Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months

Go down 
+10
Appleman
Easyrider
Mech 1 twa
Loosemarbles
JamieB
Meldrew
GHM-PM
Cosmic_Jumper
oldwingguy
lvflyer1
14 posters
AuthorMessage
lvflyer1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2020-11-05

2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months Empty
PostSubject: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 1:42 am

Hello - I am a SEMI-NEW member to this forum (my OLD email is gone so I had to re-register) - so I am saying HELLO again from Las Vegas 😉

My Silverwing has been WONDERFUL until today. I pulled it out today after sitting idle for MANY months (EARLY this year OR LATE last year) and even though I have had a "battery tender" on it and the battery is ONLY one year old, when I tried to start the wing, it would not crank. So I attached a combination jump starter and air compressor from Costco to the battery and the wing cranked somewhat. So I attached my Sears charger on wheels with the 40 AMP Charge selection first and then I tried the 200 AMP "STARTER" and BOTH cranked the wing over like normal BUT it still would not start.

The NORMAL start sequence happened, ie - turn key on and all gauges and lights come on like normal and then go out except for the ABS light (which is normal until you drive a little) AND, I believe, the fuel pump "whines" for a few seconds and then shuts off - also like normal

I made sure the "kill switch" is to RUN and the 1/2 tank of gas smells OK BUT the wing just cranks on & on 🤷‍�

Do I have a BAD battery that is somehow "loading down" the different jump starters?
Do I have BAD gasoline?
Do I have something in the "fuel delivery system" that is preventing fuel from getting to where it needs to go?
Do I have an "electrical" situation in the "start" or "run" sequence?

I have NEVER had a problem like this with a "fuel injection system" and that is why ALL my "2 wheelers" are FI 🤷‍�Crying or Very sad

Thank you, in advance, to your help and warm welcome....again 😉
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 6:34 am

Not sure for sure but a year on the battery tender without running the engine is no sign it's still a good battery, have it tested and or get a new good battery. If the battery is kaput the charger / jumping isn't going to help.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 7:08 am

Siphon the old fuel out of the tank. Add a can of SeaFoam and refill the tank with fresh fuel. Allow it to sit for a day before trying to start (with a new battery). You’ve probably got the “fuel delivery system” gummed up from sitting with deteriorating fuel for so long. And I’d be surprised if your fuel gauge sending unit isn’t knackered as well. If that is the case too SeaFoam treatments over time will address that.

While you are letting that SeaFoam sit you might as well remove the right side panel to get to the air filter. You may find that a critter has taken up residence in the air filter. Anyway try a spritz of starting ether in the intake system.

Best to have a factory service manual (FSM) on hand to guide you thru panel removal. The FSM will also show you how to check the fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 7:40 am

Good suggestions all above except for the keyboard comment. Batteries are cheap for these bikes so that is a good starting place. In future, if you get it going good, be sure to put Seafoam or Sta-Bil in the gas, run it about for a couple of miles to ensure proper mixing. This last is only necessary if the bike is to be parked for some months. I remember the old carburetor bikes would gum up if allowed to sit too long with stale fuel. Used to drain the carbs prior to storing. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 9:19 am

As a visiting curmudgeon, I'm constantly perplexed by these recommendations to add Seafoam to the fuel tank for all sorts of Silver Wing issues. Yet over here it's virtually an unknown product, in fact the boy Gooner Kev in the badlands of Surrey is the only one I've read about that's imported, bought and used the stuff.

I've found even in the winter months when you don't ride that much for whatever reasons fuel doesn't go off. Starting isn't a problem, hooking the battery up to your charger/tender of choice obviously helps, but all you need to do is get a good day when the roads are clear, get the gear on and go for a nice long run. Then fill up with fresh fuel on the way home.

In the past I've used fuel stabiliser because I'd read forum posts it was necessary to dose a full tank with it when you're not regularly riding in winter. Whether this stuff actually works I've no idea, I noticed no difference between treated and untreated fuel. The scooter would start straight away and run cleanly and efficiently with or without fuel stabiliser.

Another thing you read about on forums is getting the tyres up off the ground to prevent them flat spotting when the bike/scooter is no being used for prolonged periods in winter. I did that for a couple of years too, putting hard foam blocks under the wheel in contact with the ground, I stopped because the scooter wasn't sat there on it's stand for months on end. It made a lot more sense to me to routinely check and pump up under inflated tyres and occasionally check them for sidewall cracks or damage.

