. But then again, ive never been lied to by a corporation that has a vested interest before. Wink
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 11:04 am

Having said that, and to soften it a bit, i have no recollection of any motor having failed due to any oil filter, or its life being somehow measurably shortened by one.

I believe that somewhere out there in the myriad of articles and charts, and personal qualifications, there is a "best" oil filter somewhere, i also believe that the oil its self, and its condition, is more of a contributing factor to engine performance and durability.
Back to top Go down
Slick-Tenn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Tagg wrote:
Slick-Tenn wrote:
DennisB wrote:
Hi Keith,

Just my thoughts. sunny

A Fram engineer saying his filter is as good as anyones? Of course it sounds plausible, and makes perfect sense. Did you really think he would say anything else? Use your brain. i will always trust a 3rd party engineering report before a oem manufacturer, be it filters or anything else. But then again, ive never been lied to by a corporation that has a vested interest before. Wink
Ouch! First of all, "third party?" All of the "third parties" I saw were non-engineer-types - regular guys like you and me. Please tell me, how is they know what's good and what's bad in designing and building an oil filter? I'm not a country bumpkin, my friend. When I said the Fram engineer's explanation made perfect sense, I mean I understand bullshit when I hear it. Your friend next door saws a Fram filter in two and proclaims "it doesn't have a steel frame. Therefore, it's not a good filter and is unacceptable." Now THAT is bullshit my friend!
Back to top Go down
Slick-Tenn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 9:03 pm

bigbird wrote:
Slick-Tenn: I don't think Tagg is your friend.
I'm not looking for friends, but it really does irritate me when people simply accept what they're reading simply because it's in writing. Regarding the dissing of Fram filters, there have been ONLY laymen wade in on the subject - using their own (uneducated) opinions. Fram is the #1 automotive filter maker for a good reason: They make reasonably-priced, quality oil filters. Period. And listen, I'm not a brand loyalist! I've used other filters and they're (mostly) all good. Personally, I think today, the Mobil 1 Oil filter is the best quality filter on the market, but it's expensive. The Fram does ALMOST as good a job for about half the cost. Yes, the Walmart filters are excellent quality too (manufactured by Champion Filters - not the spark plug folks), but do not mention their effectiveness at filtering (Fram is 97-99%).
Back to top Go down
wingmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
wingmann

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Has anyone checked the consumer report Mag or web site to see the oil filter tests that thay did. Maybe someone on this forum can find the mag that has the oil filter tests or maybe someone has a paid mebership to the consumer report web site. The test that thay did should tell us the filter that filters the oil the best.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Alternative oil Filters for the SW 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 10:17 pm

We don't need no stinking reports! We got Grinsel! :lol!:
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 1:34 am

Slick-Tenn wrote:
Tagg wrote:
Slick-Tenn wrote:
DennisB wrote:
Hi Keith,

Just my thoughts. sunny

Ouch! First of all, "third party?" All of the "third parties" I saw were non-engineer-types - regular guys like you and me. Please tell me, how is they know what's good and what's bad in designing and building an oil filter? I'm not a country bumpkin, my friend. When I said the Fram engineer's explanation made perfect sense, I mean I understand bull**** when I hear it. Your friend next door saws a Fram filter in two and proclaims "it doesn't have a steel frame. Therefore, it's not a good filter and is unacceptable." Now THAT is bull**** my friend!

A wonderful example of only seeing what you want to see yes? THIRD PARTY ENGINEERING REPORT. Pay attention next time. there's a huge difference between an organized empirical engineering report, and a guy with a bandsaw, Apparently we both see that dont we?
I wont apologize cause you got a little butt-hurt,but i mean what i say, you'll get over it.

Alternative oil Filters for the SW Kleenex

Last edited by Tagg on Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 am

"Hi Yo" wrote:
We don't need no stinking reports! We got Grinsel! :lol!:

Ha Ha! you mean obi-john!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alternative oil Filters for the SW   Alternative oil Filters for the SW I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alternative oil Filters for the SW
Page 1 of 1