Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Driving Tips

Go down 
+6
MikeO
The Dude
Dale N.
Delray
MUCHoldERwingguy
steve_h80
10 posters
AuthorMessage
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2022-02-20

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2022 12:04 am

Ok, my experience of the two wheel motorized variety is not expansive to say the least, but I have enjoyed my 150 and 250 cc scooters. The SWing is obviously in a different class. 

I find going slow, harder than going fast. The other day, I pulled over on a steep (uphill) side road to turn around and nearly fell over when I almost came to a stop at the top of the arc. It's (to me) a heavy bike. It's amazingly fun, but can also be a bit intimidating.

Many of you guys and gals have been around the block a time or two. Wink

Aside from experience and training, are there any tips and/or tricks or just sage advice on handling a heavier bike? 

Any input would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2022 4:31 am

Training is the best, and least painful, way of gaining experience.
But my number 1 tip for riding any bike slowly is to drag a little back brake against the throttle.
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2022-01-29

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2022 8:01 am

Keep momentum, go where you look, look where you go. Practice practice.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2022 10:44 am

In 44 years of riding, I've had 0 accidents, been down 0 times and dropped my bikes 0 times.

I attribute much of this to two tips.

First was from my father, who gave me my first bike as a college graduation present (with the added dictate, "Now you have a way to get to work. Go find a job."). I never forgot his #1 riding lesson:

"Hold your arm straight out in front of you. Hold up one finger. Move that finger across your field of vision. See how small your finger looks compared to the background? That's how big a motorcycle looks from a car. NEVER assume a car sees you. Avoiding them is up to you."

Similarly, after learning the #1 cause of motorcycle accidents and fatalities is cars turning in front of bikes, I react to every car turning in front of me like THIS is the one that won't see me and will hit me. I never, not once, relax and take it for granted they see me and I'll be fine. I slow down, move to the right if I can, weave and erractically flash lights if necessary.

Occasionally I encounter what I call the creeper. Instead of waiting at a full stop for my bike to pass, this car rolls slowly forward, timing its momentum so it can accelerate smoothly into its turn in my wake. God forbid I interrupt the smoothness of their turn! What I see as I approach is a car in motion, getting closer to a collision with my bike. The closer I get, the more likely that collision becomes. I slow down and they keep creeping. I move to the right and they keep creeping. I have nearly come to a full stop in the middle of my lane in such cases, a 5 mph Mexican Standoff, demanding that they stop creeping, eliminate the risk of a collision, and let me pass without rolling at me. Curse words and middle fingers have flown, and they are always mine.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2022 4:24 pm

Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for. 🙇
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2022 7:19 pm

One thing I do at every intersection or car pulling out from a stop on a right or left side street is watch the front tire. You can see the tire start to turn before you can tell the car is moving.

But then, I always go so FAST I'm by the accident before it happens... At least that's what I tell people LOL!!
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2022 7:40 pm

Dale N. wrote:
One thing I do at every intersection or car pulling out from a stop on a right or left side street is watch the front tire. You can see the tire start to turn before you can tell the car is moving.

But then, I always go so FAST I'm by the accident before it happens... At least that's what I tell people LOL!!

Two times in my life I was saved by going fast. Both at intersections, and the other cart failed to stop. If I would have hit the brakes, I would have been toast, but I hit the gas and got out of the way just in time! Scares the crap out of me and the other car invariably slams on their breaks (after you are clear!). affraid
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2022 3:34 pm

There must be some more tips out there?

Okay so back roads... do you guys ride in the left rut, right rut down the middle? Why?

Car following, too close for comfort. Speed up? Or pull over? I have been tending to speed up as not a lot good places to pull over on the country back roads.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2022 3:46 pm

Itching to ride. Thought I'd get a little ride time during a break in the rain. Out on the back roads, got dark, then came the rain. I am going to try to find a deal on an OEM wind screen.

This GIVI is nice, no face visor required, and you look through it rather than over. But when it's wet, at night, it reflects headlights through the rain drops and you are simply BLIND until the car passes. Not a great feeling at all.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2022 3:52 pm

It was suggested to me on a BikeSafe* Day that it was generally unwise to ride 'down the middle' as it was the part of the lane most likely to be contaminated with oil and other detritus.
I guess one has to balance that with the possibility of 'Tram-Lining' if one chooses to ride in the ruts.
To be sure, one has to be alert to ever-changing circumstances.

*BikeSafe is refresher-type training sponsored and led by local Police Forces in the UK. The courses run for either one or two days and conducted in a positive but relaxed atmosphere. The days include classroom sessions and observed rides. There is no Pass or Fail element. I enjoyed my day very much and really ought to do it again.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2022 4:42 pm

TheDude wrote:
Itching to ride. Thought I'd get a little ride time during a break in the rain. Out on the back roads, got dark, then came the rain. I am going to try to find a deal on an OEM wind screen.

