Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 8:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 10:05 am

» LF extended back rest
scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 7:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 3:56 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:28 pm

» Drive belt prices
scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:28 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-11-09

scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. Empty
PostSubject: scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off.   scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2020 2:52 pm

Greetings, I hope what I'm hearing is normal for a varidrive scooter with a dry clutch, I have investigated most things, removed the brake calipers, the swing arm bracket bearing, the clutch cover bearing an all those parts are good.
The scraping noise is still there when I turn the wheel without the engine running, I think only a couple of things could be causing the problem, it is either the clutch shoes touching the clutch drum because of weak springs or worn pins.
The noise reminds me of adjusting drum brakes, so is this normal.
The scooter sounds fine with the engine running and the back wheel rotating.
Regards
Dave
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off.   scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2020 3:26 pm

I don’t think a scraping noise is “normal” as you describe it. So just throwing spaghetti against the wall here:

Is it a constant drag type scraping noise or a notational type noise, as if something is hitting & scraping as the wheel rotates?

The Driven Pulley assembly is easy enough to remove. Why not do that and give the scoot another rolling test.

Has the rear wheel tire stem been replaced with an aftermarket stem? If so, is it in the right position?

Have you checked the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) unit mounted on the wheel side of the swing arm?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off.   scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2020 3:38 pm

Have you checked out the parking brake. The pads could be worn out and the backing rubbing against the rear disc.
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off.   scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2020 6:12 pm

I've had both brake calipers off the bike and the noise is still there, so I put that side back together and took the belt side apart, the bearing inside the ali cover is fine and everything looks good, when I revolve the clutch drum I still have the scraping noise. I decided to put that back together and carry on using it for the time being. And ask the question, thanks for the replies, I could be worrying about nothing, the bike sounds very quiet when on the move.
Thanks CJ I will check the vehicle speed sensor.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off.   scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2020 11:48 pm

Wheel/axle bearings?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off.   scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2020 11:52 pm

Put it on the center stand start it up and listen to it run, idle, jack up the front and check wheel bearings ect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off.   scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

scraping noise when pushing the scoot. engine switched off.
Page 1 of 1