Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 7:17 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?

Go down 
+10
smellybeard
Loosemarbles
artvarck
jeffinpittsburgh
Cosmic_Jumper
MikeO
Erdoc48
john grinsel
Meldrew
BrianInVA
14 posters
AuthorMessage
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-17

Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? Empty
PostSubject: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 5:02 pm

A lot of us maxi scooter riders are older or have other physical limitations keeping us off standard motorcycles.

The very first time I rode my 2006 Honda Silverwing, I almost dropped it at the first intersection, trying to just put one foot down. Dumb mistake, one I’ve never made again fortunately.

But my left leg is weak from prior strokes, making mounting a standard motorcycle difficult, with a bit of foot drop, making upshifting difficult, which was my primary reason to go to a maxi scooter.

I’ve realized that if I ever did drop it, I might have real difficulty picking it back up now.

There are several devices with a winch on a short stout post for picking up adventure bikes, big cruisers etc but they rely on using the frame or front foot pegs for the leverage to pick them up.

Has anyone with physical limitations thought of how to lift a maxi scooter? Is there a way to apply these type of lifts with maxi scooters?

Last edited by BrianInVA on Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 5:03 pm

This is the type of lift for other bikes:
https://www.keithproducts.us/product/dirt-napper-adventure-bike-spill-recovery-jack

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bVqbGMrxpWo
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 5:51 pm

If you have physical limitations due to ageing, illness, lack of body strength, weakness from strokes, or whatever.

You've really made a bad choice buying a maxi scooter like the Silver Wing that weighs 540 lbs in the first place.

Last edited by Meldrew on Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 6:14 pm

Meldrew wrote:
If you have physical limitations due to ageing, illness, strokes, or whatever. Knowing you have these limitations you shouldn't have bought a maxi scooter like the Silver Wing weighing 540 lbs in the first place.
Gee, thanks for that helpful tip, mate!

And what would you say to, say, a 109lb female who rides a Silverwing asking the same question, chap?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 6:31 pm

as 83 year old, 50% disabled vet----my rule is: if you cannot pick it up alone, you should not be riding it.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 6:36 pm

You asked the question, and by the way I had a stroke myself 11 years ago. I made a full recovery and rode my Silver Wing as normal until I downsized to a Forza four years ago. Not because of any physical limitations but because Mrs M had lost interest in pillion riding.

At the time and during my recovery I had no doubts whatsoever about selling my Silver Wing and giving up riding altogether if I wasn't physically up to it.

Maybe that's something you should consider.

Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 8:16 pm

Meldrew wrote:
You asked the question, and by the way I had a stroke myself 11 years ago. I made a full recovery and rode my Silver Wing as normal until I downsized to a Forza four years ago
In the past I had no trouble picking up any of my bikes, mostly sport touring Hondas. I already downsized from them to a Silverwing as a compromise due to my health history. Getting back on two wheels has been an integral part of my own personal rehabilitation plan, and at 56 I’m not willing to give this up.

I think I’ll try laying it on it’s side (with a friend’s help) in the grass on a carpet this week, and try picking it up myself. I suspect I can, but since I had the strokes, when I’m tired my muscles don’t want to cooperate and I’m just trying to figure out possible alternatives before my trip.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 9:14 pm

One trick I learned on the ST1100 (which at the time had a Russel Day Long Seat on it which pushes you up a couple of inches) was when I was coming to a stop, I couldn’t flat foot it as I can with my other seats, so I more or less trained myself to come to a stop with the bike leaning slightly to the right, so I could drop onto the right foot and this way, I wouldn’t feel like the bike would fall over on me. It might work for the SW as well. Then the left leg just needs to be strong enough to drop the kickstand when you’re stopping for a while.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 10:05 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
One trick I learned on the ST1100 (which at the time had a Russel Day Long Seat on it which pushes you up a couple of inches) was when I was coming to a stop, I couldn’t flat foot it as I can with my other seats, so I more or less trained myself to come to a stop with the bike leaning slightly to the right, so I could drop onto the right foot and this way, I wouldn’t feel like the bike would fall over on me. It might work for the SW as well. Then the left leg just needs to be strong enough to drop the kickstand when you’re stopping for a while.
I only dropped a bike once. That was my ST1100 which tipped as I was backing it out of a garage which had a rise at the threshold and caused me to lose touch with the floor. Another time my ST1100 was parked in the grass next to a soccer field and it got bumped and fell over. Both times I had no trouble nor hesitation picking it up. (I’m a big guy, 6’2” and 290lbs.)