This GIVI is nice, no face visor required, and you look through it rather than over. But when it's wet, at night, it reflects headlights through the rain drops and you are simply BLIND until the car passes. Not a great feeling at all.

The Honda OE windscreen is rubbish, and most riders including yourself find out that 10cm taller Givi 214 DT is problematic too. Whether they're chosen it themselves as a taller replacement the Honda stock screen, or bought a used Silver Wing with one already fitted.

Looking through a screen rather than over it as you've found out seems a good idea in daylight, only to find out it's downright dangerous riding at night or in the rain, and there's nothing you can do about it.

You could find someone in your area who could cut down your screen by a couple of inches, and there’s topics on here of how to do it yourself.

The most popular replacement screen for Silver Wing is the height adjustable Givi AF214 Airflow, and there's dozens of topics on here about owners experiences with the Airflow, and a very handy Pictorial on installing one

Admin edit: https://www.silverwing600.com/t1938-how-to-cut-down-the-givi
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2022 10:20 pm

Meldrew wrote:

The Honda OE windscreen is rubbish, and most riders including yourself find out that 10cm taller Givi 214 DT is problematic too. Whether they're chosen it themselves as a taller replacement the Honda stock screen, or bought a used Silver Wing with one already fitted.

Looking through a screen rather than over it as you've found out seems a good idea in daylight, only to find out it's downright dangerous riding at night or in the rain, and there's nothing you can do about it.

You could find someone in your area who could cut down your screen by a couple of inches, and there’s topics on here of how to do it yourself.

The most popular replacement screen for Silver Wing is the height adjustable Givi AF214 Airflow, and there's dozens of topics on here about owners experiences with the Airflow, and a very handy Pictorial on installing one

Admin edit: https://www.silverwing600.com/t1938-how-to-cut-down-the-givi

Yup. Cutting it down is an interesting idea. I can "just" crane my neck to look over the top right now, so think I'll start with about 1.5" and see how that looks. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2022 3:21 am

Interesting what Meldrew mentioned about Bikesafe. I ride with a few ex police bikers and they are in a different league to most of us, if you can tap into that knowledge it's a goldmine.
Don't the police do similar courses over in the US?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2022 4:30 am

BikeSafe was in my post, Steve. Wink
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2022 10:54 am

Opps, I thought it was a bit sensible 🙂 It's an age thing Mike... 🤪
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2022 11:49 am

TheDude wrote:
Yup. Cutting it down is an interesting idea. I can "just" crane my neck to look over the top right now, so think I'll start with about 1.5" and see how that looks. thumbs up

For line of sight purposes, you can test ride a shorter windscreen without cutting it.  Simply apply some masking/painter's tape at lower levels on your existing screen.  Once you find the level that works for you, you'll know where to trim it.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2022 1:06 am

sonuvabug wrote:
TheDude wrote:

For line of sight purposes, you can test ride a shorter windscreen without cutting it.  Simply apply some masking/painter's tape at lower levels on your existing screen.  Once you find the level that works for you, you'll know where to trim it.

Excellent advice. I think it might be dry tomorrow, so I am gonna giv that a shot.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2022 1:07 am

steve_h80 wrote:
Interesting what Meldrew mentioned about Bikesafe. I ride with a few ex police bikers and they are in a different league to most of us, if you can tap into that knowledge it's a goldmine.
Don't the police do similar courses over in the US?

Yes, I found a few local classes. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Benzon1960
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Benzon1960

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2021-09-22

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2022 4:17 am

In Denmark like in most other countries we have a number of two wheeled fatalities every year. I recently saw some statistics trying to map out various findings.

By far the male drivers outnumbers the female drivers in general. This also applies to the fatalities.

Men are either in their twenties or middle-aged. The former doesn't know their limitations and typically end up crashing with no others being involved. The latter is a little more complicated but there are probably three observations worth noticing:

- We tend to fail when coming to a sharp turn on the road at medium to high speed leaving us to either cross into the opposite lane, or go off the road

- Cars in front of us turning causes quite a few accidents

- Time the day seems to play a role. Early mornings or around sunset seems to cause extra risk. One plausible explanation could be - particularly if driving out of town - animals suddenly crossing the road in front of you.

None of the above should come as a surprise, I guess. As DelRay writes earlier in this thread - you gotta stay alert to everything while driving.

Back to top Go down
https://www.linkedin.com/in/janrosencronevonbenzon/
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2022 12:32 am

^^^ Plus one.

An SUV turned in front of me last year. Still dealing with insurance. Neutral

I am HYPER vigilant (now, as we all should be. I would likely be dead had I been on my bike). The guy I hit was "waved through" so it's hard for me to fault him, but do you think the person that waved him through would step up to take accountability? Sometimes... people suck. :ubetcha:

Bottom line, don't DO it and don't FALL for it. Insurance insiders have a term for it. It's called a "Sucker Hole" for a reason. Shocked

I miss that car (2012 335i Hardtop Vert with M3 package and rare red interior). I had just got my official BMW service software and retrained my valves after replacing the valve cover myself. Crying or Very sad

Valve cover job.Driving Tips 15075510

After effects of a "Good Samaritan" waving a driver through the "Sucker Hole". My personal "after effects" included panic attacks. Something new and horrible.

Driving Tips 20205710

Driving Tips 20490010
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2022 12:37 am

Drove the SWing to work today. Light mist, but not real rain. I am going tom try "RainX". I use it in my car and truck and it works great as water just beads up and rolls off.

I don't plan on driving the SWing in the rain, but around here, you never know.

Anybody use RainX or similar?
Back to top Go down
Benzon1960
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Benzon1960

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2021-09-22

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2022 1:37 am

TheDude wrote:

Anybody use RainX or similar?

Like you we use it on our cars and are very pleased with it. Not tried on the SWing yet. Probably should.
Back to top Go down
https://www.linkedin.com/in/janrosencronevonbenzon/
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2022 4:53 am

I use Rain-X on my SWing and haven't had any problems with it. However, when I put it on I wipe very gently with a micro fiber cloth or one of those white "flour sack" type dish towels. I'm very careful due to the plastic windscreen. Car windshields are glass and can take a more vigorous rubbing.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2022 6:53 am

I've never been impressed with the claims for Rain-X.

The last time I used it was when I owned a Burgman 650 preparing for a trip over to Northern Ireland, With past wet weather riding experiences riding over there in mind, I carefully cleaned then treated the taller Secdem screen with Rain-X.

The reason being they have this very fine rain over there, it's hard to explain if you haven't ridden  in it. It's not like regular rain drops more like fine misty droplets. It’s very clingy on both screens and helmet visors, a bit like iron filings to a magnet, or **** to a blanket.

Of course less than a hour after I rode off the ferry in Larne it started raining and felt like it never stopped for the first couple of days.

The Rain-X treatment on the screen lasted less than 24 hours and then seemed to attract dirt and road crap like the aforementioned magnet. The Burgman got pretty mucky too as most of my riding was round the County Antrim coat where there's lots of sand blown onto the coastal roads.

This fine rain had even found it's way into one of the reflectors of the Burgman's twin headlights which took a couple of months to dissipate. The weather on the final couple of days were dry and sunny, and when it's like that riding in Norn Iron is rather splendid.

Of course I binned the Rain-X when I got back home.  Neutral
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2022 7:49 am

Meldrew wrote:

The reason being they have this very fine rain over there, it's hard to explain if you haven't ridden  in it. It's not like regular rain drops more like fine misty droplets. It’s very clingy on both screens and helmet visors, a bit like iron filings to a magnet, or **** to a blanket.

Neutral

Sounds a bit like what is called up here 'fret'.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2022 12:50 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I've never been impressed with the claims for Rain-X.
snip...  Neutral

To be sure, the RainX version I use is in the washer fluid reservoir. I know they have different types of products and I have only tried this one version.  

This one as well does not last very long. But a re-application with the windshield squitter immediately brings back the wonderful effect.

The application of this type is, of course, a concern due to the SWing's lack of a windshield squitter. I was considering just putting some in a squirt bottle and squirting the screen prior to take off.

I will try this and report back with my, hopefully positive, findings. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2022 12:57 pm

Dale N. wrote:
I use Rain-X on my SWing and haven't had any problems with it. However, when I put it on I wipe very gently with a micro fiber cloth or one of those white "flour sack" type dish towels. I'm very careful due to the plastic windscreen. Car windshields are glass and can take a more vigorous rubbing.

This if very important, as just looking at the screen wrong, can cause a scratch it seems! What a Face

I am an avid amateur astronomer and understand very well the pitfalls of cleaning and/or treating optics.

For example, most people are not aware that gun enthusiasts use Kleenex tissues not because they are soft, but because of their fine abrasive quality.

For cleaning plastic, I usually just use soap and water and a very soft cloth (most microfiber seems to be safe). Wash gently and no rubbing. Then I rinse with clear water with a soft cloth. YMMV. Smile
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2022 3:19 pm

There is a special RainX for plastic.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2022 3:28 pm

The following from an above response is good advice:

"I never, not once, relax and take it for granted they see me and I'll be fine. I slow down, move to the right if I can, weave and erratically flash lights if necessary."

BUT be careful about flashing your lights. It has been observed by some that the car ready to turn in front of you may interpret the flashing lights as a signal for permission to "GO ahead" and proceed with the turn.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Driving Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tips   Driving Tips I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driving Tips
Page 1 of 1