Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Light on only with running engine

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

Light on only with running engine Empty
PostSubject: Light on only with running engine   Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:08 am

Have someone an idea how it is possible to modify the light that it only will be on with running engine?

I will install Xenon HID and i think it will kill the xenon burner very fast if it will firing 2 times, first if i turn the key and second time after starting the engine...
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Light on only with running engine   Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 10:53 am

You could splice a relay & switch into the headlamp wiring and be able to control the headlight that way.

Though it's not exactly what you're asking for, it's a good place to start; See ehaughn's post for a 'Break-out wiring harness' for some very good technical and parts sourcing information.

He also posted this wiring schematic which you may be able to adapt to work for your needs.

Attachments

Copy of DSC00187.JPG
Break-out wiring harness

Hope this helps.

Tim
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Light on only with running engine   Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 10:56 am

BlackFly wrote:
Have someone an idea how it is possible to modify the light that it only will be on with running engine?

I will install Xenon HID and i think it will kill the xenon burner very fast if it will firing 2 times

I believe if you hold the start switch down the HIDs will not fire nor will the starter fire WITHOUT the brake engaged. So you could hold the start switch then turn key or come up with a way to "fake" as if the starter switch is on.
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

PostSubject: Re: Light on only with running engine   Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:02 am

Yes, that was also my idea to install a additional relay in the wiring in front or behind the light switch (the european model have a lightswitch installed that i can use, but i want the switching automatically).
But how can i activate this? I need something that only triggers the relay if the engine is running!
My first idea was the oil press switch. If the oilpress switch opens i have no oil press and the engine will hopefully not running Wink

Is it possible to use this switch? Do i have another switches or something else that can activate this relay only with engine running?
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

PostSubject: Re: Light on only with running engine   Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:08 am

Another idea:

If i replace the Light switch with a self holding switch or better a Relay that is switched off after it is powerless...

I turn the key, the light is off.
I start the engine and then switch the light on. Now the Light stays on as long as the ignition is on (and therefore the engine is running). If i use a relay instead of a switch it can be possible to activate the relay by the starter. In this case the light will be on if i use the starter until i turn the ignition off

But i'm a mechanic and are not very good in elctricall things Wink It is possible to realize this?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Light on only with running engine   Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:40 am

BlackFly wrote:
(the european model have a lightswitch installed that i can use, but i want the switching automatically).

Can you engine start while on the side stand?? If not then you can use the switch from the sidestand or maybe the fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Light on only with running engine   Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:52 am

You could use the ground supplied by the oil pressure switch to provide the ground path for the relay coil of the low beam circuit. If you did it this way, the relay contacts wouldn't close until the engine had oil pressure.

I used this method to activate a relay for audio amplifiers on a few vehicles including a Honda touring motorcycle.
Back to top Go down
RatJet
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RatJet

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2011-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Light on only with running engine   Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 12:30 pm

trouble1100 wrote:
You could use the ground supplied by the oil pressure switch to provide the ground path for the relay coil of the low beam circuit. If you did it this way, the relay contacts wouldn't close until the engine had oil pressure.

I used this method to activate a relay for audio amplifiers on a few vehicles including a Honda touring motorcycle.
I think, thats the best way.
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

PostSubject: Re: Light on only with running engine   Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 1:55 pm

Are you sure?
I think i only have ground path provided by the switch with no Oil press. From the tachometer is the supply of 5V, goes during the Oil Press LED and directly through the oil press switch on ground.
I think i need an additional relay that cuts the power/ground to the HID if the Oil press switch opens (no GND = positive oil press)

The other way is the idea with the self holding relay...

But i have to wait until next month, then i have to do the TÜV (before i cannot install the xenon because the will put my scooter out of service with the xenons Wink). It is also possible that the xenon will not switch off during engine start, if this happens i don't to anything Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Light on only with running engine   Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 7:01 pm

why not just find an earlier handle bar switch gear that has headlight switches.easier and neater.
cheers
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

PostSubject: Re: Light on only with running engine   Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:39 am

I have a light switch...
But i'm lazy and forgetful and need it automatic Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Light on only with running engine   Light on only with running engine I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Light on only with running engine
Page 1 of 1