Come to think of it, I also picked up my NC750X twice since I had the strokes, when it had a cover on it and it got knocked over in a severe wind storm and when a house mate knocked it over. That was easy compared to the ST1100. (And maybe I’m just letting the size of the Silverwing intimidate me. I know I’m stronger now than three years ago when I picked up my NC750X.)

The ST1100 was the best bike I ever had, only edging out my NC750X dct because it had so much power on reserve.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2022 4:11 am

I recall seeing some years ago a video concerned with re-righting a motorcycle
The main feature was that one should have one's back to the bike, bend the knees, grab the rail and straighten up, letting go with one hand and turning round just in time to stop the bike falling on to its other side.(I added the last bit)
I have not done this myself but I have the feeling that even with my dodgy knees I could manage.

Look here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=picking+up+a+fallen+maxiscooter
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2022 8:11 pm

MikeO wrote:
I recall seeing some years ago a video concerned with re-righting a motorcycle
The main feature was that one should have one's back to the bike, bend the knees, grab the rail and straighten up, letting go with one hand and turning round just in time to stop the bike falling on to its other side.(I added the last bit)
I have not done this myself but I have the feeling that even with my dodgy knees I could manage.

Look here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=picking+up+a+fallen+maxiscooter
Thanks.

THIS is the video that finally put my mind to rest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V-kw2zUkSI&feature=emb_logo
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 5:00 am

There's been YouTube videos around for years showing petite ladies picking up heavy bikes like Gold Wings and similar land barges. These are usually demonstrations at rallies and bike shows and while they're ideal for showing the technique if you accidentally drop a heavy bike manoeuvring about on a parking lot, or slip planting your feet down on loose surfaces.

What they don't take into consideration that a rider who has dropped or came off a heavy bike or scooter out on the road could have sustained some hard physical knocks and scrapes, be in pain, shock etc. They won't be happy about the damage sustained to the bike/scooter either.

I love that phrase riders use when they stack it by going too fast, beyond their ability, or not slowing down on dodgy road surfaces. They say “I had to lay it down because (insert any excuse here).”

You make sympathetic murmurings while really thinking, no you didn't, you came off because at the time you were riding like a bell end.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 8:02 am

I’ve only dropped my ST (when not moving)2 times- once was in a driveway many years ago, got distracted, didn’t have the side stand down, distraction got the best of me, and it fell- Second time was on a trip, stopping at a decline on ramp to put on rain gear, and the bike rolled forward. In both cases, no damage as it has tipover ‘wings’ on the sides.

Agree about the video the red head looks pretty calm, but when you really do drop your bike, it makes for a frustrating moment and takes a few seconds to gain your composure.

As for dropping the SW, it has such a low center of gravity, I would assume despite it being a 500+ lb bike, lifting it wouldn’t be all that difficult. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe not.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 10:15 am

Meldrew wrote:
There's been YouTube videos around for years showing petite ladies picking up heavy bikes like Gold Wings and similar land barges. These are usually demonstrations at rallies and bike shows and while they're ideal for showing the technique if you accidentally drop a heavy bike manoeuvring about on a parking lot, or slip planting your feet down  on loose surfaces.

What they don't take into consideration that a rider who has dropped or came off a heavy bike or scooter out on the road could have sustained some hard physical knocks and scrapes, be in pain, shock etc. They won't be happy about the damage sustained to the bike/scooter either. (Snip).

And that side-of-the-road ‘drop’ may very well result in the scoot going into a ditch, more or less upside down at that. So how does one extract/lift the scoot from that position?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 3:53 pm

I used the method successfully I referred to.
If one takes the view that every eventuality must be accounted for there is no point in saying anything.
The original post was concerned with handling the Silverwing if one had some physical disposition which made it difficult.
As someone in that position, I drew attention to a technique which may be of use in a particular circumstance.
I'd have thought it patently obvious that the bike in the videos was on flat ground; they did not show bikes in ditches.
I doubt if many, if any riders, even in the peak of fitness, are able to retrieve a Silverwing from a ditch so there isn't any sense it mentioning it.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 6:46 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

And that side-of-the-road ‘drop’ may very well result in the scoot going into a ditch, more or less upside down at that. So how does one extract/lift the scoot from that position?
This is the outlier situation where one would indeed need assistance, even if the rider is young and healthy.

I upgraded my AAA membership last week to AAA Plus, which includes motorcycles and trailers, and wouldn’t hesitate to call them in just such a situation.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 7:36 pm

MikeO wrote:

If one takes the view that every eventuality must be accounted for there is no point in saying anything.

The original post was concerned with handling the Silverwing if one had some physical disposition which made it difficult.

I'd have thought it patently obvious that the bike in the videos was on flat ground; they did not show bikes in ditches.

I doubt if many, if any riders, even in the peak of fitness, are able to retrieve a Silverwing from a ditch so there isn't any sense it mentioning it.
I asked this question over on one of the biggest motorcycle forums. Surprisingly all the responses were quite helpful and very positive and supportive. Frankly I’m amazed the behavior of the average posters at one of the big mainstream bike forums far excelled in quality and charity some of the responses on this thread.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 11:08 pm

BrianInVA wrote:
A lot of us maxi scooter riders are older or have other physical limitations keeping us off standard motorcycles.

A lot of us are older riders, but you incorrectly assume that it's physical limitations that keeps us off motorcycles.

I've been riding maxi scooters for 26 years now, and the reason I started was I lost interest in motorcycles generally in the mid Nineties.

The vast majority of maxi riders I know of similar age are pretty much of the same persuasion, physical limitations played no part in it whatsover. Like myself they've also moved away from larger maxi scooters like the Silver Wing and lardass Burgman 650.

Again not because of physical limitations, simply because we've all been there done that on motorcycles over the years. Slumming it in tents at rallies loses it's appeal as you get older, wives have lost interest in pillion riding, and you develop other interests.

Most important of all, the current crop of 300 to 400cc maxi scooters we're able to buy are better specced, more fuel efficient are very enjoyable to ride. Plus they can do everything we used to do on the larger maxi's.

Another factor to consider is we gained our maxi scooter skills and experience from riding them, not from asking endless questions on maxi and motorcycle forums.

If you don't like some of the responses and it is a forums you're on, don't ask the questions. Figure it out yourself which is something we all had to do before the Internet took over.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 11:24 pm

Meldrew wrote:
BrianInVA wrote:

A lot of us are older riders, but you incorrectly assume that it's physical limitations that keeps us off motorcycles.

I've been riding maxi scooters for 26 years now, and the reason I started was I lost interest in motorcycles generally in the mid Nineties.

The vast majority of maxi riders I know of similar age are pretty much of the same persuasion, physical limitations played no part in it whatsover. Like myself they've also moved away from larger maxi scooters like the Silver Wing and lardass Burgman 650.

Again not because of physical limitations, simply because we've all been there done that on motorcycles over the years. Slumming it in tents at rallies loses it's appeal as you get older, wives have lost interest in pillion riding, and you develop other interests.

Most important of all, the current crop of 300 to 400cc maxi scooters we're able to buy are better specced, more fuel efficient are very enjoyable to ride. Plus they can do everything we used to do on the larger maxi's.

Another factor to consider is we gained our maxi scooter skills and experience from riding them, not from asking an endless questions on maxi and motorcycle forums.

