Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie

Go down 
+6
Mottza
MikeO
steve_h80
Dale N.
Cosmic_Jumper
nooner
10 posters
AuthorMessage
gordie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
gordie

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2021-07-31

Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  Empty
PostSubject: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2021 6:11 pm

Got a 10 year old Silverwing last week with minimum mileage for a good price. Got scoot from the south of England and brought it back to God''s country, Yorkshire. First impressions are good but the screen has to go, it's aweful. Will be picking the brains of the members to make my machine better to get on with. The Wing has been bought because my other scoot a Piaggio mp3 500 has been off the road at a dealership for the last 3 months with a warranty claim and I was sulking so much that the wife said get another scoot. ( I'm liking the wing''s handling much better than the mp3 and for only 50 horses it don't half shift! ).

Back to top Go down
nooner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2017-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2021 7:42 pm

Welcome, gordie. Hope you enjoy your new-to-you Silverwing and this site. There are plenty of great folks here who are always at the ready to offer help.

And hope your Piaggio problem soon gets sorted. You must be a way better sulker than me. My sulking has never scored so big with my wife. I guess I'll have to keep trying to improve my technique. Any pointers? Smile
Back to top Go down
gordie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
gordie

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2021 8:11 pm

Shed real tears, onions work for me and hunch the shoulders! No seriously I've got a gem of a wife. I still went to biker café in the car to wave the lads and lasses off then went home and sulked.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2021 8:52 pm

Hello gordie. Welcome to the forum.

Regarding your windscreen impression, it seems to be almost a universal opinion that the OEM windscreen “leaves a lot to be desired”. Many of us here have switched to the adjustable Givi AF214 windscreen. A little expensive but you might also find the same screen by Kappa (Givi’s sister company) at a lesser price. I don’t think anyone here has regretted moving up to an adjustable screen.

Best of luck with your “new” Silverwing. And don’t forget to add a mudflap to the front fender. It’ll help keep the crud off the radiator.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2021 10:27 pm

Hi gordie and Welcome to the BEST SWing forum on the net. There's lots of info here for doing your own work on your SWing. The "Search" box at the top left is your friend. Or, just ask and someone will be able to answer you or point you in the right direction.
I think I got lucky with my windscreen when I bought my SWing. It's a Clearview XL. I think the XL means Extra Large, maybe. Anyway, I'm 5' 9" tall and my point of vision is about 2" above the top which works out great for me.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2021 2:05 am

Now then Gordie. I'm just over the border from you in County Durham, between us we've got some of the best riding in the country 😀
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2021 3:35 am

Hello from me, too.
I'm just up the road in Seaham and have been following Steve round the wonderful countryside.

I had Givi adjustable screens on both my Silverwings and they made all the difference.
There are plenty of tips here on how to fit them.
Back to top Go down
gordie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
gordie

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2021 3:51 pm

Thanks for the welcome, the Yorkshire wolds, North York moors, Cleveland hills, Yorkshire dales, Nidderdale AONB (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty), North Pennines AONB, the seaside places:-Flamborough head, Filey, Scarborough, Whitby, Sandsend, Runswick bay, Staithes, Saltburn by the sea, Durham heritage coast and Seaham, Durham, Tow Low on route to Gretna, Hexham and Hadrian''s wall along to Newcastle and a bible to Whitley bay back down to Barnard castle, Hawes, Skipton just to name a few of the many adventure's we can have on our doorstep. A great place to breathe the air and ride the scenic roads. Yer not wrong!

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2021 3:58 pm

Steve led us up to Lindisfarne, too; it was a long day but worth every minute.
Back to top Go down
gordie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
gordie

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2021 6:06 pm

Thank you for the info & welcome.
Back to top Go down
gordie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
gordie

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2021 6:16 pm

MikeO wrote:
Steve led us up to Lindisfarne, too; it was a long day but worth every minute.

Seem's like the airflow screen is doing a good job with the mile munching you are doing.

Last edited by gordie on Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gordie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
gordie

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2021 6:35 pm

I think Meldrew sent a message on this post saying that because I lived near to him, me being in East Yorkshire, he had a Givi airflow that was once on his last SW. I am willing to buy but the post has disappeared and he does not accept personal messages so I am in limbo, just my luck I suppose, I'm not ordering a new screen because I'm trying to do him a favour by giving his shed more space and thickening his wallet at the same time.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 2:18 am

The big difference wasn't the screen, it was that Mike's bike ran standard roller weights and did about 800mpg. Mine with 25gm sliders only managed about 8mpg - it went like stink though 😄
In a bid to avoid a national oil crises I've gone back to standard rollers, and just ride in a slightly more mature fashion.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 3:47 am

Meldrew's post about the screen is in this thread:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t12312-mr-gordies-windscreen-quest#125795
Back to top Go down
gordie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
gordie

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 4:23 am

Thank you MikeO, I did say I was a numpty at this computering stuff. I now know not to put owt else in the intro section, that's why it went missing cos it weren't there Doh!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 4:34 am

LOL!

I've done the same.

I looked on Meldrew's Profile; you will see a list which include, 'Statistics'.
Click on that and you will be able to click on 'Topics' and 'Posts' amongst other things.
I clicked on 'Posts' and there it was.

If you have a moment, click on a poster's name as it appears on the left-hand side of his post then all will be revealed. You can't do any damage by having a dig around. You can click on yours as well.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Mottza
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mottza

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2021-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 5:46 am

steve_h80 wrote:
The big difference wasn't  the screen, it was that Mike's bike ran standard roller weights and did about 800mpg. Mine with 25gm sliders only managed about 8mpg - it went like stink though 😄
In a bid to avoid a national oil crises I've gone back to standard rollers, and just ride in a slightly more mature fashion.

8mpg

I'll avoid the Dr Pulley mods I usually do then on my bikes on the Wing. Tbh its fast enough. I might fit a K&N as the standard filters are expensive and they do increase responsiveness.

Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 10:30 am

Welcome aboard the board gordie. I, for one, would be interested if you started a new thread comparing your Piaggio MP3 500 with your new-to-you SWing once you've put a few miles on your SWing..
Back to top Go down
Jamesy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Jamesy

Registration date : 2021-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2021 6:59 am

Hello Gordie, welcome aboard! I am on my second SWing and have kept the OEM screen on both. I like to feel a bit of wind buffeting me and my head. I do appreciate though when I drop my head down and try and tuck in, how quiet it would be if I fitted a larger aftermarket touring screen. Enjoy the ride pal.
Back to top Go down
gordie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
gordie

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2021 7:34 am

Thanks Jamesy, but you've got younger bones & muscles than me and I like a bit of quite rather than the wind screeching round my helmet.
Back to top Go down
Jamesy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Jamesy

Registration date : 2021-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2021 7:36 am

gordie wrote:
Thanks Jamesy, but you've got younger bones & muscles than me and I like a bit of quite rather than the wind screeching round my helmet.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2021 8:45 am

Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  6061c410

So I finally got round to getting my Airflow out of the shed and taking a photo before it started raining again for the umpteenth time.

As you can see there's no scratches, a few stickers which I'll remove, and I added screen edging on the lower screen 'ears or'wings', and black reflective material for enhanced night time visibility (it turns white when a light hits it). I have similar reflective patches on my Schuberth open face helmet.

On the other side of the lower screen is a small length of SAENG screen edging which smooths out air and raindrops rushing up the centre gap.

I've looked to see if either lower section or top screen with fit under the seat of my Forza, they won't. But I have an flattish Amazon box and plenty of bubble wrap to box it up.

The Airflow brackets and screws are in a separate small box. Anything else you're interested in like a Factory Service Manual, mirror extenders, or one of those rare as hens teeth DennisB sat nav mounts I have too.

If you're still interested, boxinging up all this stuff to post and insure will be quite expensive, but as you’ve been pretty vague about where about you are in East Yorkshire, I could bring the lot to somewhere like Pocklington Services on the A1079.

I went past there on the Forza on Thursday on my way to the 2017 UK City of Culture, Hull.

Thanks to Timothy's photo posting  tips, I've even managed to post the screen photo. Fellow curmudgeon

Does this mean J. Grinsel Esq will be doing it next! Smile
Back to top Go down
gordie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
gordie

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2021 10:08 am

Hi  Mr Meldrew, love to buy it from you if a reasonable price Could meet at Seaways Fridaythorpe if you're out for a ride that way and I could buy you a coffee, Or meet where ever you want.
Meeting arranged, price agreed, thank you Mr Meldrew. Gordie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie    Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi fellow silverwingers, I'm gordie
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: