Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silverwing Drive Belt

Go down 
+12
zrx212
terrier
Meldrew
Dale N.
Mottza
sonuvabug
GHM-PM
steve_h80
Cosmic_Jumper
JamieB
john grinsel
Joe burned out dairyman
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Joe burned out dairyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2022-02-07

Silverwing Drive Belt Empty
PostSubject: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2022 2:22 pm

Ok Guys, I just bought my 2004 Silverwing late last fall just before snowballs. So I don't know any of the history on it. It now has 15,000 miles on it and the manual says the drive belt should be replaced at 16,000 miles. I took the covers off now whil I am not using it. The bel looks excellent to me. If it was a planetary drive on a combine/or swather I wouldn't even consider replacing it, but I don't know this machine. It is not frayed at all and the outside of the belt measures 25.5 mm with the tip of the inside kog measuring 20.2 mm. The top of the belt is nearly level with the rear sheave tops. There is almost no rubber dust in the cover. This belt looks like new to me, but I don't know the history. In your experience should this belt be replaced? Thanks for your advice. Joe
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2022 2:36 pm

Belt breaking on road---think getting run over from behind. new OEM belt best bet.
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2022 2:47 pm

Hi Joe,

I would just replace it due to age, not knowing history and close to mileage.

Don’t worry about measurements just swap it out for peace of mind, straight forward to do at home if you like to twirl the spanner’s.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2022 3:58 pm

I agree, replace the belt. Then reset the belt light , so that it will come ON after another 16,000 miles. Save the original belt for a spare.

That said there are many here that have used the same belt for over 20,000 miles without any problem.

As Mr Grinsel counsels go with a OEM Honda belt.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2022 2:02 am

Agreed, if in doubt swap it out. Belts are a service item, like oil and filters, and they aren't expensive.
A couple of things that have always puzzled me:
1. Why Honda came up with such a bizarre way of measuring the service width of the belt.
2. Why Honda never put a time limit on the belt. Belts used in other automotive applications usually say so many miles or years, whichever comes first.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2022 7:16 am

I agree with the above, play safe and replace the belt unless you simply putt around town close to home. Use Honda OEM belt.

My Forza has 15K on it and Honda wants it replaced at that time. I have no idea if the belt was changed before I got the scoot with 13K on it so I ordered an OEM belt for it and will replace it in May when I go to my summer digs. If I guessed wrong and the belt HAS been replaced I will keep it for a spare. Lot of barren miles in Northern Nevada so I would hate to drop a belt!
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2022 10:43 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
... snipped ... replace the belt. Then reset the belt light , so that it will come ON after another 16,000 miles. Save the original belt for a spare. ... as Mr Grinsel counsels, go with a OEM Honda belt.

Joe, just about everything about riding on two wheels is about risk management and people's individual risk tolerances.  The above advice is sound, sensible and will keep you out of CVT belt trouble.

Having said that, I put 23,6xx- mi. on my last OEM drive belt before I replaced it for the new owner.  It was regularly inspected, the housing was kept clean and yes, it was a little below FSM spec when I replaced it.  Performance change was marginal after the swap.   

Right now, I'm running my fairly new-to-me 2009 SWing on 12+ y.o. original HOOP tires, original fluids (except for oil) and the original OEM belt.  I decided to do this after thoroughly inspecting and/or testing everything and feeling good about what I observed.  10,000 km. later and all is good.

I also know in our northern climate of 6 months of cool/cold weather, we don't get the heat/ozone deterioration that some warmer climes experience. I guess that puts me in with the group with a higher risk tolerance.

To each their own.
Back to top Go down
Mottza
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mottza

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2021-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2022 10:12 am

I'm going to get the belt and rollers changed this month on my 2013 with 12500 miles. It should be OK. But for peace of mind. New rear tyre too is required.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2022 10:09 pm

Hi Joe, Like everybody says, replace the belt. It's a lot easier and safe to do it in your garage than on the side of the road.
Now I've been curious... If you took the belt off and turned it around would it be a new belt in 16,000 miles? It makes me wonder but I'll wait for someone else to try it before I do.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2022 2:21 am

Stop it Dale, there is always one who'll try it 😁
As the saying goes "never underestimate the power of human stupidity".

Of course what you really need is a mobius belt ...

Last edited by steve_h80 on Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4177
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2022 3:30 am

Dale N. wrote:
Hi Joe, Like everybody says, replace the belt. It's a lot easier and safe to do it in your garage than on the side of the road.

In my years on here I don't recall reading posts from anyone that's actually broken a a Silver Wing drive belt while out riding. Then were able to a come to a controlled stop by the side of the road in a safe area where they wouldn’t be hit by traffic.

