Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Nail in the dark side coffin?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2022-04-17

Nail in the dark side coffin? Empty
PostSubject: Nail in the dark side coffin?   Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2022 10:23 pm

I just had this discussion with a poster in a thread in a Facebook Silverwing group. The other poster owns a scooter repair shop so he may have more exposure to this subject than the average rider.

I was unaware of this development in the dark side debate here in the US and it’s worth considering if anyone is currently running a car tire or considering doing so.

Nail in the dark side coffin? 10074d10

Nail in the dark side coffin? 11f7e410
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Nail in the dark side coffin?   Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2022 12:02 am

I've never considered dark siding but when I recently renewed my policy there was a section asking if I had made any modifications to the bike. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened to the quote if I had mentioned a car tyre on the rear.

It could be worth filling out an online form to see what happens.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Nail in the dark side coffin?   Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2022 3:41 am

Loosemarbles wrote:

It could be worth filling out an online form to see what happens.

It occurs to me that, knowing how quickly the Internet picks up any excursion into advertisements and so on, I should be very hesitant in filling in anything unnecessary on line for fear it may get into the 'wrong' hands. Wink
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Nail in the dark side coffin?   Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2022 4:16 am

Good point MikeO. I didn't mean complete the quote information to it's conclusion. Bennetts online procedure tells you immediately whether or not your modification will affect your quote and whether you need to contact them.

For instance, when I typed in that I changed my screen and that I had fitted pillion armrests it told me right away that I do not have to declare those particular items.

You could abandon the quote at that point with no harm done.
In reality it would probably be easier to call them and just ask.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Nail in the dark side coffin?   Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2022 4:41 am

Thanks for that.
I know most of us are very careful but it's so easy to slip up.
'Watching backs' is perhaps what friends do both in real life and on our forums. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Nail in the dark side coffin?   Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2022 4:50 am

Is this something we should be concerned or even care about here in the UK.

For a start we all know fitting a car tyre to a maxi scooter is illegal. You probably wouldn’t get insurance cover, and of course net telling your insurer gives them yet another excuse or reason to invalidate your cover.

Add to that any accident or collision involving your illegal car tyre shod maxi would likely result in prosecution. Or even if it's noticed by a passing police vehicle.

Presenting your maxi for the annual MOT with a car tyre fitted would mean a fail, and you'd still have to go back with a proper tyre to get it through it's MOT to be legally on the road.

As a final thought who'd actually fit a car tyre onto the rear wheel of a maxi scooter for you. I'm quite sure no bike dealership or a car tyre fitters would do the job as they'll be aware it's illegal too.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Nail in the dark side coffin?   Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2022 5:00 am

MikeO wrote: "'Watching backs' is perhaps what friends do both in real life and on our forums." thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Nail in the dark side coffin?   Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2022 6:09 am

As I dislike group riding and having another rider constantly behind me in my mirrors is both distracting and irritating.

The Bern (Hi bud!  Smile  ) is the only member of this forum I've met in real life, so you can count me out.

As for forums, they're what you make them.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Nail in the dark side coffin?   Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2022 6:46 am

My 'watching backs' remark was a general observation and not about riding motorcycles, more about friends and acquaintences. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nail in the dark side coffin?   Nail in the dark side coffin? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nail in the dark side coffin?
Page 1 of 1