Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

How hard to tie down the SW?

Go down 
+5
exavid
Skippy
masscoot
papa johns
Opalsboy
9 posters
AuthorMessage

How hard to tie down the SW? Empty
PostSubject: How hard to tie down the SW?   How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 9:47 am

I have considered getting a small trailer to tow my SW, which would allow me to get out of the frigid north to a location where I could then ride, but I wonder about how hard it is to secure the SW to a trailer. When I bought the bike the dealer delivered it to me via trailer, and I was told that it was a much tougher setup than was needed for a regular motorcycle. That has always made me leery of trailering. Am I being over cautious? Also, since I drive a small SUV (a Honda CRV) I would want as light a trailer as possible for the SW. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: How hard to tie down the SW?   How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 10:15 am

This is a link that should help you .... it did me,...

https://www.silverwing600.com/t2005-tieing-down-the-swing?highlight=tying+down+a+swing

This link is inside the thread linked above... just want to be sure you see it... https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-topics-f3/front-tie-down-location-t1652.htm

Back to top Go down
papa johns
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-06-15

PostSubject: Re: How hard to tie down the SW?   How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 11:01 am

I use a Canyon Dancer they are cups with straps that slip over the handle grips and tighten when you use straps to ratchet them to your trailer.
I have trailered across the country many times.
Mike
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: How hard to tie down the SW?   How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 1:30 pm

Gary has inserted two excellent links on this subject. My trailer is rated for 1100 lbs and can be pulled with a 4 cyl. I have cleaned and repainted it twice in the 18yrs I've had it (a JCWhitney item about $300 back then and I pulled it with a subaru legacy). The tie down points are well illustrated. Good luck Vito!
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How hard to tie down the SW?   How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 2:46 pm

I've got an 'ERDE' Single Motorcycle Trailer that does double duty for the SWing. Its got numerous tie down points. I can use upto 6 ratchet straps, each rated at 5000KG breaking strain that I acquired via a friend who works for an agricultural suppliers.

I also have a useful little strap device that fits over the handlebars and works in reverse to the normal straps . ie the straps pull in the opposite direction - I've never bent a single pair of handlebars using them because strapping a machine down doesn't need that sort of force excerted on it to keep it stable.

http://www.bikeit.co.uk/tools_product.asp?ID=134

I've found that most of the time when machines have become unstable/detached from a trailer is due to poot trailer design or a lack of proper suspension. In reality, you only need 4 straps as most to secure a SWing to a trailer:

2 over the bottom yolk - one either side, this keeps the bike vertical.
1 over the center 'transmission hump to stop it boucing and 1 through the rear wheel pulled back at 45 degrees either side to stop it shunting forwards (and backwards).

I don' t know about it outside Europe, but over here we are limited to a max 50mph pulling a trailer, except on the Motorway where it is 60 mph (with some restrictions lower). Having 'thrown' a bike off a flat bed trailer, approx 100 yards from home, having travelled 20+ miles because a lightweight strap broke, I'm just a bit paranoid about trailers Smile

I think the best way to address this issue is Practice, try it before it becomes necessary - that way precious bodywork won't get damaged if some cack handed recovery driver gets his mits on you precious bike Smile
Back to top Go down
papa johns
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-06-15

PostSubject: Re: How hard to tie down the SW?   How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Canyon Dancer straps

http://www.tobefast.com/images/P/canyon_dancer_2_tie_down.jpg
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: How hard to tie down the SW?   How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 10:47 pm

I've tied Goldwings in the bed of my pick up and on a trailer using ratchet straps. The nice thing about them is they don't damage things on the bike as a chain or rough rope would. Also you can easily snug them up from time to time enroute. I also put two on the fork with enough tension to pull the suspension down about 1/3 of it's travel. The rear is held back with two diagonals to the rear corners of the truck/trailer box from the rear tire. Just a turn around the wheel from each side and snug up the ratchets. Never had a problem hauling several bikes to my shop or picking up others to rebuild. The SW ought to be easier than a GW which doesn't have very many good tie down points. At least it's a lot lighter.
Back to top Go down
Dale
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-10-07

PostSubject: Re: How hard to tie down the SW?   How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 11:38 pm

There are many better ways as detailed in this thread, but I did trailer mine from Hobbs using plain manila hemp rope. I tied to the base of the rear view mirrors and the trailer rails. The trick if such is to use the suspension to keep every thing tight and to secure the front wheel so that it doesn't pivot.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How hard to tie down the SW?   How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 1:03 pm

First ride it out of Ill----500 miles straight south and it warms up a little.

