Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Is It Worth Fixing?

Go down 
+5
sonuvabug
Terry Smith
oldwingguy
PeteP
chaajoad
9 posters
AuthorMessage
chaajoad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-03-12

Is  It Worth Fixing? Empty
PostSubject: Is It Worth Fixing?   Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi - I have a an 08 Swing. Commuted with it a lot and rode the Harley on weekends. Really liked it. Once the job ended, riding time reduced until it sat literally for several years. Covered and in the garage. It starts right up (of course - it's a Honda) but something appears frozen with the rear wheel. I can barely move it and haven't been brave enough to try and take it even down the driveway. If anything happens I'll be unable to push it back even that short distance.

I'm not a skilled mechanic and I know I can't fix it. I'd like to keep it but in your opinion is it worth keeping or is the repair going to be crazy expensive? Like I said - I'll have to take it to a shop. ""Thanks for any info or advice,
Back to top Go down
PeteP
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2020-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Is It Worth Fixing?   Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2020 4:27 pm

Chaajoad,
I have 2007 and have found it not that hard to work on. Do you have service manual? You can also use the search function and see what if anything others have done to help diagnose the problem. It could be the drive belt or variator that are locking up. A broken drive belt could jam up the works. I’d pull the covers off and see what I could do first. It’s not difficult just time consuming. You really need a repair manual!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Is It Worth Fixing?   Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2020 4:31 pm

Have you by any chance left the parking brake on? Don't ask SadSad
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Is It Worth Fixing?   Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2020 5:13 pm

It will most likely be a simple problem of a frozen brake caliper where the pistons are stuck in the seals, usually a bit of dirt/corrosion in the seal groove causes that. Definitely fixable and the parts would be cheap (as in some seals and maybe pistons too, $80 all up). Plenty of know-how here if you want to DIY.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Is It Worth Fixing?   Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2020 11:37 am

I'm with the "seized rear brake" hypothesis. 2 simple diagnostic steps.

1) Start with the parking brake lever ... make sure it is released and not binding. If it checks out OK, then you can do a visual check on the rear brake.

2) Check to see if the rear brake pads are touching your disc brake rotor. If they are, then they are likely stuck/seized up a bit.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Is It Worth Fixing?   Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2021 3:42 am

This year, my 04 Swing in Idaho started holding back a lot more than usual. Eventually it got to a point where I couldn't push it around. After figuring out that the parking brake was sticking, I removed the whole caliper. I didn't have enough time to repair it in Idaho, so I shipped it home. Still need to rebuild it. Will ship it back to Idaho before I go back there.

I would say "YES" It is worth repairing your bike!
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Is It Worth Fixing?   Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2021 10:06 am

Definitely worth fixing. If it's the rear brake pads binding on the disc you could have a look at this:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t9958-brake-bleeding-nightmare?highlight=a+brake+bleeding+nightmare

Bleeding the system can be a PITA but still worth doing.

If it's the parking brake binding on the disc you could try this:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t9725-parking-brake?highlight=parking+brake

It is a bit fiddly on both counts but worth doing. As you will see, these were my own posts on this topic and since overhauling both calipers (main brake and parking brake) I have found it much easier to carry out the occasional checking and maintenance to keep them in good order.

There's a ton of further help on the forum if you decide to give it a go. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Is It Worth Fixing?   Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2021 4:12 pm

My observations with various Honda Scooters and motorcycles---ridden a lot in wet/salty conditions, you need to lube the pins that support pads....and keep them so. Good squirt with garden hose after wet/salty run works, too. Not hard job unless pins are rusted/frozen in.
Back to top Go down
chaajoad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Is It Worth Fixing?   Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2021 4:39 am

Thanks for the advice. The parking brake was off. If it's the rear brake sticking I will definitely fix it. I just finished putting thousands into my F150 and so I'm thinking the repair to the Swing would be more than it's worth. I was seriously thinking about selling it for a few bucks or giving it away (yes, I know - I can hear the gasps) but when it started up, I couldn't do it.

The Harley is cool but that Silverwing is fun, fast, easy on gas and an all-around excellent commuter. Long story at another time for how I ended up owning it.

And I think Loosemarbles gave good advice on maintenance over repair. No salt here in the NW but after sitting for quite awhile rust is a real possibility. I'm stopping at a Honda shop next week to get an idea on cost to pick up, repair. I have a trailer but unless I can see what's causing that rear tire to seize up no way can I get it up the ramp. Maybe the fact it moves even just a little is good news and indicates seized brake and a fairly easy fix.

Thanks again. More soon and Happy New Year!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Is It Worth Fixing?   Is  It Worth Fixing? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2021 9:51 am

If it's not been subjected to road salt you might get away with just giving the caliper a good skirt of brake cleaner to get it going.
If it's stood for a few years it will need a full but that's not difficult.
Back to top Go down

Is It Worth Fixing?
Page 1 of 1