Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Riding in higher elavations

Go down 
+3
honda_silver
DennisB
BrentS
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BrentS
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-07-24

Riding in higher elavations Empty
PostSubject: Riding in higher elavations   Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:11 pm

So i am doing a fairly long road trip from Chicago, il to Seattle, wa. than back down through Boulder, co. I have an old timer friend who has traveled many a mile on two wheels through most every state. He brought up a potencially valid point about riding from a lower elavation upto a higher elevation, and how that may or may not effect the Carborator on my Swing. My only experience with a large elavation change was driving through the Appalachian Mts, and those are ant hills compared to the Rockies.
Anyone have any experiences with that type of riding? How much of an effect does it have on the Swing? If it does, is it easy to modify the Carb on the fly to account for the change?
Thanks
Brent
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Riding in higher elavations   Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi Brent,

Don't worry old buddy. Your Silverwing is Fuel Injected.
Back to top Go down
BrentS
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Riding in higher elavations   Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:42 pm

Thanks Dennis for replying so quickly. My old timer friend is no longer permitted to own 2 wheels, you know, the wife/kids thing. So he is vicariously living through my single young adventurous self. Riding in higher elavations Icon_smile
Brent
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Riding in higher elavations   Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 12:10 am

BrentS wrote:
He brought up a potencially valid point about riding from a lower elavation upto a higher elevation, and how that may or may not effect the Carborator on my Swing. My only experience with a large elavation change was driving through the Appalachian Mts, and those are ant hills compared to the Rockies.

Anyone have any experiences with that type of riding? How much of an effect does it have on the Swing? If it does, is it easy to modify the Carb on the fly to account for the change?

I do not believe there is an issue with a stock (non-Power Commander) Silverwing.

I have a Power Commander and had my Silverwing dyno'ed with a custom map by Johnny Cheese. He said the map would be good up to 6,000', so at the higher elevation I may revert the map to the zero map (original) to avoid any problems.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Riding in higher elavations   Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 1:35 am

Brent,

I live in California now, but am an Illinois native myself, and I have had mine up to about 7,000-8,000' heights going up to Lake Tahoe and I didn't feel any difference whatsoever. It had plenty of power and did great. This was when I still had the stock screen, stock variator, and no Power Commander. So don't worry..you will have no problem at alll. Take some pics and but them in your own folder that you can create in the "Album" section. We would like to see pics of your Swing and of your rides.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
hot shoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hot shoe

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Riding in higher elavations   Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 1:58 am

One of the joys of FI is that regardless of the elev. the FI automatically adjusts for changes in elev. I live at 3200' and often ride at 7000'+ elev. No diff in performance at all.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Riding in higher elavations   Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 10:19 am

BrentS:
Your trip sounds like great fun and your Swing should have no problems with elevation changes along the way. I live in Littleton, CO (elevation 5,800) and regularily go into the foothills and even over some of the passes that are over 10,000 feet above sea level. I have noticed a drop in power above about 8,000 or 9,000, but every vehicle on the road will experience a similar power loss, so relatively speaking, you will still be one of the quickest vehicles on the road. It was the power loss at elevation that prompted me to modify my Swing to enhance the engine performance. In particular, the J Costa helps by boosting the engine rpms into the power band, so you can use the available horsepower and torque when you are climbing hills. Hope everything goes well on your trip.
DCC
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Riding in higher elavations   Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 10:10 pm

I routinley ride between 2000-4000 feet. Never noticed any appreciable loss in power. Occasionally, I ride to roads approaching 6000 feet such as Blue Ridge Parkway, Roan Mountain, Grandfather Mtn., etc... Again at this speed (usually 45-50), I've never noted any appreciable problem with loss of power although they are slower 2 lane roads. I use a power commander map from Bill that has worked well for me at these elevations as well as the lowlands. I've never noticed any type of symptom or behavior from the bike that would suggest an elevation issue. Maybe some of you who have ridden higher out in the big boys out west have noticed more on this in terms of powerloss?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riding in higher elavations   Riding in higher elavations I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riding in higher elavations
Page 1 of 1