Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

watch out for mice

Go down 
+5
Dale N.
GHM-PM
oldwingguy
Mech 1 twa
winged warrior
9 posters
AuthorMessage
winged warrior
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
winged warrior

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-08-31

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2021 6:39 pm

Their Cute but...

Hey Gang, I just got my bike back from repair/storage and there was mice poop on my safety manual - how bold!  Further inspection revealed a chewed hole through the plastic where the manual/tools are kept.  There was one small chewed piece of orange/green wire under that with some more mouse poop.  I'm going to take off the floorstep and seat under cover and try and find the broken wires.

The FI and PArking BRake warning lights don't work - but everything else lights, cooling fan, etc.. works great.  I'm disappointed the mechanics did not notice the houseguest and am going to talk further to this in the new year - they were just working on the drive train but wouldn't they notice the warning lights not all lighting up when checking it?

If anyone has ideas for mouse deterrent please let me know and beware all ye who keep their bikes where there may be animal traffic-   I called the shop and left a message right away to let them know they may have more problems!  I have a sticky pad where the manual used to be and blew up and printed the wiring diagram but I don't want to have to solder the wires myself unless I have to.

Blessings and Best Wishes
Kevin
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2021 8:44 pm

Capsaicin tape made from some nice hot peppers mice don't eat it.  Wire coating it made from Soy mice like that.  

Found this also never tried it but stand clear you don't want it in your eyes.  Spray a little on wires and places to deter mice. I'm sure it will be gone the first time bike is washer though. watch out for mice Spray10
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2021 9:43 pm

Peanut butter on the mouse trap trip, one at each wheel, that and maybe a mouse bait in the under seat storage if you can't check traps.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2021 6:59 am

Thanks for the heads up! Hadn't thought of that. My Forza is in a unheated shed all winter so I will place some bait around. Have to go visit it next week anyhow, my Silver Wing is in Arizona in the garage and is driven frequently so should be no problems there.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2021 12:53 pm

Mice Love Peanut Butter. This is the trap I use. I picked up 4 of them at Walmart. They have a little cup to put the Peanut Butter in. The little cup comes out so you can wash it or refill it.
And, DON'T GET YOUR FINGER IN THE WAY OF THE JAWS EITHER!! The springs are strong and it WILL leave a mark.
watch out for mice Mouse_10
watch out for mice Dead_m10
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2021 2:00 pm

Irish Spring soap. I take one bar of Irish Spring soap, cut it in half, and put one piece under the windshield garnish and another piece tucked in under the left side panel in the wiring harness/ECM area. Sometimes a third piece up front under the windshield garnish. I also use it in the house. It seems that the critters just don’t appreciate the exhilarating fragrance of an Irish spring.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1553
Registration date : 2016-10-01

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2021 3:30 pm

Get a Cat...that's gross! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2021 6:45 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
Get a Cat...that's gross! Evil or Very Mad

I have 2 cats but they don't go outside due to dogs in the neighborhood. These traps are an instant kill so the mice don't suffer any.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2021 6:48 pm

They are probably French mice and can't stand the Irish Tim...
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2021 11:35 am

I get your point Dale but cats can also act as a deterrant. Better to keep the mice away in the first place, rather like Tim's solution.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2021 6:56 am

At my previous residence we had an indoor cat (pet) and two feral cats (friendly but not pets). The outside two kept mice, rats, snakes and lizards under control. Never had a problem. That option won't work here in Bullhead City as the coyotes tend to eat the feral cats...
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2021 7:15 am

Get a Cougar to eat the coyotes?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2021 9:14 am

A word of caution, IF you use the baits MAKE SURE your pets cannot get to them it will MAKE THEM SICK or possibly KILL them. Use the bait holders or place the bait up high enough they can't get to them.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2022 4:22 am

For me best way to keep bugs/mice away is use scooter every day, sometimes hard in real cold but ride on ice/salt free days seems to do the trick.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 513
Registration date : 2020-12-26

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2022 7:06 am

"Irish Spring soap."  watch out for mice 1f60e  I get the big pack of small boxes/bars punch a bunch of holes and place them in/around scooter/bike, works/smells good for attached garage storage. For winter storage in a  remote/separate storage building or shop nothing beats good old fashion "Moth Balls", it keeps everything away !!, very Toxic follow precautions, etc , I put 3-4 of them in baby food jars with perforated lids and place at floor level near walls inside building at possible varmint entry areas, 4-6 jars in a single car garage space. As a precaution since there's small children in family, I glue lids on with a few drops of super glue, etc. IAC you should lock building and if you have to access building during storage, open and allow to air out 1st.
Back to top Go down
winged warrior
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
winged warrior

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-08-31

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2022 6:32 pm

Thank you so much for all these suggestions, never in my 10 years as a SW rider have I encountered this problem - but there are always new challenges I suppose. I also heard using peppermint essential oil and screening off the air breather, I told the dealer when ordering a new underseat that I could have put my Grandma's mints in there to keep the rodents away!

Everything is fine with the SW now except the FI and parking brake warning light not working, I suppose I'll check the fuse and if that isn't working I'm going to take it to a Honda PowerHouse and leave the proplem with them. WW
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

watch out for mice Empty
PostSubject: Re: watch out for mice   watch out for mice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

watch out for mice
Page 1 of 1