Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Riding the Silverwing In The UK

Go down 
+2
MikeO
@TRider
6 posters
AuthorMessage
@TRider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
@TRider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-03-01

Riding the Silverwing In The UK Empty
PostSubject: Riding the Silverwing In The UK   Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I am looking for advice on buying my first Silverwing, with an Africa Twin in the garage already and me just about to retire my 2001 Honda Blackbird to a good home. I want to know how the Wing handles on wet roads, which we see rather too much of in the UK, and how good it is at filtering in heavy traffic, which I do rather a lot on my 35 mile commute which is half fast 'A' road and half heavy traffic. I also want to know: -

1) What, if any, maintenance is required on the drive belt?
2) Are you still visible to car drivers in heavy traffic, how is the seat height? (I am 6ft tall BTW)
3) Does the bike feel sure footed in the wet with smaller wheels than I am used to?
4) Are any of the models better than others, or can I save some money and go for an older one without worrying?

Please let me know your views on this, thanks.

@TRider

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Riding the Silverwing In The UK   Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Hello and welcome!

Wet roads: no problems although one needs to be aware that the Silverwing is quite powerful and it's not difficult to spin the rear wheel when accelerating from a standstill, and tyres vary in road-holding capability - loads of information on that here.

Filtering: a breeze - no problem whatever.

Visibility to other drivers: no better or worse than any other bike - the Silverwing has presence. Some of us have added extra rear lights, though, and the usual debates take place for and against HiViz clothing.

By and large there seem to be few, if any, issues with older Silverwings - they just go on and on.

Drive belt: no maintenance really, just change it according to the book unless you want to check it yourself and hope for the best!
I think it fair to say that most owners advocate using Honda belts rather than aftermarket ones - again there's lots of information here.

With regard to your height; I, too, am 6' tall and found the stock screen less adequate than I'd like. I bought the Givi Airflow adjustable one along with other riders and it's very good indeed.
Other members have other screens which they swear by so you pays your money......... Wink

Last edited by MikeO on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
@TRider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
@TRider

PostSubject: Re: Riding the Silverwing In The UK   Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks MikeO. The Blackbird will be gone in a couple of weeks so I'll be looking in earnest for a replacement then. So far it seems a Wing is top of the shortlist to replace it!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Riding the Silverwing In The UK   Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 2:28 pm

'Tis a pleasure!
A word of warning, especially for your first rides on a Silverwing (or any T&G machine), the Left-Hand lever is for BRAKES - there is no clutch! Razz
Back to top Go down
lesley & John
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
lesley & John

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: New swing rider   Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi the silverwing handles fine in the wet as long as you ride accordinly.I've had busas vmax etc and like your blackbird they are all very fast bikes but in all honesty you can't use them to their full .but on the swing you can use it all so you get your money's worth.as for handling I've out handled many a bike much to their dismay and my laughter.you could always use lighter rollers for more acceleration and fun.maitanance dead easy you should be able to do it all yourself oh and tyres only cost around £110 a pair .you should have alot of fun and welcome to the forum
Back to top Go down
@TRider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
@TRider

PostSubject: Re: Riding the Silverwing In The UK   Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 5:18 pm

Hi Lesley. One of the reasons that the Blackbird is going is that I can only use a fraction of it's power either a) safely or b) legally. With the cost of fuel on the up and up and the speed of London traffic going down it's time for a change for me. It has not been lost on me that scooters are not really much slower in traffic, and are easier to squeeze through the gaps to get to the front, not something I can say for my Africa Twin! Thanks for the feedback.
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Riding the Silverwing In The UK   Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 7:39 pm

@TRider wrote:
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I am looking for advice on buying my first Silverwing, with an Africa Twin in the garage already and me just about to retire my 2001 Honda Blackbird to a good home. I want to know how the Wing handles on wet roads, which we see rather too much of in the UK, and how good it is at filtering in heavy traffic, which I do rather a lot on my 35 mile commute which is half fast 'A' road and half heavy traffic. I also want to know: -

@TRider

Hiya, I am an xrv.org.uk member and about to put my Transalp into semi retirement and try out the Swing, much like yourself. Different reasons than you, but with similiar questions to ask.

I've purchased a Swing and will have a few rides out in the next couple of weeks and see how it feels. Loss of height and viewing is a big change for me, i am 6' like you and the scoot feels so low after the 'alp. The other concern i have, is lack of carrying capacity.

I know, that sounds daft, but even with a case and all the space under the seat, it is still less than I have on my 'alp when camping with a pair of Givi panniers. Stowing the tent/sleeping bag/airbed/camping seat/cooking gear etc will take a bit of experimenting I can see. Laughing

Last edited by steveR on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rogerscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Riding the Silverwing In The UK   Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi TRider, I'm now on my second Silverwing, having had a Pan European in between. I'm more of a long distance tourer, rarely going into city traffic, and usually going to the Alps each year. My first was a 2003 model which got to 30,000 miles, no trouble at all, before I swapped it. Current version is 2010, only changes are ABS now fitted, which came in as an option in 2003 but last year (2010) I don't think there was an option any more. Lambda sensor on exhaust added about 2009. Big expense is 16000 and subsequent 16000 mile services which includes belt change and valve clearance checks. Tyres are good value with Bridgestone, Pirelli, Michelin, Metzeler and others available. Givi boxes are expensive so if you can get a bike with one fitted , well worth it. Most people change the screen as the original is very noisy / turbulent...the Givi being readily available in the UK. With it being low, the centre of gravity is low which makes it great for bend swinging. Never had any problems in the wet
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Riding the Silverwing In The UK   Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi and welcome. Not a lot to add to what the others have already stated.

There are bigger scoots! But in my opinion the 'Wing' takes a lot of beating. I ride all year except in icy weather and the 'Wing' had performed effortlessly.

If I had a niggle it would be I never discovered the machine sooner in life.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riding the Silverwing In The UK   Riding the Silverwing In The UK I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riding the Silverwing In The UK
Page 1 of 1