Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New squeak in left rear when accelerating

Go down 
+6
mitch
Waspie
JeffR
eddy
Sweendog
GWPSI
10 posters
AuthorMessage
GWPSI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-09-17

New squeak in left rear when accelerating Empty
PostSubject: New squeak in left rear when accelerating   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 9:11 am

I was on a ride yesterday afternoon when I heard a squeaking sound coming from the left rear when starting out. It only lasts a few seconds and then stops as I pickup speed. No sound at all when I brake and stop.

Any clues as to what this might be?
Back to top Go down
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: New squeak in left rear when accelerating   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 9:58 am

Possibly belt-squeak from the rear pulley. Time for a new belt maybe, or time to clean out the belt housing.
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: New squeak in left rear when accelerating   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 10:18 am

I vote for the clutch.

Special if you hear it only when starting from 0 mph.
Or allmost 0 mph.
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
GWPSI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New squeak in left rear when accelerating   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 11:39 am

Thanks guys. I'm on it later today. I'll let you know what I find. Good suggestions.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: New squeak in left rear when accelerating   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 11:55 am

GWPSI,

This happens with the SWing if ridden to conservatively. Mine doesn't do this much at all but when it does this is what I do:

1) Pull in the front brake
2) Rev the engine up to about 4,000 rpm's for about 3-5 seconds
3) Then after you let it go back down to idle just take off and you should not hear the noise.

Sometimes when riding in very slow stop and go traffic or just not accelerating more aggressively from a stop, you can get some glazing of your clutch. You can do the above or take your belt off and de-glaze the clutch shoes. By pulling in the break and revving up to about 4,000 for a few seconds, this will de-glaze your clutch.

It won't hurt anything by doing this. Some won't do this but I have done it a few times and it gets rid of that "squeak" in just a matter of seconds.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: New squeak in left rear when accelerating   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 4:58 pm

I can testify JeffR's solution works for me.

(Nor do I ride conservatively either!!!!!!!) Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
mitch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mitch

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-09-10

PostSubject: Re: New squeak in left rear when accelerating   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 2:39 am

Hi.

When I was road testing my Silverwing, prior to purchase, I noticed this squeal when starting off from rest and was told it would be fixed under warranty.

The noise, which comes from the lower rear / left hand side of the bike, sounds like a squeaking trolley wheel in need of attention / squealing brake pads but only seems to surface when the bike is fully warmed up.

Sometimes it does not make the noise but mostly it does and I have found it can be overcome, to an extent, by brisk and revvy take offs.

I put the bike in last Tuesday for the dealer to investigate and was told that it needed a new belt, collar and a nylon bush and booked me in.

I duly arrived at the dealership on Friday at 0830 and by 1000 the work was complete and off I went.

I could not believe it when, by the time I arrived home, I heard the sound again and so I phoned the dealer and they said they just did not know what it could be especially after having done the work they did which cost quite a bit and said they would need to contact Honda technical dept to see what was what !!

Watch this space.
Back to top Go down
GWPSI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: I'll try the clutch trick   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 7:24 am

Jeff,

You can bet I'll give that a try. I pulled the cover from the belt air filter yesterday and cleaned that. I wanted to check the belt, but you need some exotic allen wrenches to make that happen.

As Mitch noted I have heard this only when the bike was fully warmed up. Not on the initial start.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in with suggestions. I''ll post the result of this latest attempt asap.

Gene
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New squeak in left rear when accelerating   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 9:58 am

I think JeffR ----let engine run up against brakes is easiest cure. Noise will come back.

My 09, bought new, SilverWing does it, My Suzuki Burgman 400 did it.I had various drive line troubles with the 4 new Helix I had, noises, 3 of the 4 had rear clutch problems, belt used to also slap against inner case, etc. one broken belt---since cover was easy to get off, shot of Lemon Pledge worked on them ( I know stupid, but worked) all were traded at 36-50,000 miles when warranty ran out. Reflex no noises-its life ended at 22,500 miles when lady on cell phone ran over it.

This noise I treat as nature of the beast in Silverwing---I suspect only low horsepower should be transmitted with belt--maybe 10 HP---my 125 Dealim in Korea, nor Vespa Ciao 50cc in Italy did not have these noises.

John Grinsel

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: New squeak in left rear when accelerating   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 3:26 pm

The X9 suffers from the same noise - not a problem and generally happens in hot weather or when doing lots of stop-start riding in heavy traffic.
We called it the 'strangled sealion' noise, cause by the belt slipping a bit.
Back to top Go down
GWPSI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Burn out seemed to work   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 9:23 am

I tried the "lock the front wheel and burn off the belt" technique and the squeak is gone, at least for now. It seems this is not an isolated problem, but fairly common and not serious.

The forum is a great way to sort through these things without an expensive dealer visit.

Gene
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: New squeak in left rear when accelerating   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 10:35 am

Gene,

I'm glad it worked for you. If you are one that takes off slowly it may come back but if you give it more throttle on take off it seems to keep the squeal away for a much longer time. If I take off somewhat aggressively, and I don't mean racing either, then it may not come back. It seems for me that slow take offs and stop and go traffic may bring back that "chirp". I don't a squeal but a very quick "chirp" if I get in slow stop and go traffic or slow starts.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: New squeak in left rear when accelerating   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 9:19 am

With that whining on departure, the belt is often mentioned.

I think it's the clutch.
And only the clutch.

And it's just annoying.
But do not worry.

Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
HayvenMoses
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2020-10-14

PostSubject: Re: New squeak in left rear when accelerating   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2021 7:08 am

Mine does the same thing,I also notice quote a bit of shaking when I first give it throttle,starting from a stop but not when Im riding. Is this my belt?
Back to top Go down
JazzDad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2023-04-29

PostSubject: Thanks!   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 29, 2023 9:07 am

I joined this forum for the express purpose of thanking JeffR for his reply of Sep 19, 2010, on this thread.  His advice worked perfectly!  I had the same symptom after replacing the belt on my 2003 Reflex. affraid

I know, this is where you gather the town's folk and drive me away with your torches and pitchforks.  

In consolation, my sister-in-law owns a Swing, but its sitting deceased in her garage (and has been for years).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New squeak in left rear when accelerating   New squeak in left rear when accelerating I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New squeak in left rear when accelerating
Page 1 of 1