Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

oil filter screen

Go down 
+4
JamieB
Terry Smith
GHM-PM
mergus
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mergus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2020-07-22

oil filter screen Empty
PostSubject: oil filter screen   oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2020 8:01 pm

What are your thoughts on the importance of the oil filter screen? I did my first oil change on the 04 today and the screen was missing. I checked and it was not stuck up inside. I put it back together figuring it had been running fine without the screen, but if consensus is that it should be there, I'll order one and replace it at the next oil change...Thank you!!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

oil filter screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil filter screen   oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2020 10:15 pm

Not really sure but someone on here may have an expert opinion. Personally I have wondered about leaving it out...  Haven't done it yet though.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2020-03-11

oil filter screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil filter screen   oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2020 11:45 pm

That's a decent question mergus. None of my Honda motorcycles have ever had an externally accessible screen like that, but they all do have a strainer of some kind (which you can only access if you remove the oil pan). Maybe Honda made this one accessible due to the vertically split cases (no oil pan to unbolt).

From the service manual, the screen sits between the sump oil pickup and the oil pump, then the oil goes through the main oil filter before heading to the rest of the motor. So the screen is protecting the oil pump but the main filter looks after the rest. Given the absence of all the normal wear items in a conventional bike crankcase (gears and clutch) there would seem to be less need for a strainer in a Silverwing but I think for peace of mind it should be there.
Back to top Go down
mergus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2020-07-22

oil filter screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil filter screen   oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2020 8:07 am

Thank you Terry Smith! That was an excellent answer!
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

oil filter screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil filter screen   oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2020 12:46 pm

Hi, if it wasn’t needed Honda wouldn’t fit it, fit one.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

oil filter screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil filter screen   oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2020 4:38 pm

I think the strainer is there as a visible indicator of engine wear, few if any will cut open the paper filter to check for particles, so, as above ..... " if it wasn’t needed Honda wouldn’t fit it, fit one"
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

oil filter screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil filter screen   oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2020 5:21 pm

Hi bud, Honda also didn't do Silver Wing owners any favours by fitting that silly soft alloy 'tappit' as a sump drain plug. Plenty of owners have damaged it rounding the corners off using the wrong type of socket to loosen it. It would have been far simpler if Honda had used a mild steel sump plug and a copper crush washer.

That in turn could have been replaced by an aftermarket steel sump plug fitted with a magnet. They're very effective at picking up fine metal particles,

Honda have fitted the new Forza with a steel sump drain plug, it's a weird looking thing with probably an inch of threads on it, and last time I searched online for a magnetic sump plug I couldn't find one. On the plus side, the oil filter is visible and easily accessible and it uses the same oil filters as the Silver Wing
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2020-03-11

oil filter screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil filter screen   oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2020 5:31 pm

Honda have a habit of using old tappet covers on modern bikes; the final drive oil filler cap on my 2009 ST1300 uses the same part as a 1970's CB750! Maybe they just made WAY too many of them in the 1970's and are still trying to shift the stock?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

oil filter screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil filter screen   oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2020 10:22 am

Meldrew wrote:
Hi bud, Honda also didn't do Silver Wing owners any favours by fitting that silly soft alloy 'tappit' as a sump drain plug. Plenty of owners have damaged it rounding the corners off using the wrong type of socket to loosen it.

Hi bud, I rounded mine when in a hurry one day, took a few pictures & posted this 'work around' .............

https://www.silverwing600.com/t10594-engine-drain-bolt?highlight=drain
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

oil filter screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil filter screen   oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2020 10:45 am

The Bern wrote:
<…> I rounded mine when in a hurry one day, took a few pictures & posted this 'work around' .............

Or you could upgrade to a billet drain plug.

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/j-webster-designs-honda-valve-tappet-covers-clear-or-black-anodized.html

oil filter screen Ed3f8110
Back to top Go down
terrier
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2015-08-12

oil filter screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil filter screen   oil filter screen I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2020 1:48 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
The Bern wrote:
<…> I rounded mine when in a hurry one day, took a few pictures & posted this 'work around' .............

Or you could upgrade to a billet drain plug.

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/j-webster-designs-honda-valve-tappet-covers-clear-or-black-anodized.html

oil filter screen Ed3f8110

Wish they were available in the UK. Can send off for one on Ebay UK but they're charging $19.95 plus $14.95 postage. A bit pricey !
Back to top Go down

oil filter screen
Page 1 of 1