Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Helmet Funk

Go down 
+4
GHM-PM
john grinsel
sc00ter
Mech 1 twa
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Helmet Funk Empty
PostSubject: Helmet Funk   Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2021 9:16 pm

I'm a bit over due to clean my helmet it's such a PIA to do but installing some new Com. gear it's due.
How often do you wash it out? once a year for me.  Poll helmet stench be honest.  Helmet Funk 1f630 scratch
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

Helmet Funk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Funk   Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2021 11:11 pm

I can pull my Schuberth liner out pretty easily then fiddle with it to reinstall it. So if I think it starts to smell (or get grubby) I'll hand wash the liner. Every 3 months maximum because I'm a clean face diva. My helmet gets stored at home on a wire mesh shelf so it can fully vent with the chin bar up and I have those little cedar balls as well. I also store my helmet at work on top of a locker with adequate ventilation.

So its approximately every 3 months because I'm more afraid of zits and grime than smell.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Helmet Funk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Funk   Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2021 7:13 am

I wear DOT 3/4 helmets, usually go thru 2 a year, right now GMAX, I do clean liner lightly with Windex and rag---- when they really start to stink=throw them away
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Helmet Funk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Funk   Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2021 7:24 am

I pull my liner about once every 6 months to a year and clean (GMAX helmet). Not a bad job. In the interim I use Febreze scent free to help from time to time. I always air out my helmet before putting it away too. Most guides say replace the helmet every 5 years and I try and come close to that.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Helmet Funk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Funk   Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2021 7:48 am

I wear a Silks liner in mine when I rode a lot I washed it weekly, the actual helmet liner maybe twice a year.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Helmet Funk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Funk   Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2021 8:28 am

sc00ter wrote:
(Snip) Every 3 months maximum because I'm a clean face diva. My helmet gets stored at home on a wire mesh shelf so it can fully vent with the chin bar up and I have those little cedar balls as well.

Ooo. Hats off to you Sc00ter. thumbs up Old as we are, I venture to say that not one of us here would admit to having “little cedar balls”. Wink

Sorry, Dale made me say it.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

Helmet Funk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Funk   Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2021 9:52 am

That's to funny! Good catch! I may or may not still be standing behind behind the little cedar balls! Stand behind, did it again.....
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Helmet Funk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Funk   Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2021 3:46 am

My experience of cedar wood is Cedar Planked Salmon at Ted's  Montana Grill, and squares of cedar wood I've been given to place in drawers to deter moths. I use Granger's Merino wash which contains natural cedar extract which is added to deter moths. Something to do with moth larvae being partial to snacking on fine quality wool.

I don't think helmet funk is much of a problem these days with modern helmets. They almost have adjustable intake and exhaust vents to take in cool air and let out the heat build up inside. You can also buy products to clean and fresh up helmet linings.

I remember older non vented helmets really made your scalp sweat in hot weather, and the linings did smell. It didn’t help that the linings of those helmets weren’t meant to be removed either.

As a way of keeping a helmet lining clean I started wearing those Silky helmet liners years ago, they weren't available over here so I had to buy a couple from over the Pond. I got the idea from US bike mags and some of the riders in my BMW Club days wore and recommended them.

They may have thought they looked like fighter pilots, I thought I looked more like a medieval dung gatherer or one of the peasants that collected the corpses during the Black Death.  Smile

I liked wearing them, despite the fact that the stitching could occasionally cause annoying pressure points on my forehead. I still have them, the Silky logo has almost faded away and they've been relegated now to keeping my ears warm under my cycle helmet in winter.

Usually I just swap between flip front adventure, and open face helmets, both linings are easy to remove for washing and refit. The liners are welded and not stitched so they're all day comfortable, and I have one of those large helmet donuts stand them on to air, and when charging the comm systems. A smaller size donut is part of my touring kit.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Helmet Funk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Funk   Helmet Funk I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2021 10:04 am

I clean the removable lining bit a few times a year, I usually just bung them in the washing machine with other stuff.
Once a year or so I'll fully clean the inside of the helmet using a mild soap and rinse thoroughly, the shower comes in handy for this. A lot of dead flies will come out of the vents, so DO NOT clean the helmet while you're having a bath. Don't ask how I know this 🥴
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Helmet Funk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Funk   Helmet Funk I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Helmet Funk
Page 1 of 1