Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

bike won't start after turning it on and off

Go down 
+4
jdduvall
john grinsel
Erdoc48
XDM©
8 posters
AuthorMessage
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2019-10-20

bike won't start after turning it on and off Empty
PostSubject: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2024 3:14 pm

So I started my bike and normal to get to work and it was fine but then I noticed that my license plate was hanging I turned off the bike so I can open my glove compartments and when I try to turn the bike back on it just wouldn't turn over. No spinning of the starter no nothing but the clicking noise of the headlight turning on and off when I try to ignite. Batteries completely normal as well at 14.5 volts and out of curiosity tried jumping it and it made no difference anyway.
I checked all the wiring it seems mostly okay for what I can see on the outside no internal inspection yet. I checked all of the fuses and they all seem okay. The fuel pump makes its a little normal whine when I turn the key. I'm wondering if the starter motor is damaged. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2024 3:25 pm

Any chance it is a problem with the left brake handle switch, which does not allow your bike to start? I assume it would be unusual to have it run and then not but I would probably start with some thing easier before assuming it is the starter motor.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2024 3:38 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
Any chance it is a problem with the left brake handle switch, which does not allow your bike to start? I assume it would be unusual to have it run and then not but I would probably start with some thing easier before assuming it is the starter motor.
I'm using aftermarket brake handles so that that removes that limitation. (Maybe I should check that wireing On the handlebar left brake) I did splice the wires together a long time back so that I can use regular brake handles.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2024 4:30 pm

After leaving it alone for a day and doing absolutely nothing with it I came back today and it started up like clockwork as it always does. Turned it off waited a second turned it back on and it  works just fine turned it off again and waited a little longer and now it doesn't start up again but the starter engine sounds completely normal and fine I wonder what it could be? I checked the wiring near the handlebar and everything looks fine up there. The clicking noise that it makes is near the middle part of the bike.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f32/20/12/59/48/pxl_2014.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f32/20/12/59/48/pxl_2013.jpg

This solenoid is clicking, but the fuse is fine
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2024 6:16 pm

battery age? charging system?
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2024 6:24 pm

john grinsel wrote:
battery age? charging system?
Brand new lithium ion battery (NLP14) installed this February, stock charging system I guess?
Back to top Go down
jdduvall
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2024-05-13

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2024 9:40 pm

Check the kill switch been there done that.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2024 12:59 am

Just a thought on my end. Could it be the kickstand switch?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2024 3:46 am

Sorry if I missed this point in the above but; is the clicking noise the starter motor solenoid struggling to make contact?
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2024 6:07 pm

I replaced the solenoid today and the issue still persist so I guess it wasn't that, I also checked the kickstand protection circuit and it's working fine if I move it the clicking stops in the bike will not even attempt to turn on same thing with the kill switch circuit which is all operational. All fuses seem to be okay. I heard of someone taking a soft rubber mallet and tapping near the starter motor to see if it's seizing up and for that person he was able to detect that the starter engine was failing
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2024 6:36 pm

I just thought of this. What about the cable connections to the battery and starter- sometimes the best fix is the cheap (or free) one. If not nice and tight, you may not have enough current flow to trigger the starter.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2024 6:53 pm

Welp as that YouTube video said, I just took apart the bike down to the and tapped the engine area with a rubber mallet and it started right up. Oh boy. Must I replace it or might it need liberating?

Hitting this also let's it start too
https://i.servimg.com/u/f32/20/12/59/48/pxl_2015.jpg
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2024 6:29 am

If you tapped it with a mallet and it starts, it indicates the likelihood of a bad electrical connection to the starter if under other circumstances it starts and runs well. Before tearing it all down and possibly replacing parts that don’t need replacing, start with the simpler stuff first- check your cable connections, even taking them off, shooting some CRC QD or equivalent electrical contact cleaner spray on them to remove oxidation, and reconnect. It may need a starter I guess, but I would say this is less likely for a Honda. How many miles on your Silverwing?
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2024 3:59 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
If you tapped it with a mallet and it starts, it indicates the likelihood of a bad electrical connection to the starter if under other circumstances it starts and runs well. Before tearing it all down and possibly replacing parts that don’t need replacing, start with the simpler stuff first- check your cable connections, even taking them off, shooting some CRC QD or equivalent electrical contact cleaner spray on them to remove oxidation, and reconnect. It may need a starter I guess, but I would say this is less likely for a Honda. How many miles on your Silverwing?

I have about 25,000 mi on it
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2024 5:04 pm

Should I try oiling it first before buying a new one or should I just replace it and be done with it?
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2024 6:46 pm

Try oiling what? More investigation is needed before just ordering and replacing parts. Just friendly advice, that’s all.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2024 7:09 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
Try oiling what? More investigation is needed before just ordering and replacing parts. Just friendly advice, that’s all.

I don't know, I never got that deep In the bike before. I don't know what I'm looking for or at but I see the motor online. I assume there's gears that might need lubricate that could be stuck
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2024 2:56 pm

bike won't start after turning it on and off Pxl_2016

Isn't this thing the starter? It's to the left of the radiator.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2024 3:55 pm

Hi XDM.

That is a picture of your coil.

Couple of questions..
when trying to start,
does the bike just sit there or(are you squeezing the rear brake hard enough to operate both micro switches)
does the engine just spin and spin without firing.
more info please.
Awaiting your response.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2024 4:02 pm

JohnyC wrote:
Hi XDM.

That is a picture of your coil.

Couple of questions..
when trying to start,
does the bike just sit there or(are you squeezing the rear brake hard enough to operate both micro switches)
does the engine just spin and spin without firing.
more info please.
Awaiting your response.

Be safe, be seen!
What coil is that and what purpose does it serve?

Also (against better judgment) I have the brake startup requirement bypassed because I installed aftermarket brake handles. This bike will start regardless of my brakes being pressed or not. The wiring to that is fine as well and working. If something was wrong with that I would not hear a click from the solenoid if it weren't working at all. That's serious tested because if I have the emergency cut off engaged nothing happens as well which would be the same thing that would happen if the bypass or holding the brakes weren't working.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2024 7:24 pm

A few points to be clear, only the LH lever "Limit Switch" with the connectors/spades facing aft is part of the starting circuit, the switch spades facing in are for brake lights only, IOW only the LH lever affects cranking. Both the "Limit Switch" and "Side-Stand Switch" must close/work to crank scooter, see attached diagram.
The simple way to check your starter, is to jump across big terminals on starter relay, engine should turn regardless/irregardless scratch of key position, etc., you're powering starter directly, best to check with key off. see pic.
Lastly this video kinda shows where starter is, not easy access Shocked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmEReZcaScQ

bike won't start after turning it on and off Sw7410
bike won't start after turning it on and off Starte12
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2024 7:38 pm

There are actually a few videos by " Stefano Bonacasa " on YT on starter removal/repair, really hope you don't need them pale Shocked
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2024 7:40 pm

I saw the video up there before and I stripped the bike down like 90% and still didn't see it. I'll really have to rebuild this thing aren't I?
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2024 7:44 pm

Kinda remembered one of your other post on corroding side stand, maybe check/clean frame multiple wire ground point, behind LH aft cover scratch
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: bike won't start after turning it on and off   bike won't start after turning it on and off I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2024 4:07 pm

Hi XDM.

Sorry I should have said ignition coil, it's what makes your plugs spark, would be a good idea to clean the rusty connection where its bolted to the mounting bracket, the coil body (not the connection wires) needs a good earth/ground.

Could be a reason why no fire up.

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down

bike won't start after turning it on and off
Page 1 of 1