In fact it was when doing these simple winter checks a few years ago that I noticed a delamination bulge on the rear tyres sidewall.

Not using your scooter for a prolonged period of time and neglecting it are two completely different issues. 😷
Back to top Go down
lvflyer1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Thank you and SeaForm Question   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 11:06 am

Everyone - Thank you for your swift replies. I have a new battery coming via Amazon tomorrow. I will siphon the gas out.

How much SeaFoam and gas should I put in the tank?

BTW Cosmic Jumper - I was born and raised in Allentown, Pa for 20 years until I went into the Air Force and was stationed at Nellis AFB here in Las Vegas. Most of my family and relatives are still living in the area.

Last edited by lvflyer1 on Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 11:10 am

Meldrew wrote:
As a visiting curmudgeon, I'm constantly perplexed by these recommendations to add Seafoam... [snip]

Yours  starts, his doesn’t. 

You’ve had an equal opportunity to offer advice to help resolve his problem. Yet you only criticize what’s been said.

So his Silverwing won’t start, what would you do?

RSVP
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 1:03 pm

Hi, you have the side stand up don’t you.?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1561
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 1:32 pm

I wouldn't worry too much. If I'd been asleep for that long I would take a while to get started.

Unless there was underlying problem, like gung in the tank, or some electrical corrosion, the problem is just idleness.

Try opening the throttle wide while cranking, ( a good piece of advise under any circumstances!).

New plugs, new air filter and some patience I would say. Has the bike been stored in a dry ambient environment?
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 1:38 pm

Second Meldrew here.

Modern fuel injected engines started regularly will be fine over Winter.

Sea foam would be more suitable for keeping carburettors in tip top condition as we all know how easily a jet will varnish up and block.

Had a 650 bandit a few years ago where this happened and I did actually use Seafoam in the tank along with regular riding which yes it did help but in the end you cannot beat a strip down and rebuild.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 1:56 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
So his Silverwing won’t start, what would you do?

RSVP

Well I wouldn't have the cheek to join a forum just to ask for free technical advice, or tip a can of the British version of Seafoam into the fuel tank and hope for the best. I'd dig out my Silver Wing FSM for reference, and if it was a simple fault I'd remedy if I could.

Or if we weren't on our second nationwide Coronavirus lockdown, I'd call my nearest motorcycle dealer. They're not Honda dealers but I've used them for replacement tyres for my Silver Wing and a couple of other jobs.

They're only a couple of miles from my home, so they could pick it up in their van. However long it took to get parts or repairs done wouldn't concern me, I'd be happy that I was supporting a local business too.

I could also call up the large Honda dealer that I bought my Forza from 2 years ago, they're about 30 miles away York and I was there with the Forza last month. Again they could collect, repair, and deliver it back to me.

There's also a couple of self employed ex-Honda motorcycle technicians in town that advertise in the free local services gazette.

I've never been particularly interested in tinkering with engines or electrics, but I bought my Silver Wing from new, owned it for 8 years, kept it serviced and in very good condition and corrosion free with just basic knowledge, and off the shelf tools and products.

It also passed our stringent annual MOT safety and road worthiness check without ever getting an Advisory notice on faults found that I needed to fix. So a bit of basic care and attention goes a long way.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 4:37 pm

lvflyer1 wrote:
Everyone - Thank you for your swift replies. I have a new battery coming via Amazon tomorrow. I will siphon the gas out.

How much SeaFoam and gas should I put in the tank?

BTW Cosmic Jumper - I was born and raised in Allentown, Pa for 20 years until I went into the Air Force and was stationed at Nellis AFB here in Las Vegas. Most of my family and relatives are still living in the area.

The entire can, won't hurt a thing hopefully it will help.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 6:30 pm

Hello from Allentown.

I'll bet it's flooded to much fuel in cylinders. Hold the throttle wide open and crank it may take 10-20 seconds or longer if you start to hear it popping trying to start. OR pull the plugs and get new ones and do above. Adding a little oil in cylinders will help to remove fuel and bring the compression back . 1-2 tea spoons full. May smoke and bit after start up. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 2:44 pm

Please keep us informed Ivflyer1......I'm holding my breath here... Neutral

BTW, were you medevac or medical branch in the USAF?
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 4:17 pm

One fast and easy test is to spray starter fluid in the cylinders through the heads after removing the spark plugs. If it runs for a short while, your problem is in the fuel delivery system, and not electrical. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 7:05 pm

Seems to me that spray starter fluid would evaporate long before you got the plugs back in and connected. Best to try that starter fluid / starting ether in via the air filter housing or the air filter nozzle if you can’t come to terms with removing the air cleaner housing cover to check for obstructions.
Back to top Go down
Appleman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2020-02-29

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 8:36 pm

From a old farmer
You have received some good advice .
Have a fire extinguisher handy when playing with gasoline or starting fluid.
If it fire when apply starting fluid at the air intake. Your problem is fuel.
If it does not fire ignition will be the problem. This tool is easy way to check for spark.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=spark+plug+checker&_sacat=34998&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&LH_ItemCondition=1000&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1
I had a mouse eat wire on engine sensor under the intake manifold at cost of $1600 for labor at a dealer.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com/profile?mode=editprofile&page_p
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2020 7:31 am

I had a mouse eat wire on engine sensor under the intake manifold at cost of $1600 for labor at a dealer.

Others have had the mouse problem too, I like to feed them first, peanut butter on the mouse trap pan does a wonderful job just remember to check often and replace the bait, for remote corners the block style feeding stations work well.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2020 9:09 pm

I had a 2006 ABS that sat for 3 and a half years in my garage after a rear ended get
off. I rode my Reflex scooter during that time and gathered the repair parts until the
Silverwing was needed 3 + years later as a means to get to a rally 860 miles away.

I put on the new repair parts and tried to start it up. The half tank of 3 + year old
gas smelled like varnish.  Turned the key on, cranked the starter for 10 or 15 seconds
and it started and ran as if it never missed a day. I was pretty amazed by that. Of
course I only ran it for a minute or so and siphoned out the old gas and put fresh gas
in. That never would have happened if it were a carbureted engine.

Bad sparkplugs or water in the gas could be culprits. Old fuel of the type that is diluted
with ethanol can hold water (it mixes with the alcohol) but it can separate out during a  
process called phase separation and settle to the bottom of the tank. (water is heavier
than gasoline/blended  fuel) Water is not a viable fuel for the Silverwing and will give you
start/run issues.
Back to top Go down
Roadman45LC
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2015-07-06

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 1:01 pm

Like Appleman says,
1) Got Spark?
2) Got Gas? and or Squirt a few drops into the intake with air cleaner off, then crank...
no kick then check plugs then compression. This method will lead you into the problem at hand.
3) Still problem ? Call mechanic.
Back to top Go down
lvflyer1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 1:29 pm

Hello Everyone - I am sorry for the late update - I had a busy week. Anyway, I got back to my Silverwing today and after putting just a little SeaForm and NEW gas in the tank (the fuel gauge is blinking on E) AND a NEW battery, it started right up 😂cheers

I have just one more question: for the winter of less driving, which stabilizer should I use - SeaFoam or StaBil AND how much gas should I put in the tank with either and can you drive somewhat with either stabilizer in the tank?

100 Thank yous' to ALL for your help & suggestions and I hope my experience helps others in the future sunny
Back to top Go down
Sknrdtec
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Sknrdtec

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 2:14 pm

I doubt you will need any over the course of the 2-3 months of cold you have , which isn't that cold compared to others on here . But who am I to say , I'm not a weatherman or a mechanic by trade . I've never used the stuff . If it is a motor that uses petrol/gasoline , my experience like other here have mentioned , get out there and ride for a bit and freshen it with new gas . Motorcycle , Silverwing , scooter , generator , lawnmower , airplane, whatever the engine is on or in , use it . You want a generator to work when the power goes out ?? You have to go out there and massage that motor , exercise it , give it some use , show it a little love . I know there are those on this forum that bounce and live in a few different locations , and can"t be there to ride , so a stabilizer may be of use in that case . Sorry to yammer on and not offer any suggestions to what brand of Stabilizer to use . But I've had , and seen more problems from sitting engines and motors , than using them .
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 6:44 am

lvflyer1 wrote:
[snip]I have just one more question: for the winter of less driving, which stabilizer should I use - SeaFoam or StaBil AND how much gas should I put in the tank with either and can you drive somewhat with either stabilizer in the tank? [snip]

Assuming you’re putting your SWing away for a seasonal nap: StaBil (follow manufacturer’s directions). Top off the tank, all the way up to the top of the neck. Seafoam next season if needed. +1 to Sknrdtec. But do keep the tank topped off.

However because your fuel gauge is flashing “E”, you might want to add a full can of SeaFoam to help dissolve that crud & varnish build-up inside the tank and on the fuel level sending unit. Then 1/2 can with the next full tank fill up. And the other half with the next full tank fill up.

