Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

LED Headlights?

Go down 
+3
Meldrew
Cosmic_Jumper
garywyoung
7 posters
AuthorMessage
garywyoung
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2021-06-28

LED Headlights? Empty
PostSubject: LED Headlights?   LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2021 9:13 pm

Greetings! Has anyone installed LED headlights in their 2009 (or comparable) Silver Wing? If so, what kind of success did you have, which brand/source did you use for the lights, and what, if any, modifications did you have to make to install the lights?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

LED Headlights? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Headlights?   LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2021 10:51 am

There are, no doubt, several answers to your question here on the forum.

Have you introduced yourself in the, um, Introduction section?
Back to top Go down
garywyoung
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

LED Headlights? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Headlights?   LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2021 12:24 pm

Just did—my apologies for the oversight. As for the LED question, I’ve yet to come across recent discussions that don’t involve a lot of anti-LED admonishments, alas. But I’ll keep hunting.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

LED Headlights? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Headlights?   LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2021 3:16 pm

If LED lights are so important, most new maxi scooters have full LED lights as OE. They're on the Forza 300 and 350 along with traction control, keyless ignition, and multi function instruments.

Retro fitting them to now long discontinued Silver Wing is of course possible and I've read a few posts on here from owners that have installed LED bulbs/lamps or whatever you call them.

If it's just better main and dip beam on your Silver Wing's headlights,  it's a lot easier to improve things by simply replacing what you have now to the latest generation of halogen bulbs.

I have full LED lights on my Forza 300 including a couple of rows of 'eyebrow strips' above the headlights and indicator/turn signal running lights on the backs of the bodywork mounted mirrors.

After a few outings on the Forza, the novelty of having full LED lights had worn off,
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

LED Headlights? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Headlights?   LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2021 5:01 pm

Remember what ever you choose the lamp should match the reflector. Just because the lamp is brighter or whatever doesn't mean it's light will be correctly focused for riding.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2020-03-11

LED Headlights? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Headlights?   LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2021 7:55 pm

As long as the LEDs have the emmitters in the same physical location as a halogen filament, then the beam pattern should be practically unchanged. Just don't buy LED's with the correct base but a completely different emitter location; that is how you end up with dazzling lights.
Back to top Go down
garywyoung
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

LED Headlights? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Headlights?   LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2021 8:37 pm

Thanks for the reflector insights—very good information. Anyone have any brand names/links to lights they’ve had success with?
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

LED Headlights? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Headlights?   LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2021 5:51 am

It's always worth checking the legality of this kind of upgrade in your country / state and what it will do to your insurance before you get too carried away.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

LED Headlights? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Headlights?   LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2021 3:56 pm

Having purchased 2 new SilverWings, riding them over 90,000 miles---I would leave the lites stock---think trouble in the middle of nowhere....and maybe a stock bulb can be found. Honda put a lot of thought in the design and approval...over 20 years ago. My lights always worked fine
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2020-03-11

LED Headlights? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Headlights?   LED Headlights? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2021 4:42 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
It's always worth checking the legality of this kind of upgrade in your country / state and what it will do to your insurance before you get too carried away.

That's a good point. I did read recently that in the UK, fitting a LED into a shell originally designed for halogen was an automatic MOT fail, and the same applies here in NZ. However in the UK sanity has prevailed and you can now legally fit an LED provided the light passes the requisite pattern test i.e. low beam does not dazzle oncoming drivers.
Back to top Go down

LED Headlights?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Accessories & Modifications-
Jump to: