Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Did You Know.....

Go down 
+5
Waspie
edbancro
GaryL
KurtPerthWA
bigbird
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 8:28 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 8:36 am

My Swing sits idle for a few days at a time so I have just added a battery isolation switch, wired so it is still able to put the battery on float charge while isolating the rest of the electronics/ electrical system. Saves pulling out the battery.
While I had the swing in bits I relocated the camera and rearranged the under seat light wiring.

pics in album
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 11:36 am

I don't know much about the Swing electronics, but apart from having to reset the clock every time you reactivate it, you may also be resetting the memory of the Fuel Injection system. In cars these days, the fuel Injection computer starts with some sort of default, and it goes through various cycles of running, off time, and such to set some parameters into the system that builds a profile of that particular application to help the engine run smoother and with less pollutants. There are cautions in the owners manual about removing the battery and subsequently having to go back through this learning process. They even make gadgets to keep the memory alive with a small battery when the main battery is removed.

Does anyone out there know more about this, and does this type of FI profile building process occurr in the SWing?
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:30 pm

GaryL wrote:
Does anyone out there know more about this, and does this type of FI profile building process occurr in the SWing?

The service manual doesn't make any mention of that sort of relearning procedure, and my impression is that the fuel injection system on the SWing (and motorcycles in general) is a bit more primitive, as fuel injection systems go, than those found on cars.

I think the Swing was one of the earliest fuel injected Honda bikes to be sold in the US. The Interceptor/VFR800 got FI in '98, but I think that was it until the Swing came along.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 2:02 pm

x

Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks guys. I was wondering that myself GaryL.
l and had planned to run a 12v mini battery to hold info while charging. Honda state that it is necessary to disconnect batterty to charge anyway so disconnection is not a problem. running the battery flat regularly poses a bigger problem re life of battery.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 6:19 am

Like Kurt I tend to use the Wing daily.

BUT!!!! Always has to be a 'but'.

IF, always an 'if' too!!

If the beast is laid up for more than a week or so I will connect the battery up to a 'OptiMate' this keeps the battery in tip top condition. It will even discharge the battery and slowly re-charge if left for extended periods. (Never had the reason to go that far!!!)

I suffer massive two wheeled withdrawal symptoms if I haven't rode in a week or so. Ask Mrs Waspie!! She will agree I can be a bad tempered short fused angry person if I don't get a two wheeled fix frequently. Women may have there beauty treatments, all I ask is for a ride to maintain my boyish charm and immature ways!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 6:25 am

Thats your story, Waspie, I just ride the other bikes. The TS185 is the daily commute.
When it rains I use the V12 double turbo Merc. along with the other passengers. Did You Know..... 87062
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 12:43 pm

All I have is the Swing and a F150 Ford truck, since getting the scoot I've put almost 7000 miles on it and only 1000 on the truck, some of which have been by my 2 daughters or wife. I try to ride ever chance I get even though it might just be a short ride to the store, I do 90% of my grocery shopping using the scoot only time I use the truck is in heavy rain storms or for something too big for safely carrying. The only time the battery has gone down was when the seat was left open after my falling about 4 1/2 ft from the porch and my daughter shut it for me, I wasn't able to do much of anything for a couple of days due to back and it was dead when I got to it. Jumped it off rode it for a couple of hours and never had a problem since.
Craig
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 2:51 pm

KurtPerthWA wrote:
Thats your story, Waspie, I just ride the other bikes. The TS185 is the daily commute.
When it rains I use the V12 double turbo Merc. along with the other passengers. Did You Know..... 87062

I must have had a senior moment!! I was sure I read you rode the Wing daily. Maybe I should go to optician!!! Did You Know..... Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Kiwiscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 11:04 pm

bigbird wrote:
Edbranco is right on the money. The Swing does not use any kind of OBD1 or 2 diagnostics. It doesn't even have a port to connect a scan reader to. The EFI is very rudimentary compared to cars and light trucks. It's EFI map is pre-programmed in the firmware and is non adaptive.
If I understand my FJS600 German factory service manual then on section 5-6 it shows the Swing does have a service connector & on section 5-10 are the OBD flashing codes.
Even my SYM Citycom's EFI does have a scan port and removing the battery does reset the EFI (Mikuni).
I would take the Swing's EFI is way more sophisticated as it's PGM-FI.
Just my 2c.. but then what does I know as I don't have a Swing.
Kiwiscoot
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi Kiwi, it's Hammy! Looking for your old Citycom buddy?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 11:20 pm

x.

Back to top Go down
Kiwiscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 3:02 am

Hammy wrote:
Hi Kiwi, it's Hammy! Looking for your old Citycom buddy?
Hi HammyLOL, just looking at Swing stuff. Somehow I always seem to be watching them here in New Zealand secondhand. How's the Swing going, guess you ride it non-stop now - 20 000miles per year.happy scootingKiwiscoot
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 11:53 pm

My SW has set undisturbed for about a month at least once and several times for a couple weeks with no battery tender. It always started right up when I needed it. Sometimes the SW just has to sit around when I take a trip on big Wing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Did You Know..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Know.....   Did You Know..... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did You Know.....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: