Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS

Go down 
+5
dspevack
KurtPerthWA
john grinsel
eddy
Hammy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS Empty
PostSubject: Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS   Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 11:11 pm

Just came across this: http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/install-tcb.html and was wondering if any of you wonderful Swingriders here have tried this?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS   Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 1:45 am

I'm pretty skeptical.

A small air bubble in the hydraulic system would do the same.

There is only pressure loss at the same level of squeezing hands.

There is no detection of wheel block.
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS   Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 7:07 am

If somebody thinks this is better than a real set up stock system and skilled technique on the part of the rider, and lots of practice.....they are nuts. See any road racers or dirt bike racers with this?

Of course for most people the OEM ABS is probably the best for most circumstances.

I remember from teaching days----if you have made a panic stop in the past year, there is probably something wrong with your riding technique.
With the low quality of car drivers and other bike riders you need to be on alert all the time.

John Grinsel How many have practiced a quick stop from 80 mph in the past month? for just on case it becomes necessary.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS   Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 7:16 am

Yeah, me when I spotted what looked like a speed camera!... dangerous things those cameras, hey
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS   Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 8:29 am

KurtPerthWA wrote:
Yeah, me when I spotted what looked like a speed camera!... dangerous things those cameras, hey

[S Rimshot} I'm sure you'll be here all week. band
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS   Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 1:20 pm

KurtPerthWA wrote:

Laughing Last weekend!!! Police camera on dual carriageway!!! At least I was looking!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS   Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 1:56 pm

[quote]I remember from teaching days----if you have made a panic stop in the past year, there is probably something wrong with your riding technique.

I made one last Thursday at 70mph coming over the top of a bridge traffic on the downside at a dead stop riding 2 up no ABS but I stopped without a problem. If I had been looking at other than the road I would have a new position six feet under pushing up daises or a crispy critter. No choice other than braking hard and sliding to a stop hoping whoever came over the top saw my brake lights as I was going over the top and heading down. I had ample room between me and the truck ahead close to 10 seconds after he had gone out of view till I saw him dead still in the road, so I guess I have bad riding technique.
Craig
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3798
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS   Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Three incidents in the last two weeks:
Two Juggernauts and one big van pulled out to overtake the vehicle in front of them, two as I was on their rear three-quarter.
This was on motorways so I was doing 70+.
The third, a juggernaut, pulled out a bit earlier but it was in the foul weather I rode back from Birmingham in.
I had to brake very heavily and I'm certain that if I'd not had ABS I'd have been off.
I was in the correct lane at the correct speed, signalling as I do.

I'll concede that #3 may not have seen me through the rain and ridiculous spray but 1 & 2 just didn't look.
The lorry-driver did wave his hand when I passed him in what I take to be a jesture of apology.
Ed was behind me on the BM when van-man did his thing and thought I'd crash into him.
I wasn't seriously phased but was jolly cross!
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS   Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 1:15 pm

Glad you're alright Mike! If there's something that'll help or aid in my continued enjoyment of riding, I'd look at it. Just was wondering if anyone's ever tried this or anything similar or understands how this thing would actually work or if it's a gimmick. I guess it's always gonna be like the whole Darkside tire or engine oil issue -- many opinions, many facts, and everyone's got the thing that works best for them and that's fine by me. I
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS   Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 1:35 pm

It seems to me that this rather simple device is essentially a reservoir with a high pressure backed bladder wall. It would be possible for this reservoir to be overwhelmed and thus be ineffective. At what pressure? I have no idea. I don't have any idea how it would sense the "spikes". As simple as it is - if it were truly effective you'd have to think the OEM's would be all over it.

The e-mail for the contact is a gmail account - not overly inspiring.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS   Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 1:40 pm

The technical data on the site is not very helpful but he does cite the "AQL level 1.5". Big Deal - http://www.anselleurope.com/medical/downloads/Ansell%20AQL_EN.pdf

So they can take a sample size of 200 out of a batch of 10,000 and 7 or less failures is acceptable. Gosh that's comforting.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3798
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS   Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks, Hammy.
I think I was stirred, not shaken!
I wholeheartedly agree with you; anything that makes my ride easier or more enjoyable is on the list.
I firmly believe that such things make me less vulnerable as I'm able to concentrate more on the road and less on my condition; for example, hands getting cold divert my attention so I have heated grips, hand-guards and good gloves.
I still always have in mind that everyone else on the road is out to get me so try to ride accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS   Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 9:34 am

I asked a few of my motorcycle buddies who know folks who have bought these and they also say it's questionable whether or not it even works as mentioned. Probably psychological, but there's yet another thing to go wrong and false protection is probably worse than no protection at all. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS   Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Traction Control Brakes for those of us without ABS
Page 1 of 1