Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Headlights off I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 3:07 pm

» Hi there guys
Headlights off I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 1:20 pm

» Final Drive Noise banished
Headlights off I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 1:14 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Headlights off I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 1:40 pm

» What did you do to your SW today.
Headlights off I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Headlights off I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Headlights off I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:06 am

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Headlights off I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Headlights off I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:35 am

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Headlights off I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:58 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Headlights off

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lechettan
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2020-02-18

Headlights off Empty
PostSubject: Headlights off   Headlights off I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 12:02 pm

Hello,

when i had to start my honda, my low beams and the headlights did not come on. I don't think it was the bulbs because they stopped working at the same time. I don’t know where the fuse for lights are located. Can I put wd40 on the fuse ?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Headlights off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlights off   Headlights off I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Do the same procedure as you did to get the turn signal to work, but this time do it on the Start switch on the throttle side. If that start switch lever doesn’t return to the proper position the headlights won’t come back ON after you’ve let loose that start lever.

Those switch contacts get gummy. Electrical contact cleaner is best for the job, but WD-40 will help too.
Back to top Go down
Lechettan
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Headlights off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlights off   Headlights off I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 2:41 pm

You are talking about this switch Tim ? (Picture enclose)
Back to top Go down
Lechettan
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Headlights off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlights off   Headlights off I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 3:34 pm

Better with the file
Headlights off Db451310
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Headlights off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlights off   Headlights off I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 3:47 pm

Yes, that switch. It has somewhat of a reputation for acting up.
Back to top Go down
Lechettan
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Headlights off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlights off   Headlights off I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 3:50 pm

Haha. I will try ASAP and let you know. But still supposing that the switch is stuck and doesn’t return to his proper position it should be acting evertime when contact is turned on no ? (Which is not the case)
Back to top Go down
Lechettan
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Headlights off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlights off   Headlights off I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2020 8:25 am

Hello Tim, it doesn’t seems to work even after cleaning the starting switch.
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-27

Headlights off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlights off   Headlights off I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2020 3:14 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Do the same procedure as you did to get the turn signal to work, but this time do it on the Start switch on the throttle side. If that start switch lever doesn’t return to the proper position the headlights won’t come back ON after you’ve let loose that start lever.

Those switch contacts get gummy. Electrical contact cleaner is best for the job, but WD-40 will help too.

Thank's for the tip Tim....

Michel
Back to top Go down
Lechettan
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Headlights off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlights off   Headlights off I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2020 3:28 am

I have opened up the fuse box and replaced the headlights fuse which was down by a brand new one. Lights were now working ok. As soon as turn on headlights ; all of them stopped working and the new fuse get burned.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Headlights off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlights off   Headlights off I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2020 4:59 pm

LECHETTAN wrote:
I have opened up the fuse box and replaced the headlights fuse which was down by a brand new one. Lights were now working ok.   As soon as turn on headlights ; all of them stopped working and the new fuse get burned.

Well that would certainly indicate that you have a wiring problem. You say that ‘As soon as the headlights turn ON they stop working and the fuse is blown’.

Does this happen when you turn the ignition ON —without starting the bike? Does it happen if you turn the key ON and activate the right side Start switch —without squeezing the left side brake? How about if you squeeze that left brake with the key ON but without hitting the right side Start switch? 

Are there any aftermarket electrical circuits? If so then you might want to disconnect those circuits and try again.
Back to top Go down
Lechettan
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Headlights off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlights off   Headlights off I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 12:12 pm

Hello Tim,
Does this happen when you turn the ignition ON —without starting the bike? ==> no but if I switch the headlights on, I loose them. Sometime they keep on, but I loose them as soon as I accelerate.

Does it happen if you turn the key ON and activate the right side Start switch —without squeezing the left side brake? ==> I don’t loose them

How about if you squeeze that left brake with the key ON but without hitting the right side Start switch? ==> I don’t loose them too
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Headlights off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlights off   Headlights off I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 1:18 pm

I loose them. Sometime they keep on, but I loose them as soon as I accelerate.

I don't like electrical gremlins so without being there I'll lean to a wire rubbing somewhere that shorts out and blows the fuse. Me ? with the bike on the center stand and running I'd get to the condition where I have the headlights on then start trying to move what wires I could get to and see if that blows the fuse, it sounds like that switch / wiring MIGHT be the problem, is the road you ride on rough?
Back to top Go down
Lechettan
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Headlights off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlights off   Headlights off I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 2:37 pm

the road is generally ok but in some places in paris there are caves. electrical problems are a real hell. how to find the electric wire which is default without a headeck
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Headlights off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlights off   Headlights off I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 2:45 pm

LECHETTAN wrote:
the road is generally ok but in some places in paris there are caves. electrical problems are a real hell. how to find the electric wire which is default without a headeck

Agree, being there doing is best, next is the xxxx is making a noise like yyyy Smile I chased a noise on a 89 G'Wing for a fellow, got it fixed but what a nightmare.

When a wire harness can be accessed without a lot of panels being removed one can shake or gently poke around to see if that triggers the problem.

Above all providing answers helps everyone once the problem is corrected.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Headlights off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlights off   Headlights off I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Headlights off
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing-
Jump to: