Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Lost Only Key

Go down 
+4
Mech 1 twa
Cosmic_Jumper
GHM-PM
sc00ter
8 posters
AuthorMessage
awaldman91
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2019-12-17

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2020 10:12 pm

Hello All,

Long time reader, 1st time poster. Inherited an 06 fsc600 from my dad with 5000 miles and ride all the time. Yesterday I lost my only key in the park. My dad was the second owner so we don't have the original key code plate, and it doesn't have HISS, so I have read that I can possibly find the key code on the ignition cylinder somewhere? Does anyone know exactly where? Also how many digits and if its alphanumeric generally? I am trying to use a boroscope to see if I can find it fishing around without having to remove the lock. If I do need to remove the lock (I am relatively mechanically inclined), it looks like I need to remove the handlebars? Is that true? I started but thought there may be an easier way to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated, I am missing some nice early spring weather! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 12:31 am

I had a stripped of most panels Silverwing and I went by the guys house I gave it to today and looked. No codes on the ignition. Prior owner had it hot-wired because the key got super stuck and it broke off in the ignition switch. He ordered a used ignition assembly off ebay and that one was also worn out. So be careful buying used because it might be worn out already. Did you look in the owners manual and see if the prior owner wrote it in there?
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 7:41 am

Not sure this will help but perhaps your dealer can find it with the VIN number. That has worked for me with cars. Call your nearest Honda dealer and ask for service. Worth a try. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
awaldman91
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 8:01 am

Unfortunately I did not buy it new, my dad was the second owner. There aren't any stickers for a dealer anywhere on the bike and I don't have the original owners manual. I know where the original owner lived and Im trying to narrow down dealers. It would have had to been bought at a honda powersports dealer right? Not like a regular car dealer?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 8:23 am

There is a key code number on the lock. IIRC it’s on the lock assembly face sandwiched to the steering stem. That’s by design so that nefarious bastards can’t find it. So you’ll need to remove the entire front of the scoot (from the gas cap forward) to access that number. If it’s any consolation, you’d have to remove all that stuff anyway if you were to replace that lock assembly.

As long as you’ve got access to the lock assembly you can take it to a good locksmith and have a new key made. I kinda doubt that Honda can provide you with a precut key for your specific lock cylinder anyway. A key blank, yes. A precut key, no.

Tip. When you remove all those panels you’re sure to discover missing and broken tabs and cracks. Best to get some Plast-Aidon hand so that you can fix those things at the time —rather than wait until that stuff to arrive.

Here’s a link to a help you get started removing the front end: 
https://www.silverwing600.com/t11101-remove-front-fairing-how-to-video?highlight=Remove+front

Tim

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YGzjWeK-nY
Back to top Go down
awaldman91
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 9:08 am

From what I understand, the dealer the scoot was bought from should have the key code on file, but you need to find that dealer. Thanks for the helpful information though. I actually bought a aervice manual online because I have almost come to terms that Ill need to do this lol. I just hate removing body parts because things always break and don't go back right, then you get annoying vibrations, etc.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 10:53 am

Hmm... Maybe you could plug in the VIN# to one of those Car Fax-type sites and get a record of previous owners and/or the original dealer. If you can locate the original owner then you might check with the closest Honda dealer.
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2020-02-26

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 2:43 pm

I guess, I'm in the same boat. Rolling Eyes
I have only one key for the bike. It works fine but I don't have a key code plate.
Thank you for your help, Tim.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 4:34 pm

rustysdream wrote:
I guess, I'm in the same boat. Rolling Eyes
I have only one key for the bike. It works fine but I don't have a key code plate.

Then you should probably get a 2nd key made now before you’re in the same predicament as Mr Waldman —who’ll, no doubt, be having two keys made as soon as he can extricate his lock assembly.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 7:31 pm

Is the key code on the seat lock cylinder also ?? But you still have to find a way to open seat. Seat lock might use only some of tumblers NOT all for the ignition and cutting a key for that still won't work. ??

Original dearer might have the code if they retained all the paper work. Honda auto dealers can access the key codes just from the VIN # Bike dealers I'm not sure. They won't just give it to you over the phone though. They need proof of ownership and some ID.. Larger dealers should be able to cut a key from 8 digit key code. A bike dealer should be able to trace original dealer from Honda VIN inquiry on bike and the key code. I can do it for cars but I have a log in to Honda auto network.

Back to top Go down
awaldman91
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 8:23 pm

I already ordered some key blanks. Definitely will be making multiple spares after I square this away!

