Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

You're going to have a laugh at my expense...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

You're going to have a laugh at my expense... Empty
PostSubject: You're going to have a laugh at my expense...   You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 12:09 am

....and I deserve it, so it's OK...

After church, I decided to find the snow level east of Foresthill in the Sierras, so I ran up to Auburn, caught Foresthill Road and started east. Foresthill Road is a well-maintained mountain road with quite a few passing lanes and lots of sweepers.

I maintained what I thought was a pretty good pace up the hill, but at one point, there was a car and a motorcycle behind me, so when a passing lane showed up, I moved right to let the others by. The motorcycle passed me first, on a tight left sweeper which was posted at 40 mph. The bike turned out to be a Harley Fat Bob piloted by a guy in a T-shirt and a beanie helmet. He went around me like I was standing still, portside floorboard scraping the pavement and throwing sparks. I was running about 45 or so, so the Fat Bob was easily at 65+ as he scraped along, passed me and motated on down the road. He was gone by the next set of sweepers.

I immediately had two thoughts:

1. I was impressed by the Fat Boy rider. He knew his skill level, he knew the bike's capability and he had confidence in his ability to exploit both. He was riding that bike at the edge of its cornering performance envelope, but did so with ease and grace.

2. My nose was a bit out of joint because I had not yet developed that level of skill and confidence with the SWing, considering my last buncha rides have all been in the hills and mountains on twisties and sweepers...

Anyway, I found the snow about 5 miles east of Foresthill, then the end of the plowed road at China Wall with about 4' of snow on the ground.

Sat and considered the whole thing and remembered that when I rode a "regular" motorcycle, I shifted weight to the inside of a turn and dropped the inside knee. By doing this, I found that the motorcycle stabilized and went around the turn faster than if I did not shift weight and remained straight in the saddle. I also remembered that I had not tried this on the SWing and that it had never occurred to me to do so.

So on the way back down the hill, I did.

Worked great. Just like with a "regular" motorcycle, shifting weight inboard and laying the inside knee out stabilized the bike and allowed me to go much more confidently through the turn at a higher rate of speed.

Doh...

Bet you knew that already. I did too, but I was just riding a "scooter," so it never occurred to me to try. See how paradigms screw us up?

Don't be afraid to hang a knee off your SWing in the corners...it's really cool.

Here are some photos from the run today...

Last edited by Jinglebob on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: OK, I cleared stuff out, so here are some photos from today:   You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 12:18 am

Foresthill Road eastbound, where the snow begins-about 5 miles east of Foresthill
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: You're going to have a laugh at my expense...   You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 12:20 am

End of the road at China Wall
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: You're going to have a laugh at my expense...   You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 12:24 am

Looking into the canyon of the North Fork of the American River from China Wall
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: You're going to have a laugh at my expense...   You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 12:25 am

SWing in the snow
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: You're going to have a laugh at my expense...   You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 12:27 am

Crystal Range-canyon of the Middle Fork of the American River from Wharton's Overlook.

I hope you had a chance to be on two wheels today...

That's all for now!!!

Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
You're going to have a laugh at my expense... 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: You're going to have a laugh at my expense...   You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 5:09 am

Nice pictures Jinglbob. santa That's the only snow I want to see. I did get to be on two wheels- to work and back. Damned overtime. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: You're going to have a laugh at my expense...   You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 5:24 am

I always wondered what snow looks like

lovely pix
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You're going to have a laugh at my expense...   You're going to have a laugh at my expense... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

You're going to have a laugh at my expense...
Page 1 of 1