There they’ve dug out all the necessary tools to do the job which they just happened to be carrying, removed covers and the remains of the broken belt, checked for damage, and replaced the belt.

Either a new drive belt they had, or that old ‘emergency' drive belt that was specifically changed because it was at the end of it's service life and they didn’t want to be stranded by a broken drive belt.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2022 6:30 am

Good point Meldrew! I carry a used belt on trips NOT to change by the side of the road but so a shop can do it for me... I do not carry the necessary tools to do the job and do not intend to either. However I carry a cell phone and have a roadside assistance plan that will pick up my scoot and take it to the nearest shop if required!

With that said I change the belt early so hopefully this will not be an issue.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2022 9:33 am

Meldrew wrote:
Dale N. wrote:

In my years on here I don't recall reading posts from anyone that's actually broken a a Silver Wing drive belt while out riding. Then were able to a come to a controlled stop by the side of the road in a safe area where they wouldn’t be hit by traffic.

There they’ve dug out all the necessary tools to do the job which they just happened to be carrying, removed covers and the remains of the broken belt, checked for damage, and replaced the belt.

Either a new drive belt they had, or that old ‘emergency' drive belt that was specifically changed because it was at the end of it's service life and they didn’t want to be stranded by a broken drive belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G40VUru4xJI
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2022 3:05 pm

terrier wrote:

Thanks, interesting video which I hadn't watched before. Of course being an old git I dozed off momentarily when he was putting the belt back back on, so I'll finish watching it later.

Apart from the car tyre on the rear wheel, I was quite surprised that someone in the group had a variator holding tool with them.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2022 12:27 am

Meldrew wrote:
terrier wrote:

Thanks, interesting video which I hadn't watched before. Of course being an old git I dozed off momentarily when he was putting the belt back back on, so I'll finish watching it later.

Apart from the car tyre on the rear wheel, I was quite surprised that someone in the group had a variator holding tool with them.

That's the video that partially motivated me to be prepared for long road trips on scooters, is just smart IMO. IAC barring consequential damage, extreme weather or bad condition/location, I could change my belt in less than 1/2 hour and yes I would have everything I need including "mechanics gloves".
https://www.silverwing600.com/t12492-say-hello-to-my-little-friend-new-tool.

He either had a bad oem belt, cvt issues or just bad luck, it failed just over 10k miles, IAC following Honda's (dumb) belt inspection/replacement interval would not helped him much, it was due at 12k !!, for those in that camp !!. BTW, I'm not surprised at all, that someone had that holder tool, usually on big rides/rallies there's a lot tools, parts and/or support vehicles, it makes the whole experience more enjoyable, helping others, etc. I've been involved from crash repairs, tire mounting to partial engine teardowns, etc. in hotel parking lots or campgrounds, in my many years of riding in rallies, most got back on the road, because we where prepared !!.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2022 6:17 am

Well I've finished looking at that roadside belt replacement video, and as interesting and informative as it was, it just reinforces my view that replacing a drive belt is something to do a thousand or so miles before the recommended 16000 miles, for peace of mind if nothing else.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2022 11:02 am

Over here zrx212 the usual approach is minimum tools and just call your recovery if anything serious goes wrong.
In fact there was a trend at some rallies to spend all your money on beer, use the tools to cunningly disable the bike then use the recovery services to get home.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2022 12:01 pm

The CVT drive belt discussions will continue, possibly just as long as oil threads. But there's some major differences between belts and oil as a consumable items on the SW600. Engine oils are highly regulated and are a high comsumption item, there's fierce competition for market share, IOW there will always be fresh oil and/or better oils available.

ITOH cvt drive belts are not regulated, you really don't know how old, your new belt is ??, it could be NOS, considering the SW is discontinued, can't see belt manufacturers investing on it, best bet for a fresh belt is one in a sealed package from Honda, mitsuboshi, etc. IAC, I have two NIP belts for spares, keeping in cool dark place, they will be replaced around the 8-10k miles, excessive ?, maybe !!, no more than 3-5k miles oil changes, but only one will leave you stranded or worse  Silverwing Drive Belt 1f623 Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2022 12:16 pm

Dale N. wrote:
... snipped ... Now I've been curious... If you took the belt off and turned it around would it be a new belt in 16,000 miles? It makes me wonder ...
 I don't see why not Dale ... it works with underwear, rotating front to back, and inside out for multiple wear surfaces and days.  Heck, if you're the right waist measurement, you can even use the leg holes for waist holes and get more combinations out of one pair.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2022 6:02 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
Over here zrx212 the usual approach is minimum tools and just call your recovery if anything serious goes wrong.
In fact there was a trend at some rallies to spend all your money on beer, use the tools to cunningly disable the bike then use the recovery services to get home.