If you don't like some of the responses and it is a forums you're on, don't ask the questions. Figure it out yourself which is something we all had to do before the Internet took over.
I rest my case.
Back to top Go down
jeffinpittsburgh
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 10:26 am

I've gone as far as buying trike kits for my 2 wheeled toys. The Silverwing kits are scarce but available. My Road King kit was an easy find. My wife has had a half dozen strokes and I've always been afraid of her falling off. That being said, I recommend buying a Can-Am Spyder, (or a 600cc Ryker) love love love it. Not falling off, and feet never leave the pegs
Back to top Go down
artvarck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
artvarck

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2022-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 1:52 pm

It's unfortunate that such a simple thread turned so ugly, but alas, the Internet.
The only observation I would add that it is a a chore to get the SW on its center stand, if on even a slight incline (in the wrong direction). Fat beasts.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 3:49 pm

Without this forum, and hence the Internet, I would be struggling with many issues about my SW.

We have washing machines so that we don't have to go down to the local stream with a scrubbing board. Let's be thankful for what we have and enjoy the ride... literally small moped
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 4:31 pm

artvarck wrote:
It's unfortunate that such a simple thread turned so ugly...(Snip)

Aw jeez Jeff. I wouldn’t exactly call it “ugly”. Exchanging opinions and going off on tangents seems to be the way we all get along here. And you know that opinions are like a**holes —we all have one. Though some apparently have more than one Wink Hang around for awhile, engage with us more.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 8:57 pm

artvarck wrote:
It's unfortunate that such a simple thread turned so ugly, but alas, the Internet.
The only observation I would add that it is a a chore to get the SW on its center stand, if on even a slight incline (in the wrong direction).  Fat beasts.

If you find it a chore to haul the Silver Wing onto it's centre stand for any reason, you would have realised the weight was going to be a problem before you purchased it. If you still went ahead and bought the fat beast as you describe it knowing this was an issue …  scratch

Or practice the simple technique of how to haul the Silver Wing onto it's centre stand. It's not difficult, and having the scooter on it's centre stand is essential for servicing and maintenance jobs, checking tyre pressures etc.

Forum members have also explained how they get their Silver Wings onto it's centre stand in a number of past topics and posts.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 4:38 am

Chore to put SilverWing on centerstand? Just lack of proper technique or bike experience, period!
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 7:03 am

I find it impossible to get my silver bus on its center stand without first rolling the back wheel up on a block. I think it could be the length of the YSS rear shocks. When I got it the stand was missing and had to replace it before I could change the rear tire comfortably. Once I had it fitted, the first thing I did was bend the pedal nearly flat on the ground trying to jack it up on the stand. One person lifting didn't help; two lifting made it possible in an emergency and on the right slope.

Another black mark, I think, for the YSS rear units.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 8:11 am

smellybeard wrote:
I find it impossible to get my silver bus on its center stand without first rolling the back wheel up on a block. I think it could be the length of the YSS rear shocks. When I got it the stand was missing and had to replace it before I could change the rear tire comfortably. Once I had it fitted, the first thing I did was bend the pedal nearly flat on the ground trying to jack it up on the stand. One person lifting didn't help; two lifting made it possible in an emergency and on the right slope.

Another black mark, I think, for the YSS rear units.

I think this to be true…when I first put a slightly taller rear tire on the ST1100 (160/70/17 to 170/60/17 due to tire availability), I noted it takes more effort to get it on the center stand- I don’t recall that being an issue in the past prior to the tire size change. A block does help as it elevates the rear wheel just a bit.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 4:49 pm

Brian, at your age and size, despite some physical limitations, you have many years to enjoy your SWing. Your own research, along with the POSITIVE suggestions above will go a long way in helping you out. Based on your research and experience, I think your thinking out loud here and learning from others who want to help, rather than hinder, will get you many years on your Swing. Despite its limitations, the Swing is one of the best motorized two-wheelers ever made. My age and accumulating physical limitations caused me to go to a lighter bike, but I miss the comfort of the Swing, which, ironically, its heavier weight gave me. As for the "nattering nabobs of negativism" (Spiro Agnew), we can just write that off as the cost of doing business.

