Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Too tall?

Go down 
+4
Erdoc48
Cosmic_Jumper
DickO
Robert Smith
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Robert Smith
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Robert Smith

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2023-03-28

Too tall?  Empty
PostSubject: Too tall?    Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2023 11:39 am

Seems that my seat makes me slide fwrd. I'm 6'2 and look like a baboon going down the road... I could loose some weight. Is this an issue?
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Too tall?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too tall?    Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2023 1:06 pm

Only if your comments are riling up the other "baboons" on this site... Laughing Razz
Back to top Go down
Robert Smith
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Robert Smith

Too tall?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too tall?    Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2023 2:52 pm

That's right, I'm sorry. It's the seat I'm sure. I didn't have this problem 25 lbs ago. So 6' 3 280lbs is the new Max load for the 2006 Silverwing. Better scratch " picking up lot lizard" from my bucket list
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Too tall?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too tall?    Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2023 5:02 pm

Dunno about this baboon stuff, but have you removed or raised the butt rest? That's supposed to give more leg room.

And, hey, if you removed that pointy hat you'd probably lose 2 inches too. Smile
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Too tall?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too tall?    Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2023 5:46 pm

I actually removed my butt rest, installed a piece of high density foam over the existing plastic protrusions from under the seat (drilled out the rivets that hold the brackets to the buttrest on and removed the brackets), then covered it with a mesh cover, so it all looks OEM. I’m 6’0” and found the buttrest to push me too far forward (and I suspect even raising it wouldn’t help me all that much). Now, I can ride the SWing all day long and in comfort. For me, this was the only workable solution, and now, I can ride with legs extended or under me. By the way, cost of conversion was only ~ $30, as the seat cover was $30 (Sit N Fly available on eBay). 

The only other option to get rid of the backrest would be a Corbin seat but I would assume the cost would be at least $500.
Too tall?  4ad1b310

Too tall?  D2336f10
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Too tall?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too tall?    Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2023 7:00 pm

"Sit N Fly available on eBay."

Interesting. Can you close the seat easily with the Sit N Fly in place? Does it rub anywhere?

How long have you had it? Does it wear well, i.e., stretch out over time?

I'm also 6'0" and removed the buttrest to get full leg extension. I left the brackets in place but they're ugly. Would love to cover them up -- although it's a shame Sit N Fly had to splash that garish logo on the cover. Ugh.

I ordered a few seats from Corbin for Burgman 650's and Silver Wings and each time had them remove the horribly-designed graphic they put on scooter seats (they turned their logo into a cartoon scooter). Corbin is happy to do custom orders so it wasn't a problem.

Also, what size did you buy? Web site has a lot of size options.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Robert Smith
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Robert Smith

Too tall?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too tall?    Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2023 7:32 pm

My seatToo tall?  16803912Too tall?  16803912
Too tall?  16803911
Too tall?  16803910Too tall?  16803911Too tall?  16803911
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Too tall?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too tall?    Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2023 7:33 pm

I’ll be honest. The sit N fly logo is not even noted by me any longer. The size is XXXL2 - here’s the eBay site:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133013363908?hash=item1ef836dcc4:g:2j0AAOSw6GJaCdU-

I bought one for the Silverwing and one for my ST- he’s a very good seller (great reputation).

What I did was use a piece of high density foam (which was part of a workout room square (you can likely source a small piece from Hobby Lobby or Michael’s at not too much cost to you). You only need thickness of ~ 1/4” (and as above, I took the brackets off, but you’re still dealing with the plastic protruding that’s part of the seat pan and not removable (I recall the piece I used being ~ 10” long x 1.5” wide to cover both hard points of the seat and used double sided tape to hold it in place on the vinyl). The cover goes on easily (and no seat removal is required- you don’t have to unbolt the seat from the bike- goes on like a sock)- the (slightly) harder part is ‘training’ the back of the seat cover to allow for closing the seat. What I do now is push on the rider seat to set the front latch, then I would pull the material off the very back of the seat to allow the back latch to be activated, then just push the material back over the rear of the seat (and at the rear, it finds it’s way around the seat back)- very, very easy and today, I was able to latch it without that procedure- I think the material finally has the ‘give’ it needed to develop. When you have to lift the seat, pop the back with the key, push on the rider’s seat and you’ll hear the release, then you’re good to raise the seat. I got so quick at this I can do it in a second or 2.

I installed my Givi Top Box today, so when I finished and closed the seat (I have Admore lighting on my topbox so I had to wire the SWing for that, it closed without issue.

Material is actually good and strong and the reason for the mesh is to let airflow run under you, so you’re not in direct contact with the seat vinyl (and just wash the bike without worrying about the mesh as the water will run off the vinyl (may be a good idea to use an air blower to force the water away). If in the sun, the seat doesn’t get hot either as the vinyl typically would. I noticed no stretch of the material either. On the eBay site, the seller has a table with the seat cover sizes, so for the SWing, it’s a XXXL2 at $30 shipped. 

Lastly, I’ve had mine I believe ~ 6 months.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Erdoc48 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Too tall?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too tall?    Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2023 7:35 pm

Wow, that’s a nice seat! Is that the OEM seat just recovered? That almost looks like a Russel Day Long seat.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Too tall?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too tall?    Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2023 7:44 pm

"Hope this helps."

All questions answered well, thanks much.
Back to top Go down
Robert Smith
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Robert Smith

Too tall?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too tall?    Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2023 7:47 pm

First time doing the picture thing... Anyway I'm actually 6'4 and with that hat ? Who cares... Too fat? A baboon? Big Bird? No friend invites here is ok too. Does anyone recognize this seat? Shirley it's prob for shorter gentleman
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Too tall?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too tall?    Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 02, 2023 4:16 am

OK, I'll bite, and don't call me Shirley. I am 6ft and the OEM seat does slide me forward slightly when riding.

It's never bothered me though. I just push myself back a little, particularly if I need to peer over the top of my 214DT screen.
Back to top Go down
winged warrior
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
winged warrior

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-08-31

Too tall?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too tall?    Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 02, 2023 7:35 am

weather psychological or real, I felt my oem seat had not the same shape or give after 9 years and
100 000 + km with my 200LB - after one time re stapling the cover material underneath I noticed how compressed the foam looked but did not want to try and replace it as a piece on the mold.

I ordered a whole new oem seat through Honda at a whopping $600 Canadian - It actually feels and looks great. I kept the old one in case something happens.
Back to top Go down
Spanky
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Spanky

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2023-09-11

Too tall?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too tall?    Too tall?  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2023 8:02 pm

I switched to a Silverwing because I'm short! I never thought about being too tall for a scooter. One of the few things that benefit my 5'4 frame. Airplanes are also good!
Back to top Go down
https://servimg.com
Sponsored content

Too tall?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too tall?    Too tall?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Too tall?
Page 1 of 1