Well relying on motorcycle roadside assistance to save the day(or a free ride home), is more like wasting your day here, most only provide 4 things, dead battery jump start, fluids(gasoline, oil, coolant, etc.), emergency tire repair and limited towing, here in the US, most will only get a ride/tow home if it's the closest to your breakdown location, otherwise it will go to the nearest repair shop of your choice and/or secure holding lot for you to retrieve later. You may be able to use their tools for quick DIY repairs. Policies are fairly cheap, but any indication that you overuse your benefits, could cancell your policy and have a effect on your overall insurance risk score, $$$., in most cases messing with insurance companies is not wise, they have way more knowledge/resources than most think.

IAC plan your events wisely, clearly did not have a designated driver Shocked

Back to top Go down
janes_jd
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2022-06-05

PostSubject: Belt Disintegrated while on a highway @ 120 km/hr   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 5:07 pm

Hi, I recently was riding on Highway 400 here in Ontario, going around 120 km/hr or thereabouts. The bike started wobbling badly and I had zero power. I could rev, just wouldn't go anywhere. It was pretty freakin' scary as cars are whizzing by and I was wobbling and no power. I managed to get to the side but it was a harrowing experience. I was on my way home from my M2 exit test which is the final motorcycle test for my license. I have only had the scooter for 3 weeks and this was only the 3rd time I have had it on the highway. The previous owner was an elderly police officer who did regular maintenance on the bike. The bike shop said that the belt had disintegrated, there was nothing left. Change the belts!! A few dollars for your life is nothing. I seriously thought that I was gonna get hit by an 18-wheeler. Cost $225 to fix it.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 7:21 pm

janes_jd wrote:
Hi,  I recently was riding on Highway 400 here in Ontario, going around 120 km/hr or thereabouts.  The bike started wobbling badly and I had zero power.  I could rev, just wouldn't go anywhere.  It was pretty freakin' scary as cars are whizzing by and I was wobbling and no power.  I managed to get to the side but it was a harrowing experience.  I was on my way home from my M2 exit test which is the final motorcycle test for my license.  I have only had the scooter for 3 weeks and this was only the 3rd time I have had it on the highway.  The previous owner was an elderly police officer who did regular maintenance on the bike.  The bike shop said that the belt had disintegrated, there was nothing left.  Change the belts!!  A few dollars for your life is nothing.  I seriously thought that I was gonna get hit by an 18-wheeler.  Cost $225 to fix it.

Considering that the Honda belt is currently over $150 USD, I think $225 is a pretty good price. They did use a proper Honda belt, didn’t they?

Hey, how about stopping by our Introduction section and, um, introduce yourself.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 9:42 pm

It's confusing. The V-light. I had an oil-soaked belt and slipping no V-light. Ran 26-24 sliders never a light. Reset it at 13K and it came on at 16K. I'm 675 miles from 32K and I'll bet it comes on then no worries belt is fresh. Currently using 24G sliders and I ride hard no light. ???

GBoost belt working great for $86 I'm sure it's more by now B inflation and all.
Back to top Go down
Holden251
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2018-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2023 11:39 pm

Has anyone used the belts made in Thailand? My understanding is that they are vastly superior to Chinese made belts. Just not sure if they can be trusted on a Swing.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2023 4:51 am

There is no guarantee either way. If you ask that fella in China to make you a good quality, high spec belt that's what you'll get, but if you ask him for something as cheap as possible that is what you'll bet. So don't get hung on on where it's made, western countries can make cheap junk too.
I would go for either Honda or another known make, at least I know what I'm getting and at £100 or less it's not expensive.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2023 6:48 am

Since Honda has out sourced a lot of their stuff to Thailand I am assuming a Honda belt would be fine... So if it says Honda AND it is made in Thailand I would not worry. I believe the new belt I installed on my Forza last summer was like this. As for me I have heard too many horror stories to use a generic drive belt. Honda all the way. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
StuartBrown
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2022-10-22

PostSubject: Silverwing drive belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2023 8:16 am

Re drive belt, I have just fitted a Mitsuboshi belt on my 2010 Swing.
Also run a 530 T Max, and about to fit a same make drive belt to that as well.
It has been stated on the T Max forums that Mitsuboshi make the belts for Yamaha, and that is what most owners fit. Same belt, different price!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drive Belt   Silverwing Drive Belt I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silverwing Drive Belt
Page 1 of 1