Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» New member from Europe
Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose?

Go down 
+3
honda_silver
MikeO
Sweendog
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? Empty
PostSubject: Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose?   Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 4:52 pm

Hi Everyone,
I recently received Dennis's well designed GPS mount plate, and am planning to install a power cable and mount arm, etc. for my GPS. I have a Garmin Nuvi, and was wondering which mount arm and other parts people were using. I was thinking about getting the 3" standard plastic arm and plastic diamond plate mount, but found a couple of things confusing while looking around for the mount hardware.

1-Does anyone have the plastic versions of the diamond mount plate and standard length (3") arm? If so, is the plastic sturdy enough, or should I shell out the extra $ for the aluminum versions?

2-Does the standard 3" arm put the GPS in a good position to see, and not block much of the instrument panel?

3- Is there a combo offer anywhere for just the arm and the diamond plate?

4- When using the RAM mount plate system, do you still attach the standard Garmin mount w/power cord etc. to the GPS, or are you just running it off battery power? (I'm still trying to figure out which power cord/option to use.)

Any other advice from people who've built out a mount would be appreciated.

Thanks for your replies!
Bill
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose?   Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 5:09 pm

I've got the Garmin Zumo 660 so the mounts, cradle and cords are probably different but.......
I have Dennis's mount with a 5" metal RAM arm which enables me to raise the unit without blocking my view of the dials and warning lights on the dash.
I use the power cord plugged into my 12V socket on the LH cubby-lid.
When I've sorted it, I will run the voice through my Starcom - at the moment I'm just on 'Visual'.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose?   Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Sweendog wrote:
I recently received Dennis's well designed GPS mount plate, and am planning to install a power cable and mount arm, etc. for my GPS. I have a Garmin Nuvi, and was wondering which mount arm and other parts people were using.

I have the original DennisB ball mount ( https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-links-for-parts-and-accessories-f6/custom-gps-mount-for-honda-silverwing-reflex-t67.htm#153 ).

Sweendog wrote:
I was thinking about getting the 3" standard plastic arm and plastic diamond plate mount, but found a couple of things confusing while looking around for the mount hardware.

1-Does anyone have the plastic versions of the diamond mount plate and standard length (3") arm? If so, is the plastic sturdy enough, or should I shell out the extra $ for the aluminum versions?

I have Garmin Zumo 660 which I believe has an aluminum arm.

Sweendog wrote:
2-Does the standard 3" arm put the GPS in a good position to see, and not block much of the instrument panel?

If you look at DennisB mount pictures, the last picture shows the position. With the GPS in position, the instrumentation gauges are not blocked ... only the lights below are blocked.

Sweendog wrote:
4- When using the RAM mount plate system, do you still attach the standard Garmin mount w/power cord etc. to the GPS, or are you just running it off battery power? (I'm still trying to figure out which power cord/option to use.)

Right now battery, I will eventually connect via 12 plug.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose?   Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 5:56 pm

I have Garmin Zumo 660 which I believe has an aluminum arm

Yes, mine came with the standard one.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose?   Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 6:34 pm

Hi Bill,

I would go with the Aluminum diamond 1" ball mount and the 3" arm. I believe RAM offers a life time guarenty with their stuff.

Power to the GPS. What I use is a Hardwire cable off ebay. These cables reduce the 12Vdc down to 5Vdc. I get my power connection off the large White head light wire on the scooter side of the front light connector. That small amount of power for the GPS is switchable, otherwise the GPS turns off with the scooter.

These Hardware power cables are only $17.00 to $19.00 and work well. You can remove the windshield and the right glove box to get it installed. I velcrod the powercable box to the back of the speedo.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=hardwire+gps+cable&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose?   Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 8:12 pm

Hey Bill (Sweeney),

The plastic arms and mounts are VERY sturdy. No need to shell out extra for aluminum ones. At least 3" length will be fine. I don't know if the short 2" arm would be able to clear the handlebars.

I use a regular 12v cigarette lighter Garmin cable and run that out under the lid (not the best way to do it obviously but I'm too lazy to take tupperware off). I also run a wire out to my helmet to power my bluetooth and speakers, and a wire out to my phone.

I buy all my RAM Mount stuff from gpscity.com -- maybe one of us might have a 10% off coupon you could use...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose?   Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 11:54 pm

DennisB wrote:
Hi Bill,

I would go with the Aluminum diamond 1" ball mount and the 3" arm. I believe RAM offers a life time guarenty with their stuff.

Power to the GPS. What I use is a Hardwire cable off ebay. These cables reduce the 12Vdc down to 5Vdc. I get my power connection off the large White head light wire on the scooter side of the front light connector. That small amount of power for the GPS is switchable, otherwise the GPS turns off with the scooter.

These Hardware power cables are only $17.00 to $19.00 and work well. You can remove the windshield and the right glove box to get it installed. I velcrod the powercable box to the back of the speedo.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=hardwire+gps+cable&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I followed Dennis' lead on this, and am very pleased.
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose?   Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 2:38 pm

I am looking at buying a Garmin 2460 or 3790. Does anybody know if they can be plugged into power and still operate in navigation mode? Where does the power cable plug in on the unit? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose?   Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which RAM GPS Mount options did you choose?
Page 1 of 1