Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

First maintenance service by me

Go down 
+2
zrx212
KentuckyEd
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KentuckyEd
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2022-07-08

First maintenance service by me Empty
PostSubject: First maintenance service by me   First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2022 3:02 pm

Finally got some parts in and put new spark plugs and an air filter in.  At 4,712 miles and 18 years the air filter was dirty and in need of service.  The original plugs looked brand new.  I replaced them anyway since I had already bought new Iridium NGK plugs.  After seeing the original plugs, I know I didn't need new Iridium ones and contemplated putting the original ones back in.  I wanted to get some anti-seize compound on the plugs to ensure easy removal in years to come.  Apparently modern ignition systems burn hot enough to keep plugs looking like new for a long, long time.

The hardest part was putting air in the rear tire.  Tire date codes are 4203 so I'm pretty sure that they're original,  they are the Bridgestone Hoop tires.  The valve stem angle has the stem pointing to the exhaust side.  In order to get the chuck on the valve stem I had to lay on the floor and contort my arthritic body to fit the air chuck to the valve stem.  Did Honda put this angle piece on backwards?  Should the valve stem point toward the other side?  Seems to me it would be much easier that way.
Attachments
First maintenance service by me Attachmentair_filter_4712_miles (Large).jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(141 Kb) Downloaded 18 times
First maintenance service by me Attachmentspark_plugs_4712_miles_01 (Large).jpg
(97 Kb) Downloaded 10 times
Back to top Go down
KentuckyEd
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First maintenance service by me   First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2022 3:08 pm

Well Looks like I can only add 2 photos to a post??  The tire valve stem photos should be below.
Attachments
First maintenance service by me Attachmentrear wheel valve 02 (Large).jpg
(58 Kb) Downloaded 20 times
First maintenance service by me Attachmentrear wheel valve 01 (Large).jpg
(82 Kb) Downloaded 10 times
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: First maintenance service by me   First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2022 9:52 pm

Hi+Welcome, modern zinc plated (shinny) spark plugs do not require anti-seize, if you want to use it, scratch very little and never on 1st threads, reduce torque to 10ft/lbs or 1/4 turn max.

BTW (Flame suit on Rolling Eyes ) you tires are Dangerously out of date !! and very possibly your drive belt, we had several oem tires fail over at the Burgman forum lately, 07+ Burg.400 uses exactly the same hoop tires as the SW600, your tires are 19yrs old !!, 14yrs past their "Normal" life expectancy. silent

BTW, tire valve stems are also due change. Age trumps mileage when it comes to rubber components.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: First maintenance service by me   First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2022 8:32 am

Valve stems---Honda has straight, rubber, short, high speed valve stems---that allow normal chuck to fit.
Good Honda Partsman should be able to help.
Back to top Go down
KentuckyEd
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First maintenance service by me   First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2022 9:38 am

Yes I know the tires and valve stems are out of date for safety reasons.  Just bought the scooter and I'll be ordering new tires very shortly, and certainly before I do any serious riding.  Probably order a new belt and variator air filter when I order the tires and maybe get a set of Dr. Pulley sliders on order also.  I'm learning as I go along here.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: First maintenance service by me   First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2022 7:23 am

I too replaced my spark plugs with iridium ones. Did that at 8K because Honda said so and I had an extended warranty. Most likely will never have to replace the plugs again!

As to the tire valve...a very stupid setup from Honda, DOH. No you cannot reverse the angle, it hits the swingarm! As John says above use the shortie valve like on the front tire. It is much superior and CHEAP. I too hate to crawl around on the ground to check the air pressure. What a Face
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: First maintenance service by me   First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2022 7:53 am

I, too, had the shorty stem on the rear wheel of my second Silverwing as the result of a puncture on a Saturday far from home and the mechanic who was doing-up a motorbike in his private garage nearby and rescued me only having a shorty valve.
Soon after, I bought a screw-on rightangle stem which I attached just for inflating the tyre when necessary - I didn't leave it on but kept it in the cubby.
I still carry one with me, just in case.
I also carry a short extension.
I know I've said all this before. Wink

https://amzn.to/3Pr3d9s

https://amzn.to/3cvrgW9
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: First maintenance service by me   First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2022 2:44 pm

Ed because the scoot tires are shorter than motorcycle tires ,Honda probably thought install a sideways facing valve stem. with this setup you should have a straight air chuck instead of the angled ones most garages a mechanics use.I, like most Swing owners still hate crawling on the ground to add air.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First maintenance service by me   First maintenance service by me I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First maintenance service by me
Page 1 of 1