Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Air Filter Cover Mod Post

Go down 
+2
MikeO
Cosmic_Jumper
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Air Filter Cover Mod Post Empty
PostSubject: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 11:54 pm

Does anyone remember the post(s) about drilling several 1 inch holes in the air filter cover to improve air flow? The same post may have also included some thing about enlarging the air inlet tube.

I've looked thru the archives, but can't seem to locate the info. But jeez, maybe I'm having a senior moment and that info was posted on another S/Wing forum.

Thanks for your help,

Tim
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3798
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 4:24 am

Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 10:11 am

Cosmic:
I completed that mod this past December and have been very pleased with the result. It does allow more air in and has the added benefit of changing the engine sound to a very nice low growl, a bit reminiscent of a Ducati. Performance wise I notice that I get quicker (as in immediate) throttle response.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 11:32 pm

The Scootist wrote:
I completed that mod this past December and have been very pleased with the result. It does allow more air in and has the added benefit of changing the engine sound to a very nice low growl, a bit reminiscent of a Ducati. Performance wise I notice that I get quicker (as in immediate) throttle response.

How many holes did you do, and did you modify the inlet tube?

Thank you for your post.

Tim
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 9:52 am

Tim:
I drilled 4 1" holes (tried to space them evenly) but I did not modify the inlet tube.
Back to top Go down
Chia KK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 12:50 pm

Dear Scootist,

May I know, any backfire problem, after you had installed your Leo Vince exhaust but without PC install.

Can you recall, will the 4 X 1" hole at the air box reduce backfire (if any)?

Will the additional holes cause some noisy sound? or affect low end torque?

Thank you

Warmest regard
Chia kk
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 9:52 am

Chia:
When I first installed the Leo Vince exhaust, I noticed that when I let off the throttle after a hard acceleration I got a little backfire. I'm not sure if drilling the holes made much a difference with the "pop" because it still happens sometimes, but it does allow more air in when I need it for FTA. I talked to my mechanic about it and he said that sort of backfire (on deceleration) is actually the result of the air-gas mixture running too lean. He looked at my spark plugs and said that they looked like they should. The holes do change the sound of the engine a little. It isn't too loud, but it has more of a throaty and "raw" sounding growl.
Back to top Go down
Chia KK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Dear Scootist,

Currently, had you installed the Power commander into your SW? Beside improve engine performance and fuel consumption (I guess), will PC solve or minimise the "pop" sound?

Thank you

Warmest regard
Chia kk
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 12:07 pm

Chia:
I do not have a Power Commander installed (yet). However, I plan to do it soon. I believe the PC will improve engine performance, give me better fuel economy, and reduce the deceleration popping.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 2:27 pm

Mine pops a little with 5 quarter inch holes
Back to top Go down
Chia KK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 8:39 pm

From Scootist,
I do not have a Power Commander installed (yet). However, I plan to do it soon. I believe the PC will improve engine performance, give me better fuel economy, and reduce the deceleration popping.

From Tankyuong,
Mine pops a little with 5 quarter inch holes

Hi Scootist and Tankyuong,
Check again, with additional holes at air box will "soften" our low end performance? Can feel it?
I believe the mid and high performance should be better? Can we grade this mod, 1 to 10?

Thank you

Warmest regard
Chia kk
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:12 am

At low RPMs the engine doesn't need as much air as it does at high RPMs, so I don't think that drilling holes in the air box will reduce (or change) low end performance at all. The addition of the holes will allow more air into the engine when it needs it, such as when it is running at high RPMs, and that is when it has an affect. Incrementally, drilling the holes is a very minor change in performance. It will change the sound of the engine a little, but the incremental change in performance might only be graded at a 1 or 2. It is when you put all of the performance modifications together, that collectively you see a significant gain.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:37 am

In my mind there is adifference and I will give it a 5
Back to top Go down
Chia KK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 2:35 am

Dear Scootist and Tankyuong,

Appreciated yours assistance. Thank you

Warmest regard
Chia kk
Back to top Go down
Jim Cater
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Jim Cater

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:31 am

HHmmm maybe I should put the busted filter box back on then, huh?? :D

Back to top Go down
http://www.gwrra.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cover Mod Post   Air Filter Cover Mod Post I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Air Filter Cover Mod Post
Page 1 of 1