Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 9:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 8:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:05 am

» Drive belt prices
YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2017-06-05

YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc Empty
PostSubject: YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc   YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2020 10:26 am

Hi I`ve just ordered a new set of the Ecoline YSS std shock absorbers as they now come with a softer possibly much improved spring. Usually around £150-£190 depening where you buy from.

The Ecoline shocks just have a screw adjust at the top of the shock so not so handy ( IE off and on to set pre-load !!! it would of been very simple to invert or swap the spring base plate and adjuster thread plate end you would of thought !!!) ) but the new spring option should make these and the Topline with rebound adjustment a really very good option for The Silverwing.

TE302-420T-01AL-X Ecoline, now std revised and softer spring number 46-13-18-260

Tz362 – 420tr-01-x  Topline, still screw pre-load at the top !!! but also rebound easy at the bottom of the shock adjustable possitions 1-60.  same new spring  46-13-18-260 usually around £320-£380 depending where you buy.

I`ve ordered a set of the Std Ecoline shocks to see what they are like with the new spring.

I`m posting as much for owners with an older YSS set of either type with the earlier harder spring as they can now buy the softer std spring 46-13-18-46 and improve the ride and comfort of the scooter, there is even a slightly shorter and even softer option is supposed to be really good too. Very easy to do yourself.

Its worth checking you are getting this new spring when you order some shocks as there may still be old stock sat around with the once used much harder spring. That is now a request option.

The softer new std right length spring in the UK on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YSS-Black-Progressive-Twin-Shock-Springs-46-13-18-260-/303084523446

The even softer but slightly lower but a little comfier even spring is 46-10-15-240 ( you loose 20mm of spring height
). https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YSS-Black-Progressive-Twin-Shock-Springs-46-10-15-240/303084472326?hash=item46913e0806:g:-2QAAOSwuFZcfW-e

I`ll report back once my Ecoline type ones are on the scooter.

There is also of course the very good UK made Hagon std shock option with a handier lower position 3 pre-load adjustment too, in case you are new here. Though a slightly harder ride you can ask for different springs possibly I think from the factory themselves. Plus the super but pricey but very good Ohlins and Butibo options usually £550 and up in pounds. And air shock Fornales, a bit costlier still and mixed reviews re air leaks etc but superb when right.

If you are in the UK considering some non UK Hagon shocks,  all of the other makes are quite likely to see a price rise in 2021. Worth bearing in mind.
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc   YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2020 11:11 pm

Well tried the new YSS shock and got a bit of a shock too.

I knew the previous spring was very hard, just barely any give so a serious bangey ride.

But sadly the new spring on the YSS, while better than the previous std one, is still not right.

I don`t think anyone from YSS has actually ridden a Silverwing and felt how their shocks work, or don`t on them.

The new spring gives a little then you are suddenly in to a very hard zone, I would not describe it as progressive, more a bit of the soft, really once you are sat on its gone, then just too hard.

I went for a quick ride with them at std setting and came back quickly as it was knocking the heck out of my dickie discs.

I put the 12 + years std honda ones back on and it felt like a revelation ( position 4 )

And in fact when you just compress both the YSS and the Honda ones the Honda ones just work so much better, they don`t have that sort of sudden lock effect the YSS ones do.

The YSS shocks are wonderful quality though, so I may buy a 46-10-15-240 spring set, I know a chap who says that really is good. He told YSS that 6/7 years ago when one of their reps.

Its a shame as I think just an ordinary type spring would of worked better possibly even.

Also a shame Hagon don`t do the Damping adjust version for the SW too.

Going to see if I can take any pre-load off the spring but I think they are just as say done up on the screw thread, and also try the compression setting over the weekend, then just press test to see if any improvement.

Just out of interest has any one heard about or even tried the Butibo`s or Ohlins etc.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc   YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2020 2:42 pm

I run Hagon and I must admit I did twist a bit when I realised the damping was fixed (I'm always one for twiddling with suspension settings). In use the damping is fine as it is whether I've got the preloaded on 1 for solo use or 3 when SWMBO is on the back.
It is a basic shock but all parts are quality and that makes the difference. If Hagon had fitted adjustable damping either the cost would have gone up or the quality come down, I'm happy with them.
Having said all that if you're after a magic carpet ride on smooth surfaces at gentle speeds stick to the originals,.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc   YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2020 10:53 pm

If a really good ride is desired you need the other Wing, the Goldwing, nothing on two wheels can equal one on the road. If I wasn't so damnably old and arthritis ridden I'd still have mine. A Silverwing and a Goldwing are a perfect pair of bikes. Silverwing for local and errand running and the big 'Wing for trips.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc   YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2020 10:27 am

exavid wrote:
Silverwing for local and errand running and the big 'Wing for trips.

That my friend is nonsense, and with respect a typically American statement. I've never yet bought a motorcycle or maxi scooter for the sole purpose of using it to pop down the shops. Before I retired I knew plenty of of riders and was friendly with riders who bought bikes/scooters as all year round go to work transport or as winter wheels. But why on earth would anyone buy a twin cylinder maxi scooter like a Silver Wing that's an excellent long distance tourer solely for errand running.  scratch

A small capacity motorcycle or maxi scooter will do everything a large capacity lardass cruiser or tourer will do, without the unnecessary chrome bling and junk that's deemed necessary before some riders venture far from home.

Riding and touring on a lightweight maxi is fun, and equally about the mindset and self confidence of the rider setting off for a long trip.

Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc   YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 9:13 am

Hi Exavid, yes the Silverwing is ideal for that, and after all, anything you like thats, nice and positive , or you enjoy with your bikes/scooters too.

Sadly for myself with Hip and neck disc issues I can`t cope with a Goldwing. But what a machine.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc   YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 6:38 pm

Silverwingdays wrote:
Well tried the new YSS shock and got a bit of a shock too.

I knew the previous spring was very hard, just barely any give so a serious bangey ride.

But sadly the new spring on the YSS, while better than the previous std one, is still not right.

Very bangey, indeed. Mine had the old YSS units fitted when I bought it and it really is too hard for urban driving. I find myself with my feet forward pushing hard back to raise my bum against the backstop a lot.
I wonder if it's a bit over damped too.
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc   YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 11:39 pm

Hi, well I`d go for the 46-10-15-240 spring, and you can just run the threaded ring down so you don`t loose any height, just some useable spring if you will.

The 46-13-18-260 feels as if its about on the edge of being right but still a little too firm.

For £42 ish delivered for new springs might be worth a punt for the 10-15.

Its odd that it seems as if YSS never tried them on a Silverwing though.

Best bet is probably the Toplines with 1-60 damping at the base of the shock, with the 10-15`s.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc   YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

YSS Shock owners or Prospective buyers Improvements info. Etc
Page 1 of 1