Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Crash Helmet Maintenance

Go down 
+2
JohnyC
Loosemarbles
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Crash Helmet Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Crash Helmet Maintenance   Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2023 12:44 pm

I have an AGV COMPACT ST flip-face helmet and the latch has seemed a bit stiff and awkward to lift up, even without gloves on.

I had a look inside and here's what I found. This is the opening mechanism shown as if you were looking at the helmet face on. I imagine that most helmets work in this way:

Crash Helmet Maintenance Assemb10

Naturally, the cables will create a groove in the plastic runners:

Crash Helmet Maintenance Groove10

I applied silicon grease in all the plastic friction areas and now the face lifts up nice and smoothly. I can't do much about the grooves but I hope the grease will slow down the 'sawing' motion.

It's not the discovery of the century but I thought it was worth a mention. I suppose helmets in the upper price range don't suffer from such ailments.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Crash Helmet Maintenance   Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2023 1:23 pm

I would be tempted to try to Araldite a piece of cut up soup tin as an L shape where the cable is biting into the plastic cable run, certainly worth the effort.
Also AGV can supply replacement parts for some of their helmets range, again worth a phone call.

Hope this helps you.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Crash Helmet Maintenance   Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2023 1:33 pm

Thanks for that. I like the helmet and it would be a shame if it became unserviceable because of a bit of worn plastic. I suppose there's some life left in it yet.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Crash Helmet Maintenance   Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2023 2:00 pm

Seems to me that the motor cycle clothing industry is as guilty of throw away fashion, just like the normal clothing market, expensive Richa removeable lining all weather jacket...... all the various zipper tags broke off @ 13 months old and the velcro is also bald. same with the ankle straps on the trousers.
Do they even realise we use their items daily? seems to me they treat bikers as it's just a hobby, like sports wear is used once a week usually weekends. Gortex is no better, just twice the price loss when it breaks.

ok rant over.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Crash Helmet Maintenance   Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2023 6:53 am

Well supposedly helmets have a "useful" life. Most manufacturers state 5 years. a few 7 years. After that throw them away I guess. In blissful ignorance I was given (by my wife) a 3/4 helmet in 1978. Metal flake red!!! I used it until the early 2010's. Oops! The strap finally worn to the point it was dangerous! I am not sure of the 5-7 years but whatever.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Crash Helmet Maintenance   Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2023 11:27 am

Riding a lot---I buy 2 $40 new helmets a year-----for the 6 months they are in use, I use Windex to lightly clean inside---maybe pledge on shell to get bugs, etc off. Current like GMAX---they work with various visor combos. GMAX 3/4 lite weight, good for sore/fussy necks, too....and no ear hurt.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Crash Helmet Maintenance   Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2023 12:24 pm

I guess you use an open face helmet so you can keep that pipe going? I hope your using a Zippo!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Crash Helmet Maintenance   Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2023 1:38 pm

It might be worth contacting AGV and asking for their opinion. If the helmet is relatively new with little use AGV might well be interested, you might even get the parts replaced.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Crash Helmet Maintenance   Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2023 2:00 pm

I'm guessing that the helmet is about 4 years old, but with below-average use. I'll contact them to see what they think.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Crash Helmet Maintenance   Crash Helmet Maintenance I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2023 3:56 am

If UK members are considering throwing old crash-helmets away, please be aware that groups like St. John Ambulance - especially one with cadet members - often accept them so they can practise dealing with motorcycling 'casualties'.
Back to top Go down

Crash Helmet Maintenance
Page 1 of 1