Congrats on planning ahead.

That Dirt Napper is a good product, and could make a difference in an emergency. Did you notice the hook option? On a Swing maybe somewhere that hook could work. As expensive as the Dirt Napper is ($195+), there are probably many crafters on this forum that could make a similar tool at a fraction of that cost. The key is to make something light enough, strong enough, and "packable" enough. Kind of reminds me of the advantage gained like with a log roller leverage tool.

As suggested above, the Swing's low center of gravity, along with your physical strength, would probably be enough to get the bike up as easily as in those videos. I think once you give it a try on a soft piece of earth, with a friend nearby for safety, you will do it. Peace of mind from then on.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 6:19 pm

bikehiker wrote:
Brian, at your age and size, despite some physical limitations, you have many years to enjoy your SWing. Your own research, along with the POSITIVE suggestions above will go a long way in helping you out.  Based on your research and experience, I think your thinking out loud here and learning from others who want to help, rather than hinder, will get you many years on your Swing.  Despite its limitations, the Swing is one of the best motorized two-wheelers ever made.  My age and accumulating physical limitations caused me to go to a lighter bike, but I miss the comfort of the Swing, which, ironically, its heavier weight gave me.  As for the "nattering nabobs of negativism" (Spiro Agnew), we can just write that off as the cost of doing business.

Congrats on planning ahead.  

That Dirt Napper is a good product, and could make a difference in an emergency.  Did you notice the hook option?  On a Swing maybe somewhere that hook could work.  As expensive as the Dirt Napper is ($195+), there are probably many crafters on this forum that could make a similar tool at a fraction of that cost.  The key is to make something light enough, strong enough, and "packable" enough.  Kind of reminds me of the advantage gained like with a log roller leverage tool.  

As suggested above, the Swing's low center of gravity, along with your physical strength, would probably be enough to get the bike up as easily as in those videos.  I think once you give it a try on a soft piece of earth, with a friend nearby for safety, you will do it.  Peace of mind from then on.

Thanks bikehiker.

A friend and I just went out and gently laid the Silverwing over on the grass, completely on its side. I decided to pick it up as I’ve picked up bikes in the past, facing it. I applied the parking brake and locked the handlebars towards me.

Getting it up from flat on its side to resting on the tires, about 45 degrees, was easy. I readjusted my feet then going from there to standing it straight up was a real grunt, but easily enough done in the end.

If I can lift it facing the bike, under ideal conditions, I feel I can also lift it, with my back to the seat, under less than ideal situations.

Yes, it was a lot more difficult to pick up than I remember when picking up my ST1100, well before I had strokes. But it wasn’t ultimately more than I could handle now, as I had feared. So that’s one less thing to be concerned about as I plan a 1400 mile round trip ride this October.

What finally prompted me to try this was that I put my right boot down (my good leg) in a puddle of radiator fluid at an intersection while riding on Monday, and my boot almost slipped out from under me at the next intersection. If it had slipped any more I could have dropped the bike.

In the end, all I really needed was the encouragement to go out and try it, to put my mind at ease. And your point about the nattering nabobs is quite appropriate and well taken.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 7:43 pm

I don't believe a word of this gently laying a Silver Wing down and picking it up nonsense. Where's the photos of you actually doing this to prove it?

I'm curious because in the past you've taken the time to post pics of the rusty bits of your scooter you were concerned about, the weird trailer caravan contraption you're cobbling together, various bits of junk you've bought off eBay, and links to YouTube clips.

Considering everyone can take multiple pics or video clips  these days just by whipping out their mobile/cell phone, you've missed a trick here.

By the way, it's obvious and rather sad that both you and that other lad haven't a clue what a nabob is, or the type of person it refers to.

Never mind, Spiro Agnew didn't either, he just recited that 1970 speech that was written for him.

Go look it up.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 8:17 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I don't believe a word of this gently laying a Silver Wing down and picking it up nonsense. Where's the photos of you actually doing this to prove it?