So would that “lv”-flyer be as in Lehigh Valley, or Las Vegas then? There is another member here from The Valley as well.
Back to top Go down
lvflyer1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 11:32 am

Thank you Cosmic_Jumper. To clarify, so I should fill the tank now WITH a full bottle of SeaFoam and ride somewhat and then I can leave the Silverwing set for a couple or so months or do the same with StaBil?

I am sorry I am confused on what you said

BTW, the "lv" IS for Las Vegas but I never thought about the connection you did for Lehigh Valley - I will remember that and tell people, especially people I know or I am related to back there, they will get a "kick" out of that - GREAT observation 👍

Also, I went to Emmaus High School and after I graduated, I worked at Bethlehem Steel for two years until I went into the Air Force
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 11:46 am

Yes, add a full can/bottle of SeaFoam now. Fill the tank. Ride around for awhile (100 miles, or so). Then when its ready for it’s nap, add StaBil and top off the tank all the way.

When nap time is over, ride that tankful, then (assuming the fuel gauge hasn’t healed itself) add another full can of SeaFoam to that new tankful and 1/2 can to each of the next two tanks full.
Back to top Go down
lvflyer1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 11:52 am

Tim - Sorry to misinform, I meant the gas gauge is flashing "E" because I put just a little new gas in the tank with a little SeaForm. I am sure as I put more gas in, the gauge will follow and be OK.

Does this new information make a difference in your suggestions?
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 928
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 12:06 pm

Following Tim's advice is still something I would do as it would also be beneficial for de-gumming your entire fuel injection system etc.

One little twist I apply when I use SeaFoam with my gas injected SUV and diesel truck is I perform what is called a hot soak. That is, warm up your engine until it is good and warm (at operating temperature); add the can of SeaFoam; run it through a little bit on pure Seafoam i.e. don't put in fresh gas yet (perhaps a few minutes to ensure your entire FI system is full of Seafoam); then let it sit for 30 minutes (engine off) and do it's de-gunking magic; then take it for the run mentioned above to clean everything out ... eventually filling the tank with fresh gas and another 1/2 can of Seafoam.

This procedure is outlined in one of the "How to" video's on the SeaFoam site. I like the video they made on the diesel engine but it really doesn't matter as it is basicaly the same procedure as the gas engine.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 8:10 pm

Another way is to  find a vacuum line and pull it into engine that way.  Same hot soak method first and do it slowly. To much could damage engine. BUT doing it this way will result in a lot of smoke from exhaust after restart.  Nice white clouds.  This way mostly cleans valves and pistons not fuel system.

I store bikes with ethanol free gas and lots of StaBil.  Fill the tank prevents rust.

Last edited by Mech 1 twa on Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 8:19 pm

Information overload? There you go, you’ve got at least three, not necessarily conflicting, solid opinions. So just do it.
Back to top Go down
lvflyer1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 8:26 pm

Cosmic_Jumper - Yes Sir 😉👍
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 11:35 pm

Err...um... That came off as a bit strong on my part. Wasn’t intended that way. Maybe it would be better to say something along the line of, ‘With all the suggestions offered, you should stop worrying and give it a try’.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2020 12:45 am

In Idaho, my process is to first add Stabil measured for a full tank of gas, then fill with non-ethanol gas(yes, I use Stabil with non-ethanol gas). Ride for about three miles. Park in shed, hookup battery tender, and cover. You can Google for service stations offering Ethanol free gas.
Back to top Go down
lvflyer1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2020 1:08 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Err...um... That came off as a bit strong on my part. Wasn’t intended that way. Maybe it would be better to say something along the line of, ‘With all the suggestions offered, you should stop worrying and give it a try’.

No problem Sir, I took your reply as an experienced Silverwing owner to a inexperienced newbie owner like me. 😉👍

I must tell you that I have THREE FI two wheelers - the Silverwing, a Honda CTX 700 Automatic motorcycle, and a
Yamaha XT 250 Enduro motorcycle vs ONE carbureted 250 Enduro motorcycle. I did not think I would have a starting problem with any of my FI two wheelers vs my carbureted one - which I have not had a starting problem, though they have "sat" about the same time, with any of the four until the Silverwing - I guess I am another example of "you are never to old to learn" Smile

Thank you for your help as well as everyone that has responded - I REALLY appreciate it
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2020 4:46 pm

Just glad you're up and running....and.....breathe.... chickendance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months   2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2005 Silverwing will not start after sitting MANY months
Page 1 of 1