Is the key code on the lock cylinder of the seat? Can anyone confirm that? My seat is actually still unlocked. I wouldn't want to pull it out if I don't need to, but I have read mixed things about the lock code being there or not. I am sure it is the original lock, everything opened with the original key. I was hoping today that the key may have been turned in to the police or parks department, but still no luck. At this point I have just about given up hope on getting my key back and will start calling dealers tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 8:43 pm

Thank you for your comments. I'll have a couple of spare keys cut before the riding season but I'm still waiting for the dealer to get the second key from the previous owner. Also, I will ask my daughter to see if she still has a connection. She used to work for a Honda dealership.
Back to top Go down
awaldman91
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 8:48 pm

Thanks. I actually just pulled the seat lock, there are some markings, but not sure if it is the key code. There are 6 characters/numbers, but they are 3 over three (i.e ABC/123). From what I can roughly see on pictures from ebay listings on the lock cylinder it is one line (can't tell if it is numeric or alphanumeric).
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Do they not have a gun looking device that they insert into a lock to replicate the key, once the design is determined make a new key?
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 9:43 pm

I just checked. There is a code on the fuel cap cylinder. It's 1 digit and 2 letters. Would that be the same for the other locks?
Back to top Go down
awaldman91
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 10:09 pm

The seat lock is pretty easy to pull, 4 screws on the left rear fairing and a spring clip on the lock. You should check and see if that matches the gas cap then that may be it.
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 11:54 pm

thumbs up
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 9:25 am

It's a one key fits all deal, why not?
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 10:02 am

It's not a Silver Wing, but the key code seems to be at the same place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN5WDXGOqio
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 5:19 pm

Gas cap never thought of that. I unlocked mine no key needed anymore one less thing to worry about.

It's been covered here before it's easy to do.

My key tag that came with SW is an 8 digit # .
Back to top Go down
awaldman91
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 11:55 pm

Well I pulled the ignition cylinder, key code was stamped on the back, so I guess it is only on the ignition. Took me about 45 min to pull it, not bad. No broken plastics. I found a guy on ebay that will cut to the key code, but can't seem to find a locksmith around here that will. Is there a way to convert the three digit key code to a numerical code?
Back to top Go down
awaldman91
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2020 9:15 pm

So just in case anyone ever has this issue in the future, and wants solid information like I did, here's what worked (I know some already said this stuff, but here's confirmation):

The key code is printed on the back side of the ignition cylinder only. It is printed on the side that is up against the steering column and unable to be read with a boroscope. I checked the seat lock and gas cap and neither had that number. It starts with a letter followed by 2 numbers and it is the last 3 digits of a 6 digit alphanumeric string. No one in my area even makes motorcycle keys really, but there are guys on ebay that for 12-15 usd you send them your year make model and key code and they will cut the key. The easiest way to get the code was take the air duct, windshield, lower and upper front covers off, then the handlebars, then the two pinch bolts on the steering column off. I pulled up the lock cylinder, took a picture of the code, then put it right back, torqued the pinch bolts, then the handlebars then reverse order the rest. The service manual says to take off all the stuff off the handlebars, but there's no point because you can just work around it all. Took me about an hour each way and all i broke were a few plastic trim clips. I also have a cordless ratchet and cordless screwdriver with some attachments that saved a boatload of time. Especially getting to the pinch bolts on the steering column, if I only had a mechanical ratchet that would have added significant time right there Needless to say, it was not fun, but I was able to get in an hour riding on this 72 degree day in NJ. Thanks y'all for your help.
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2020 9:46 pm

Wow! That's a lot of work to get the key code but great to hear that you were able to ride too. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
awaldman91
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2020 10:17 pm

Unless you bought the bike new and know where it was bought from (even still I called a few dealers and they said they don't cut keys from code, only could sell me a new ignition cylind3r and locks), or have the key code plate, this is the cheapest and least time consuming option.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 8:24 am

Glad to see you got it sorted out. When I bought my 05 one of the first thing I did was have 3 extra made, it too only came with one. This incident made me glad I did as at $ 2.50 a key it's cheap insurance.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 10:41 am

As long as we are discussing keys, here are key blank numbers for replacement keys:

Keyport: HD109
Ilco:  265
Ilco EZ Line: HD109
JMA: Hond-33

Regrettably there seems to be no replacement information for HISS keys.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 11:24 am

Honda HISS keys are used on the British and European FJS Silver Wings, and you may or may not be able to use the code stamped on the metal strip fitted the keyrings of what should be your spare set of keys. The info about the HISS is no doubt available in the FSM for the Honda FJS 600 Silver Wing, they are sometimes on sale on eBay. Usually these manuals are usually in poor condition and sellers are wanting top dollar.

That's why British owners who aren't too mean to buy their own FSM usually buy a pristine condition one off the internet for the FSC version, which of course doesn't have a section on HISS.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lost Only Key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Only Key   Lost Only Key I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lost Only Key
Page 1 of 1