Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

What do you pack for a road trip?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2022-05-09

What do you pack for a road trip? Empty
PostSubject: What do you pack for a road trip?   What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2023 1:02 am

Am currently planning a 5D4N road trip to Penang Island, Malaysia from Singapore. Will be the longest ride for me yet at just under 1,500km to and fro. Will be riding 2 up with my girlfriend.

What do you pack for a road trip? Roadtr10

Beyond the usual engine oil, oil filter change, and CVT inspection/servicing, what do you guys prepare pack for a trip like this? I was thinking of strapping 25L drybags to the pillion grab bars to have more space!

Some concerns I have would be that the roads leading up to Penang would be nitty gritty and filled with potholes, and that my Swing will bottom out as a result of 2 up riding.

Appreciate your thoughts and advice.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 997
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: What do you pack for a road trip?   What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2023 2:57 am

I would suggest loading up as if for the big trip then have a long day out with girlfriend to see how you, her and the bike cope for weight and comfort.
Even with the shocks wound up full you might find it bottoming out. We did so I replaced the rear shocks with Hagons, which cured the problem but they are a lot firmer riding solo on smooth tarmac.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: What do you pack for a road trip?   What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2023 6:40 am

For a trip of that magnitude be prepared. I have done several like this BUT w/o a passenger which makes it much easier. The Silver Wing is great for solo touring but not so much for 2 up IMHO. If you both are little it might be no problem but my wife and I are not!!! And her arthritis makes a scooter ride nearly impossible. That said, take it slow especially in the rough stuff (braking is the problem here). Plan fuel stops so they are no problem. Not sure how you will carry enough for two, but I take 5 days worth of clothes, a few tools and oil, phone charger etc. Take it easy and enjoy the ride!
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2022-05-09

PostSubject: Re: What do you pack for a road trip?   What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2023 8:28 am

steve_h80 wrote:
I would suggest loading up as if for the big trip then have a long day out with girlfriend to see how you, her and the bike cope for weight and comfort.
Even with the shocks wound up full you might find it bottoming out. We did so I replaced the rear shocks with Hagons, which cured the problem but they are a lot firmer riding solo on smooth tarmac.

Oh dear. My Swing has a pair of Hagon shocks; I'm not sure when it was fitted on.. but I already feel it bottoms out sometimes! Appreciate the piece of advice to load up on gear and see how the bike handles. Useful stuff.

GHM-PM wrote:
For a trip of that magnitude be prepared. I have done several like this BUT w/o a passenger which makes it much easier. The Silver Wing is great for solo touring but not so much for 2 up IMHO. If you both are little it might be no problem but my wife and I are not!!! And her arthritis makes a scooter ride nearly impossible.  That said, take it slow especially in the rough stuff (braking is the problem here). Plan fuel stops so they are no problem. Not sure how you will carry enough for two, but I take 5 days worth of clothes, a few tools and oil, phone charger etc.  Take it easy and enjoy the ride!

Unfortunately, my girlfriend and I veer towards the bigger side on the scale Laughing

I hear you on the braking part. I find that the Swing's brakes do become a little spongy when the road is a little wet. Thanks for your input!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What do you pack for a road trip?   What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2023 9:02 am

When I had my Silver Wing, and the lardass Burgman 650 before that, I went on a few Euro trips with Mrs M riding pillion. These were the only times I ever needed to use a set of soft panniers/saddlebags for maxi touring. I used a tunnel bag back then too, but I got fed up clambering over it getting on and off and ditched it.

Riding two up on both maxi scooters wasn't a problem, they both had enough performance to handle European motorways/autobahns, although I can recall the Burgman becoming a bit twitchy going through rural Holland in crosswinds, and because it was a heavy lump not so good on bendy roads.

I always upped the tyre pressure and rear suspension settings to ones recommended for rider and passenger in the Owner’s Handbook.8

The Silver Wing however excelled as a two up touring scooter. Obviously the riding gear we wear in Western Europe differs from what in hotter and humid South East Asia, and travelling light is always a good policy.

The only advice I'd offer to anyone carrying their wife or girlfriend is their safety and comfort is paramount. Treat them to regular comfort breaks, decent meals and drinks, and when they're getting on and off the scooter, brace yourself for the change in weight as they clamber on and off. Also make sure there's no loose stone chippings under your boots where you might slip.

An intercom in both helmets is excellent for conversation too. We had an Interphone set up where we could chat, I'd get Derek the sat nav voice giving me instructions, and Mrs M could play music into her helmet speakers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you pack for a road trip?   What do you pack for a road trip? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you pack for a road trip?
Page 1 of 1