Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

What a Rip Off

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-01-16

What a Rip Off Empty
PostSubject: What a Rip Off   What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 1:43 pm

I called my local honda dealer today(the peeps i never use) in arlington tx to find out how much to install a new front tire on my silverwing if i supply the tire....

Bring in whole bike $75
bring in wheel $40

i can drive a little further and get an independent dealer to change it on the bike for $25

last time i tried to get D&S cycle honda dealer to change a tire....they wanted me to drop it off.....Leave by any means neccessary and come back when its convenient for them. I told them i have no way to leave if u take my bike.....so i took myself and my bike.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Yerabuilder.com
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

What a Rip Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a Rip Off   What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 4:03 pm

[quote="FlyingWing"]I called my local honda dealer today(the peeps i never use) in arlington tx to find out how much to install a new front tire on my silverwing if i supply the tire....

Bring in whole bike $75
bring in wheel $40

i can drive a little further and get an independent dealer to change it on the bike for $25/quote]

That sounds about consistent with what I've experienced here.

The dealer usually charges 1/2 hour labor to mount & balance the tire when I bring in the wheel. A bit less if I've purchased the tire from them. So at a labor rate of $80/hr that $40 bucks is "normal".

And yes, I agree. It is an outrageous charge. And just one more reason to learn to do as much of your own service work as possible --and use the dealer as a last resort.

If you are lucky you can find an independent shop that will charge you less.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

What a Rip Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a Rip Off   What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 5:06 pm

Pretty much sums up the arrangement in my part of the UK too.

I source the tyre myself, arrange a time for the local tyre fitter to do the job, take in the wheel and re-fit myself.

Many £'s or $'s the better for the experience too. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

What a Rip Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a Rip Off   What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 5:15 pm

I have been a doityourself'er most of my life...theres not much i cant do, but im trying to quit accumulating so many tools and belongings(dont want to buy a tire changer). I know how to change a tire with pry bars but i can pay to have a tire changed which don t cost much and then i dont need to do it. I refuse to let a dealer touch my bike let alone leave my bike with them..."aint gonna happen"

I am very cheerful about supporting businesses that deserve it, but i always get a switft kick in the groin when i deal with a dealer is why i hardly ever use motorcycle dealerships to make repairs for me.
Back to top Go down
papa johns
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-06-15

What a Rip Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a Rip Off   What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 8:12 am

We have a small dealer in my neighborhood and I have found that building a relationship with the mechanic is helpful. The same guy does all my work and he charges me for real time rather then the book rate. Being familiar with my bike helps him get right at it. When I talked to an independent shop he wanted me to buy a shop manual and bring it in with the bike.
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

What a Rip Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a Rip Off   What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 9:48 am

I have owned several businesses over the years and have an understanding what it takes to attract customers, but those guys always act like they are doing me a favor by even talking to me, whats more there are other people that are more hungry than dealerships so i give the work to them.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

What a Rip Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a Rip Off   What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 11:31 am

If you bought your tire from the online Motorcycle Superstore they will ship the tire to one of their "preferred installers". The preferred installer I use only charges me $30.00 per tire to install and balance. Here is a link:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/1/0/0/DEPARTMENT/Scooter-On-Road-Tires-Tires.aspx#&&Back=320-0
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

What a Rip Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a Rip Off   What a Rip Off I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 7:17 pm

thanks for the Motorcycle superstore info....i did actually buy my front tire at the MS and it was delivered to my house. I know of a guy that will do it for $25...but if he goes out of business or something it is good to know that info is available.
Back to top Go down

What a Rip Off
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: