Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

SilverWing died while riding

Go down 
+9
arcamedies
Appleman
abdiver
Mike from NS
sonuvabug
AldusFran
zrx212
smellybeard
IronSky
13 posters
AuthorMessage
IronSky
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2021-06-24

SilverWing died while riding Empty
PostSubject: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2021 1:05 am

During my doordash delivery on way to customer home, my 2003 Honda Silverwing suddenly stop running and I did not know why.  Thankfully, I managed to move to safety.  Remember I am profoundly deaf, so when I tried to start again but it felt like "crank, crank, crank, crank.." yet the engine won't run. It feels like it runs out of gas despite that the tank is full of gas.

Then my frustration with only the honda dealership in my small city, (in partnership with Harley Davidson next door), is that they cut off Silverwing at 2005, so they won't look at my older Silverwing. I told him that all 2002-2013 pretty much using the same part, so why cut off at 2005? They won't explain.  I had to tow my bike to my apartment garage figuring out what I can do.  I will try to fix it myself but I have very little experience - only superficial like oil change, spark plugs, battery replacement. But not the fuel pump, CVT belt, etc.  

So what do you think the problem might be?  Fuel line? Fuel injector? Fuel pump? Fuel filter? I have checked spark plugs (brand new), fuses (no break), killswitch seems to be working and the battery looks good. The only thing that is not working is the fuel gauge and was told that it cost $750 to fix by another honda dealership 70 miles away.

Too bad that we could not plug in a diagnostic scanner on Silverwing!

Suggestion?
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2021 7:21 am

I thought a quick look at the plugs could be instructive. It might tell you what was happening as it cut.

Have you got a spark?
Have you got a smell of fuel from the exhaust?
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2021 11:18 am

The 1st thing to check after checking for spark is the fuel pump operation, you need to have someone listen for fuel pump coming on after key is switched on, need to get close to fuel cap to hear is very faint. BTW do you have a FI light or spark plugs dark after failure ??, bad fuel gauge may indicate bad/dirty fuel tank connector ?? The frame common ground point behind LH aft cover could be dirty ??, report back, anything beyond may be mechanics territory.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2021 2:15 pm

IronSky, what is the mileage on scoot and maybe a little maintenance history. Otherwise I would check what zrx212 mentioned . Good luck.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2021 3:13 pm

Well, here's the first thing I'd check, Did you unintentionally hit the red "kill switch"? It has happened to others (ask me how I know!).
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2021 4:42 pm

IronSky

It is going to be something simple ..... Don't start hauling it apart without careful thought first.  You say the kill switch seems OK ...but just as sonuvabug suggested ... this was my first thought.  I was at a stop light in heavy late afternoon traffic on a really hot day after a long ride and the bike just stopped.  It refused to start; and I found that I must have hit the kill switch.  I was about to push the bike to the curb ...while I said nasty things ..... but then tried the kill switch and found I must have bumped it.

Unless you have had increasing problems .... take a long slow breath and think some before going at it with a wrench.   You probably have done this already  (the thinking)...but let us know what you have tried.  Are you sure the battery is OK?   Maybe a short in the kill switch.  To just shut down and refuse to start is odd.  But there are people here who will make worthy suggestions and you will be running in no time. Have you checked the kick stand switch? If that corroded or shorted out ???? Maybe ???

Mike
Back to top Go down
abdiver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-02-09

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2021 5:13 pm

Don't know if this issue was the same as mine. I was out riding and then, dead. Turning over but no start... Upon inspection, the spark plugs were a bit wet. This forum mentioned a common problem with older scooters (mine's an '01) with fuel pressure. Here's what I bought and changed out (with new o-ring) and it fixed the issue:

http://www.adeptpowersports.com/oem-parts/honda-regulator-pressure-16740-mct-013-part.html

http://www.adeptpowersports.com/oem-parts/honda-o-ring-7-8x1-9-91302-mca-000-part.html

You can find the thread on this forum. The installation was very simple. Hope this helps you out.
Back to top Go down
http://outtahear.com/
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2021 10:19 am

Quoting the OP, " I tried to start again but it felt like "crank, crank, crank, crank.." yet the engine won't run. It feels like it runs out of gas despite that the tank is full of gas."

Based on this OP's statement, I can see and issue with either the kill switch or sidestand switch, if the bike turns over, on my bike(2012) the engine will not crank with either kill switch off or sidestand down, don't know if is different other years ??. 
 Cycling the kill switch on/off with key on, will cause fuel pump to prime need to make sure this is happening and stops in a aprox. 3 seconds, anything more could indicate a weak/bad pump or bad regulator, just PSA for now until OP verifies spark, etc.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2021 10:20 am

Mike from NS wrote:
Have you checked the kick stand switch?  If that corroded or shorted out ????  Maybe ???

A silverwing won't crank with the kickstart down or the kill switch depressed.
IronSky reports that it does crank.
Back to top Go down
Appleman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2020-02-29

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2021 9:11 pm

You have to determine if it electrical or a fuel problem. Remove the air filter
set it up to start
this require a helper, while cranking it have someone spray a small amount of starting fluid into the air intake.

If it fire it's fuel if not probably ignition.

BE CAREFUL
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com/profile?mode=editprofile&page_p
arcamedies
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
arcamedies

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Mystery engine problem    SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2021 3:36 pm

The reason why dealers in general do not want to work on older machines Past 18 years is if they put 10 hours on it trying to find what the culprit is and put electrical parts on the bike You can have a $2500 bill and they still haven't found the corroded connection buried in the frame. If you don't have a competent mechanic Who can check no fuel, no spark,  In 15 minutes It can end up a nice parts bike.  Depends on how much you love the bike and how deep your pockets are.
Back to top Go down
Toolman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2016-08-24

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2021 4:26 pm

It happened to me. Corroded kill switch.
Back to top Go down
Raygirardi
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2020-04-29

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 5:26 pm

Just went through the same, but in my back yard, took the kill switch bracket apart and electrical cleanered it a bit, not sure that it fixed it, but it seemed to alleviate the corrosion that was killing the engine even in the run position.
Back to top Go down
IronSky
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2021 2:51 pm

Okay. Thanks guys.

It must be spark plug or its wires. I will check others if wires tested out fine.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2021 5:37 pm

The fuel pump and the fuel gauge share a common electrical connector on the tank. Maybe you just have a loose or dirty connection there which is stopping the gauge and now the fuel pump from working? If the fuel pump stops, the bike will die and won't re-start even though it cranks over.

As you are deaf this may be hard to diagnose, but whenever the ignition key is turned on you should hear the pump prime for a 5 seconds, maybe get someone else to listen for you. If the pump does not work then either the connector is loose/dirty or maybe the fuel cut relay has failed.

You can download a copy of the service manual here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcdcpxkyuauh44x/Honda%202002-2013%20Honda%20Silverwing%20Service%20Manual.pdf?dl=0
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2021 7:08 pm

The fuel pump connector was mentioned on the 7/2 ??. The OP needs to check fuel pump operation and spark, before we move fwd. with trobleshooting, kinda of a mute point doing anything else IMO.
Back to top Go down
IronSky
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2021 7:18 pm

zrx212 wrote:
The fuel pump connector was mentioned on the 7/2 ??. The OP needs to check fuel pump operation and spark, before we move fwd. with trobleshooting, kinda of a mute point doing anything else IMO.

I got distracted by other issues with the bike (eg. main fuse/battery), because it had no power when battery replaced. Now going to check on fuel pump connector and sparks wiring.
Back to top Go down
sharker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
sharker

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-10

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2021 4:10 pm

I once had a problem with bike cranking and not starting. It was the left brake lever not being held back hard enough. crank but no start.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2021 5:21 pm

sharker wrote:
I once had a problem with bike cranking and not starting. It was the left brake lever not being held back hard enough. crank but no start.

That does not seem likely to be a cause of a cranking no-start. The limit switch on the brake lever is in series with the sidestand switch and the starter solenoid. If you don't have a complete path through both of those switches, the solenoid can't close and the starter cannot run.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2021 6:35 am

So, how are you getting on?
Back to top Go down
IronSky
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2021 6:48 am

Hard start. Ordered fuel pressure regulator. Hope itll work
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2021 7:00 am

You're happy with your spark?
Back to top Go down
IronSky
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2021 7:13 am

Sparks and wirings r fine.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2021 7:16 am

Cúl é sin. SilverWing died while riding 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Raygirardi
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2020-04-29

PostSubject: Starter won't turn over    SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2021 6:47 pm

When the brake switch was mentioned, it reminded me that one of the micro switches went on me on another Scoot brake it's rare but they do go over time, the inner spring did not push the switch out anymore and so the connection was not made...thought I would expand on this a bit...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing died while riding   SilverWing died while riding I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SilverWing died while riding
Page 1 of 1