Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New member greetings from Boulder, CO

Go down 
+3
exavid
oldwingguy
Airhead
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Airhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-07-22

New member greetings from Boulder, CO Empty
PostSubject: New member greetings from Boulder, CO   New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 11:35 am

Hello to all.
I'm a second time around SWing owner.  I bought my first SWing (2004) in 2013.  I'm a long time BMW Airhead fan but was having comfort issues with a bad hip and knee.  I found that scooters were the solution to these problems and the SWing became my primary rider.  Later that year I got seduced by technology and bought a new BMW C650GT, selling the SWing the next spring.  I put 7K miles on the BMW and loved the comfort and handling.  What became scary was the  potential service costs and the fact that the nearest BMW dealers were in Denver.  I've always done most of my own services and repairs but this scooter was a different beast than the swing or my old simple Airheads.  After a couple significant recalls I sold the BMW and was scooter-less for a while, wishing I had never sold the SWing

Last May (two days before knee replacement surgery) I bought a used 2014 Honda NC700XD with 700 miles on it and put a couple thousand miles on when I was able to get back in the saddle.  I still have the NC700 but remembered how much I enjoyed the SWing so last fall I bought a 2006 Swing with 6,700 miles on it. I've done all the catch-up maintenance on it, changed the drive belt and scrubbed the clutch pads, and added the Clearview windshield.
Glad to be back on the Swing and am considering selling the NC700.
Photos are the first 2004 Swing, and 2006 Swing
Attachments
New member greetings from Boulder, CO Attachment2004 Swing.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(92 Kb) Downloaded 17 times
New member greetings from Boulder, CO Attachment2006 Swing.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(97 Kb) Downloaded 10 times
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: New member greetings from Boulder, CO   New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 7:26 pm

Welcome from o-HI-o land of the wet.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: New member greetings from Boulder, CO   New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 9:54 pm

Welcome back! I did about the same thing. I gave up my Goldwing and K1100LT, knee trouble. I bought a C650GT and liked the scooter a lot but it was the difficulty of getting service manuals and parts plus the price of having scheduled maintenance done on it by a dealer.

So it was back to the Silverwing, reliable, easy to find parts and service manuals and much cheaper to maintain. I miss some things about the BMW scooter, mainly that single sided swing arm but the Silverwing makes me happy and I'll keep this '08 until I hang up the helmet for good.
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Re: New member greetings from Boulder, CO   New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 6:36 am

Right on about the BMW scooters in my opinion. Had a 2013 c 600 sport, like the 'Wing much more. Paul
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: New member greetings from Boulder, CO   New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 6:47 am

I have been riding two wheelers since 1970. My Silver Wing was/is my first scooter, and one of the most comfortable machines I have ridden. Obviously the GL1800 was a bit better but like the QE2 around town. I have a close friend that traded his Swing for an NC700 but he got tired of the chain maintenance and for some reason it ate tires like crazy. Flat tires mostly, no idea why... He jumped to a Burgman 400 (very similar to the SWing) and is happy. He would have got another Silver Wing if they were still available.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: New member greetings from Boulder, CO   New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 2:10 pm

I don't regret any of the miles I rode Goldwings, I put 60,000 miles on my '93 1500, rode it from Seattle to San Diego, from Medford, OR to Calhoun, Georgia. Lots of highway and byway miles on that machine. Never had a bit of trouble with it. Greatest road bike ever in IMO. I had two GL1800s likewise excellent motorcycles if a person wants to make the most miles per day in reasonable comfort.

There were other bikes in the garage during those years, including three SW's a Burgman 650 and two BMW K1200LTs. A Goldwing along with a Silverwing make a perfect pair for all types of riding other than hard brush bashing.

But age and wear and tear make a man a little less brash, a little less of an 'iron butt' type rider leaving me with the best for me now and that's the Silver Wing.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: New member greetings from Boulder, CO   New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 8:21 pm

Welcome. SW is a good bike as you already know. Sometimes simpler is better and much easier to work on. Newer bikes with all the TECH. leave most people in the dark as to how to repair them.
Internet info. is great but not always a solution and parts are expensive.

Spent a short time in CO. been through Boulder, Denver and a few other places out there. I wasn't a rider back then and would like to do it again on two wheels.

Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New member greetings from Boulder, CO   New member greetings from Boulder, CO I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 10:17 pm

Welcome Airhead to the BEST SWing site on the net. Lots of info and people willing to help. I've learned a lot just by being a member here.
Here's a pic of my converted SWing. No regrets.
New member greetings from Boulder, CO Coborn26
Back to top Go down

New member greetings from Boulder, CO
Page 1 of 1