Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» 2003 ABS info on recall work
Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Handlebar Holder Recall
Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Yesterday at 9:12 am

» It's that time of year again.
Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:31 pm

» Silverwing 600 Owner
Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:47 am

» I Need Help With The Brake Bleeding
Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:57 pm

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:35 pm

» A strange howl
Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeby 53Scooterguy Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:56 am

» Tip For Bleeding Brakes
Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:58 am

» Brake/Start Switch Availability
Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:31 am

» Passenger Back rest
Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Oct 19, 2024 4:36 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Missing parts on oil change

Go down 
+3
Loosemarbles
Erdoc48
glenrush
7 posters
AuthorMessage
glenrush
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
glenrush

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-08-14

Missing parts on oil change  Empty
PostSubject: Missing parts on oil change    Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 11:21 am

Missing parts on oil change  3f872910
Missing parts on oil change  D99fef10Hi newbie to the forum hope I’m not in wrong location to ask this , 2012 silverwing first oil change since I recently purchased it, pulled out drain plug no spring or filter screen to be found. I’m in Arizona in the states any links to purchase this or am I ok without it.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Missing parts on oil change    Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 12:01 pm

I’m new(er) to the site, so I’m not sure to be honest- that said, I have serious doubts about the utility of the screen and spring. I suspect as long as you change the oil regularly (and avoid sludge buildup/ use a good synthetic), you should be fine.

I would assume (maybe wrongly) the screen traps small particulates of metal that fall into the low oil pan (but isn’t that the job of the oil filter as well as the oil pick up tube screen?).

Actually, there is a thread about it:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t3477-missing-spring-thimble-screen

If it bothers you and you want to replace it, I’m sure Partzilla.com or Babbittsonline.com have the parts. I really have no idea what it’s for- I have 2 Honda MC’s (ST1100) and no such spring is on there.

I bought my SW with a fresh oil change- when I change it again, if I don’t see it, the scoot runs just fine…I likely won’t bother getting one.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1602
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Missing parts on oil change    Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 12:26 pm

I never really figured out the purpose of this screen because of the way it fits, but I feel better knowing it's there. The first time I came across it I discovered that it had been inserted upside down. It fits either way!

If Mr Honda thinks it should be there then I would fit one.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Missing parts on oil change    Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 2:42 pm

OK, it’s been a slow day and I’m off today so I did a little bit of research into the problem as well as consulting with my brother in Colorado. Attached is a picture of the lubrication diagram from the shop manual. It is quite interesting in that it appears that that strainer is the only strainer in the system versus a mesh strainer on the oil pick up tube (as would be expected). So it appears to be a necessary component of the oiling system.

So now when I do my oil change, if it is missing, I will have to get one.

Missing parts on oil change  86860a10

It is probably one of those parts that a mechanic would just assume doesn’t need to be there and leave it out due to laziness.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1602
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Missing parts on oil change    Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 3:59 pm

Bravo! Now it makes sense. Good work thumbs up
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Missing parts on oil change    Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 7:33 pm

Seen a lot of scooters with missing oil screens, some left out by careless mechanics, some removed by owners for better oil flow  scratch , on some scooters/motorcycles is the only means of filtration.
But is really kind of odd that is serviceable on a scooter engine that has a replaceable oil filter, IMO is more a metal contamination/failure detector on an engine with virtually no failure history, is "Like a Screen Door on a Submarine" = useless  scratch , on most vehicles the oil pickup screen is not user serviceable, no need  Rolling Eyes

IAC, with all that said, I would still install one at under $10 USD for spring and screen, https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/506c792df870023420a3c0b4/crankcase
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Missing parts on oil change    Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 9:06 pm

I'd install that screen it stops any large particles from going through the oil pump. It has tight tolerances and will wear or damage it. A well-maintained engine will have almost no build up inside, but others will have hard oil deposits that can flake off and get pulled through.

Every Honda engine I pulled the oil pan on had a screen on the pickup tube.

Any metal in there it's already too late damage is done.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Missing parts on oil change    Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2022 2:32 am

If Honda think it's necessary I would go along with their decision on the matter, their designers know more about these things than I ever will.
The replacement are ridiculously cheap.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Missing parts on oil change    Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2022 7:28 am

" their designers know more about these things than I ever will. "

Maybe so in most cases, but plenty instances of "Design Flaws" out there, that caused plenty headaches and/or user had to fix !!, recalls and failures on any type/brand of vehicles in general, seem more common now-days, poor design or engineering scratch Fortunately, the SW600 is not one of them. cheers
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2614
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Missing parts on oil change    Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2022 7:35 am

I too have wondered at this filter screen and spring but since my Wing was bought new it is still installed. My Forza does not use this system and both scooters use a spin on filter...

My grandson had a Kymco Like 200 and it used the spring/ screen system but had NO spin on filter.
Back to top Go down
glenrush
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
glenrush

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Missing parts on oil change    Missing parts on oil change  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2022 8:13 am

Thanks for all the feedback I am going to get the parts needed.
Back to top Go down

Missing parts on oil change
Page 1 of 1