Trailer bikers are killing this sport or hobby. Ill is tropical paradise compared to N WI where I grew up.

To use trailer succesfully, purpose built box trailer works fine----but needs rail, front wheel stop----four quick ties, two on passenger handles, two on front fork, since SilverWing has no ingear---use parking brake---done right there is alittle give and things work out fine.

Open trailer----bike gets dirtier than riding. Also closed trailer can be purchased with door that doubles as ramp.

Riding, staying in nice motels cheaper--------and remember riding in FL ain't much unless you like no curves----for several years I rode to Key West to change oil and camp a few days prior to Daytona Trailer Biker Week----I rode from WI.

One Problem, where to store all you warm clothes as you hit the warmer weather.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: How hard to tie down the SW?   How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 11:52 am

I'll just add, I "WAS" carrying our previous SW on a versahaul behind our diesel RV - ride was OK, but the first trip out, I did mange to bend the handle bars on the first big bump and had to make a quick return to the dealer (they fortunately fixed it immediately and sent us back on our way)

I had 4 point straps attached to the handle bars and they were the best designed straps I felt I could find and use ("throttle centered to avoid damage to the throttle") - still, the bars had to attach down to the VersaHaul in my case - on the trip restart, I wrapped the top of the front tire and the bottom of the rear tire to the Versa haul and attached both straps to the VersaHaul - I still used the 4 point handlebar straps, just not quite as tightly now - I also hung the bike so to speak to the ladder mounts with more straps - I was within inches of some very expensive shiny fiberglass on the rear of the RV - I then added RV protection in case the bike somehow were to move forward - It finally didn't move, but this arrangement proved too "worrysome" for me - trailering it would be a breeze, but I wanted to bring a car or a jet ski at times too (I don't want to handle the double car/boat carrying trailers)

- Your HONDA should easily tow a SW
- the weight of the any decent motorcycle trailer should be pretty much a non-issue
- securing a SilverWing shouldn't be too hard on a trailer
- do put about 10% of the total weight of the trailer on the hitch so it (the trailer) doesn't sway going down the road
- I am getting a motorcycle trailer for our new BIKE (MUCH heavier bike) or modifying some other type of trailer - BUT, I do plan of avoiding pulling down on the handle bars to the extent I can - seems like a potential problem waiting to happen - probably will install some type of steel vertical supports

On the previous SW, that ONE front strap alone, wrapped thru and around the top of the front tire, seemed "more than enough" vertical support for a trailer - In my case though on the VersaHaul, I just couldn't have it move AT ALL or it would have hit the fiberglass

I definitely would make sure the front and rear tires fit in some type of channel, blocked at the front (maybe rear too)
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: How hard to tie down the SW?   How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 12:38 pm

djevanstn wrote:
... snipped ... I am getting a motorcycle trailer for our new BIKE (MUCH heavier bike) or modifying some other type of trailer - BUT, I do plan of avoiding pulling down on the handle bars to the extent I can - seems like a potential problem waiting to happen.

Just to add to this, I use Canyon Dancers secured to the handlebars when first stabilizing the scooters after riding into the front wheel chock. They do a good job holding the scoot steady while I fasten the main 4 straps. I do not rely on the Canyon Dancer secured straps to be one of the main securement points because of the stress to the handlebars.

Between the front wheel chock, two tie-down points at the triple tree and the two at the rear (either using the grab bars or up underneath the tupperware), I find the scoot is more than secure.

I do leave the handle bar (Canyon Dancer) straps on while transporting and find that once I tighten down the main straps, they loosen up such that they do not put excessive pressure on the handlebars. I do this because when I reverse the process, they are the last two strap remaining, again for stabilization purposes, before I disengage from the wheel chock. ~ sonuvabug ~
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: How hard to tie down the SW?   How hard to tie down the SW? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 26, 2010 1:26 am

sonufabug . . .

I had to look up "canyon dancer," but that is very similar to what I had. Attachment to the handle was a bit different method, but again quite similar.

I can't remember what exactly the problem was with trying to tie to the triple tree on my SilverWing, but do plan to attach at these points on this bike.

I'm not sure where or what forum I found it, but I just saw a picture of someone else doing just this yesterday. I do see what you're saying though, on the handle straps.
Back to top Go down

How hard to tie down the SW?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: