Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record

Go down 
+2
Erdoc48
GHM-PM
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Bikeking19
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2024-02-28

Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record Empty
PostSubject: Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record   Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2024 6:49 pm

Hey fellow wing riders, I have a 2006 that I've had for about a year now that I love. I'm the 3rd owner, has 27k on it.
Mods are as follows:
1. Non-locking gas cap.
2. Kurayakn hand grips.
3. Givi Touring windshield.
4. AuxBeam Auxilary lights.
5. Wireless phone charging mount.
6. Dual USB 3.0 with voltmeter.
7. Dual USB 3.0 outlets.
8. Valentine One Gen 2, power supply hard wired.
9. Seat Air pad.
10. Highway pegs.
11. Molassi drive belt.
12. Dr Pulley 28g sliding rollers.
13. Mirror Extenders.
14. MDS Brake Master cylinders and adjustable levers.

Now, per the title which probably got you to click on the post, yes I am trying to set a record on this machine. In June of 2022, I set the record for the fastest time across America on a motorcycle on my 1999 Honda Blackbird 1100 with a time of 28 hours and 42 minutes and an overall average speed of 84 mph. In October of 2023, some good ol' boy on a Harley beat me by a measly 17 minutes...and that just will not stand. Of course, the Blackbird being one of the best sport touring bikes ever made is more than capable of improving that time, but I had been wanting to do the run on the Silverwing first and I think it's possible to make a run at it. I will be making a separate post asking some of the mechanics and mods whiz's in here what they would recommend, but yes I am running a 15-gallon fuel cell with its own fuel pump and fuel gauge directly into the main tank to help cut down on fuel stops.

When I'm not setting records, I enjoy giving tours around the Smoky Mountains and the tail of the dragon. Located in the upstate SC area, been riding for 16 years.
Attachments
Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record Attachmentsilverwingwithfuelcell.jpg
My Steed, complete with the fuel cell and fuel pump
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(282 Kb) Downloaded 23 times
Back to top Go down
https://www.bikeking19.com
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record   Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2024 7:27 am

Interesting concept. Not sure I would want to attempt it but good luck and let us know your progress. But averaging over 84 MPH? Not sure the SWing is the correct machine for this. Anyway here's to you!
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record   Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2024 9:49 am

I left an answer on the other thread you started (and looked at the pic with the fuel cell)- does that throw off the balance given that the fuel volume (and weight) is that high up?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record   Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 4:33 am

As I've been only vaguely interested since this topic started, I've just had a look at the Silver Wing pic with the fuel cell on, and it looks as though it's resting on a pile of firewood.  There's braided hoses everywhere, silly highway pegs that no self respecting UK maxi rider would fit, and goodness knows where your normal travelling kit goes, as with that fuel cell fitted, it won't be a simple matter to access under seat storage.

With that off my chest, I genuinely wish Bikeking19 the best of luck with his endeavours, and as they say on Dragons Den “I'm out”.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record   Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 12:42 pm

PSA, Kinda repeat, all Dr. Pulley sliders for the SW600 are exactly the same dimensions, the design/shape will allow the variator pulley to open more (lower initial gearing) and close more (higher top gearing), the slider wedge shape also has better mechanical advantage than rollers, so lighter sliders will operate similar to heavier rollers. But, just like rollers the weight/grams control the rate of acceleration, shift points and rpms vs speed, weight has no effect on mechanically achievable/limited top speed of the CVT pulleys and belt travel, just the amount of time to get there. Unfortunately, there's not a lot mods to increase top speed like cheaper/smaller scooters. For your intended purpose the 28gr sliders and Malossi belt are good picks, maybe add a white Malossi contra spring to tame down, belt oscillations/slap. Good Luck
Back to top Go down
Bikeking19
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2024-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record   Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 9:12 pm

Meldrew wrote:
As I've been only vaguely interested since this topic started, I've just had a look at the Silver Wing pic with the fuel cell on, and it looks as though it's resting on a pile of firewood.  There's braided hoses everywhere, silly highway pegs that no self respecting UK maxi rider would fit, and goodness knows where your normal travelling kit goes, as with that fuel cell fitted, it won't be a simple matter to access under seat storage.

With that off my chest, I genuinely wish Bikeking19 the best of luck with his endeavours, and as they say on Dragons Den “I'm out”.

Glad to see you fail to see what it takes to set records on a bike. Everything you mentioned is 100% intentional and necessary in its design. You could have come up with a different material for supporting the fuel cell but it serves the purpose very well. It's actually extremely easy to access the under seat storage, that's the entire point of the design and why it's secured with a heavy duty hinge at the rear and long enough line to allow you to simply raise the fuel cell up should you need access to the battery or fuse box.
Back to top Go down
https://www.bikeking19.com
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record   Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2024 2:46 pm

You are barking mad Sir, I approve wholeheartedly 🙂
Seriously, I will be good to see how an old bike like the Silverwing manages. 84mph isn't a problem, but to average that speed will be a challenge over any distance. Just out of interest what sort of speeds were you running on the Blackbird to achieve that? No need to answer that if it's pragmatic not too 😉
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record   Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hey everyone, I'm trying to set another record
Page 1 of 1