I'm curious because in the past you've taken the time to post pics of the rusty bits of your scooter you were concerned about, the weird trailer caravan contraption you're cobbling together, various bits of junk you've bought off eBay, and links to YouTube clips.

Considering everyone can take multiple pics or video clips  these days just by whipping out their mobile/cell phone, you've missed a trick here.

How many blokes can snap photos while picking up a 500 pound bike?

Forgive me if I don’t go out and do it a second time just to snap photos for you.

(I’m a published writer so I do tend to be long in the tooth, ask a lot of questions and go overboard explaining and illustrating things. Mea culpa.)
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2022 12:15 pm

That lad in Hawaii that posted on here a few hours taking my name in vain has since deleted his post.  Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2022 2:55 pm

I don’t recall anyone taking your name in vain. But I deleted that thread. Your snarky comment created an issue here on the forum. Best that it all went away.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2022 1:37 am

I understand why you removed my post. I am surprised that you did not also remove Meldrew's post. He pretty mush called Brian a liar. My 2¢.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2022 2:57 am

Meldrew has implied that members are lying in what they say, including me. Up to that point I had never heard of the word 'Curmudgeon'. When I looked it up everthing made sense.

Let's not go the way of other forums and allow ourselves to get distracted from the subject matter cat

Personally, I've never tried to pick up my SW. I figured I'll worry about it if it happens. I suppose the answer is not to drop it in the first place rabbit
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2022 4:46 am

Meldrew was actually dubious about this claim that anyone would go to the trouble about wheeling their Silver Wing to a patch of grass, deliberately laying it down, just to see if they could pick it up again. Why would you do this, I wouldn't and I don't know anyone else that would.

By the way I didn't give myself the title of Visiting Curmudgeon or that rubbish Muppets avatar, but I took it with humour and good grace.

As for your never ending posts and topics on tinkering, fixing, and replacing bits, they don't interest me much at all and never have.

Riding maxi scooters is what I'm into, something it seems you don't do much of at all.

Anyway, it's yet another nice sunny day, I've got a full tummy, a full tank of E10, and I'm off out on the Forza.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2022 5:33 am

Good for you mate, enjoy the ride and stay safe. Me, I've got those pillion armrests to finish. I'll post them as soon as I can thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2022 8:28 am

Easyrider wrote:
I understand why you removed my post. I am surprised that you did not also remove Meldrew's post. He pretty mush called Brian a liar. My 2¢.

A PM has previously been sent to both you and Brian.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2022 9:25 am

BrianInVA wrote:

I think I’ll try laying it on it’s side (with a friend’s help) in the grass on a carpet this week, and try picking it up myself. I suspect I can, but since I had the strokes, when I’m tired my muscles don’t want to cooperate and I’m just trying to figure out possible alternatives before my trip.
I said I was going to do this. Eventually I did, for my own peace of mind, in anticipation of a solo 1200 mile camping trip on roads that often carry very little traffic.

It’s a quite trivial matter, certainly not worthy of the nonsense that it subsequently generated.
Back to top Go down
abel316
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2022-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2022 9:43 am

This is why I bought a trike, so as to be able to ride.
Back to top Go down
winged warrior
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
winged warrior

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2022 1:01 pm

I have always wanted to put a winch on my silverwing, not to necessarily use it but just to make it look kind of cool. I don't think I would be able to without comprimising the plastic on the front, maybe at the back through, but I wouldn't be able to weld. Any suggestions how to attatch a winch at the back of a sw?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2022 3:01 pm

Well, you've got me there winged warrior. What type of winch do you mean and what would be it's purpose? Are you talking about lifting your SW up if it should end up on it's side?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2022 3:50 pm

Awhile back I was at a bar frequented by the Harley crowd. Many of them came equipped with wenches. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
winged warrior
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
winged warrior

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2022 5:59 pm

concerning putting on a winch to haul 1000 pounds (or one sw with two riders on it stuck in a shallow lake)

I guess I got hooked on the idea but now I have to keep it REEL.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?   Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Picking up a Silverwing with physical limitations?
Page 1 of 1