Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Questions after 16K Maintenance

Go down 
+2
steve_h80
zrx212
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BroOKS2K9
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2020-06-13

Questions after 16K Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Questions after 16K Maintenance   Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2021 9:26 am

1. If ATF had a weight, what would you think it would be?
Not know what previous owner used, I wanted to change to recommended 10W. What came out of forks was purple so assuming ATF. With Honda fluid, I feel the road —and the bumps— more. The handlebars push down faster and the front end seems to dive more. A hard squeeze on the front brake produces a more-responsive stopping situation. Not strange or scary, just more responsive.

2. 10W or 15W fork oil? Any preferences?

3. Any negatives experienced after switching to sliders?
Faster initial responsiveness? Absolutely!! But the bike seems to have more vibration now (i.e. a lot more buzz through the floorboard). I noticed it a bit more after the fork oil change. A lot more after roller change.

4. Finally, what differences were noticed after changing drive oil?
Whatever came out was dark(er) and heavier than the Honda recommended oil.

Overall, the bike feels more responsive. A bit more nimble. That stated, it's "buzzier" than before too. I look forward to your responses. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Questions after 16K Maintenance   Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2021 12:00 pm

IMO and IME the SW is very weak on front forks, going to 15W-20W helps, some add. spacers and/or increase oil quantity, do a search !!

Do a search on sliders, plenty posted on it !!, with lighter sliders rpms will be higher at lower speeds will augment any vibration, maybe throttle bodies need synch ??

Some people use gearbox oil in lieu of engine oil in gearbox, either will work, if engine oil is used, a motorcycle specific rating is best for gears, lot's of threads about it !!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Questions after 16K Maintenance   Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2021 1:41 pm

Switching to lighter weight sliders allowes the engine to rev a little higher at any speed, good for riding dynamics but can lead to a little more vibration if your chosen speed is at an engine vibration speed!
Regards oils I would say go with Honda's recommendations and change from there if you feel the need. Something resembling sludge came out of my forks, new oil at the recommended weight has improved things no end.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Questions after 16K Maintenance   Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2021 8:56 pm

I've don't know of any trans fluid that is purple? Red mostly but newer CVT fluids are yellow.
Fork oil can come in many colors whatever manufacture wants it's just a dye in oil. I like Torco Rff 15W fork oil but sharp edged bumps are still stiff more of a fork problem.

Vibration does increase with sliders but only at some engine speeds nature of every engine.

Rear gear oil? Engine oil is what Honda recommends but the are better choices. Manual trans oils offer better protection in my opinion. GL4 oils not GL5 gear oils. Red Line MTL a 10W30 or they have thicker options MT 90 more like a 10W40. good stuff comes out clean not dark colored . $20 buck a quart though.
Back to top Go down
BroOKS2K9
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2020-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Questions after 16K Maintenance   Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2021 11:52 pm

Thanks to all for the responses. If it wasn't clear from the original post, I switched to 26g sliders (based on what I've read from the forum). Love the responsiveness, dislike the vibration.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Questions after 16K Maintenance   Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2021 7:58 am

I just had the fork seals replaced and the shop used 10W oil. It was way too soft so I had them switch it to 15W...much better. I have used motor oil AND gear oil in my final drive, both seem to work fine. I change the final drive oil every other oil change and use same oil as crankcase, very easy job.

I have DR Pulley sliders in mine but may switch to Honda rollers next time, I  don't see enough difference to justify the expense of the sliders. Just my 2 cents.

But egad I also use K&N air filter and NGK iridium plugs too! LOL
Back to top Go down
thecruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2021-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Questions after 16K Maintenance   Questions after 16K Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 7:27 pm

BroOKS2K9 wrote:
Thanks to all for the responses.  If it wasn't clear from the original post, I switched to 26g sliders (based on what I've read from the forum). Love the responsiveness, dislike the vibration.

Where did you get your sliders? Everywhere I've looked, they are out-of-stock.
Back to top Go down

Questions after 16K Maintenance
Page 1 of 1