Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hi from NZ

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
sonuvabug
No-Skates
7 posters
AuthorMessage
No-Skates
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-03-26

Hi from NZ Empty
PostSubject: Hi from NZ   Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2022 8:44 pm

Hey there everyone.

Been lurking for a little bit since I bought my Swing in February.

Bought it with the insurance money I got for wrecking my Gixxer. I was looking for a relaxed bike to spend the rest of the southern hemisphere summer on, and this came up.

I like mopeds, and maxi-scooters were on my radar thanks to Fortnine's Burgman video, so I decided to give it a shot.

Thought I'd have a laugh, but ultimately want to get back onto a sportsbike after a short while. That's somewhat true, but I wouldn't give this thing up to do it.

It's just so damn practical, comfortable, and easy to deal with. I've been riding for almost 20 years now, and I've never had anything that was such a breeze heading into town with.

I'm a convert.

It needs a fair bit of servicing. Already done the forks myself, air filter (which may never have been changed before, it was terrible), tyres are next. Somewhat cut the seat foam to suit a shorter rider, so it's not a cushy as it could be, trying to fix that myself. I assume the clutch and belt will be about due, hence what brought me here.

Would love to get a Dr Pulley clutch and a J.Costa variator. I see so much top end not being used, and I'm a hooligan at heart.

Not having much luck finding a Dr Pulley clutch, except for the enormously expensive one on eBay. My lurking on here has mostly led to dead websites. Where's the best place to get one nowdays? Also the best place for a Variator?

Cheers for all the info I've been able to pull from here already.

- DanHi from NZ Receiv11
Hi from NZ Receiv10
Hi from NZ Receiv12

Last edited by No-Skates on Wed May 18, 2022 8:53 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Repeated photos)
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Hi from NZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from NZ   Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 9:07 am

Great intro and welcome aboard the board Dan!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Hi from NZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from NZ   Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 10:26 am

Hello Dan. Welcome to the forum.

Here’s a link to Dr Pulley’s HiT clutch kit directly from their site. Price is USD so you might want to contact them directly.

https://drpulley.co/product/high-thrust-clutch-282001/

Also there is nothing wrong with the stock variator but many of us have “upgraded” to lighter Dr Pulley sliding weights. That said, some folks have chosen the J Costa variator assembly. And have been happy with the results.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Hi from NZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from NZ   Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 11:35 am

Welcome aboard fella.
Many of us arrived the same way; to slow me down, I just wanted to try a scooter, my back hurts, insurance issues, the list of excuses goes on. Then its "but I can give up the scooter anytime I want". Its a sad and sordid tale 😆
And it that a proper Gixer I see behind the scoot? I always will have a soft spot for them, but I just don't fit on them these days.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Hi from NZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from NZ   Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 1:11 pm

Welcome, Dan! Some great pictorials on this forum to help with most tasks! You sure have some pretty scenery there in NZ...
Back to top Go down
No-Skates
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-03-26

Hi from NZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from NZ   Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 4:06 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
Great intro and welcome aboard the board Dan!
Cheers dude!

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Hello Dan. Welcome to the forum.

Here’s a link to Dr Pulley’s HiT clutch kit directly from their site. Price is USD so you might want to contact them directly.

https://drpulley.co/product/high-thrust-clutch-282001/

Also there is nothing wrong with the stock variator but many of us have “upgraded” to lighter Dr Pulley sliding weights. That said, some folks have chosen the J Costa variator assembly. And have been happy with the results.
Excellent, that's much more affordable.

It might be worth trying the weights first, if I was already getting a clutch off them.

I'm a yobbo that would like to see this thing wheelie.

steve_h80 wrote:
Welcome aboard fella.
Many of us arrived the same way; to slow me down, I just wanted to try a scooter, my back hurts, insurance issues, the list of excuses goes on. Then its "but I can give up the scooter anytime I want". Its a sad and sordid tale 😆
And it that a proper Gixer I see behind the scoot? I always will have a soft spot for them, but I just don't fit on them these days.
It's a 1999 GSXR1100W. I'm second owner, and the first owner was the father of an elementary school friend. I was 9 when he brought it new, and remember sneaking into the garage to peek at it underneath it's cover. So there's a lot of emotional attachment to this thing.

I've had it 5 years now, but hadn't done many miles since I was a poor student. But finally had it on the road, with fresh tyres, suspension, etc, and went off on an epic journey. Unfortunately I binned it before getting to one of the best roads in the world: State Highway 6 between Westport and Greymouth.

It was my own stupidity. Perfect weather, good condition road, well signposted. Too hot into a corner, locked up the rear.

It's written off. Small dent in the frame was enough to condemn it, and towing charges from the middle of nowhere would've cost the insurance company dearly. They paid out no fuss and I bought it off them. Maybe I could've played them to write it off on the fairings alone, hiding the dent, keeping it's title live, but what's done is done now. I've since sourced a replacement frame with a title, so it'll be road worthy once more. Always wanted a turbo Gixxer streetighter project.

Also these are just the vehicles I have in this town. Back in my home town, I have another FA50, a Honda CT110, an Aprilia Tuono in boxes, and a 1976 Suzuki Fronte Coupe. My attention is a little divided...

GHM-PM wrote:
Welcome, Dan! Some great pictorials on this forum to help with most tasks! You sure have some pretty scenery there in NZ...
The fork tutorial was very helpful, especially the plunger getting lodged at the bottom during assembly. First fork took me 3 hours trying to figure out why it was getting stuck, then the second fork took me 15 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Hi from NZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from NZ   Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 4:48 pm

Welcome Dan to the BEST SWing forum on the net. As you've found, there's lots of info here with people ready and willing to help.
I'm a bit late on the WELCOME due to computer problems on my end. But better late than never, right?!
I like those photos you put up. Nice scenery!!
I have an 08 SWing that I had converted over to a trike a few years back and have no regrets.
Again, WELCOME!!
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2015-06-13

Hi from NZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from NZ   Hi from NZ I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 9:53 am

Welcome DAN,from Tucson,AZ.USA those photo shots kinda closely resembles parts of Arizona in a way. Your scoot looks nicely set up. Many of us on this site are considered "elderly" and ride the Swing because of the relax ,laid back attitude instead of want for speed and burnouts.Too many fast riders end up in hospitals or coffins . Enjoy the scenery and take it slower is my idea of two wheeling. Enjoy the Swing site.
Back to top Go down

Hi from NZ
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: