Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 11:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 9:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 9:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:56 am

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:57 am

» Hello everyone
Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:41 am

» tiny oil leak
Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Dr Pulley Help

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:50 am

Hello folks I have looked for two days to find a place to purchase A Dr Pulley HiT clutch 251706 for my Swing but keep coming up short Dr Pulley Help Icon_geek . I have reread every thread on the forum three times and have ben unsuccessful in finding a buy it now. Helllllllllllllllllp Dr Pulley Help Affraid
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:54 am

Chief Rider wrote:
Hello folks I have looked for two days to find a place to purchase A Dr Pulley HiT clutch 251706 for my Swing but keep coming up short Dr Pulley Help Icon_geek . I have reread every thread on the forum three times and have ben unsuccessful in finding a buy it now. Helllllllllllllllllp Dr Pulley Help Affraid

Email address: Paul Wu ( "Paul " <paul@unionmaterial.com> ) from http://www.unionmaterial.com
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 5:02 am

Thanks Honda -Silver I saw the info and email of Paul Wu but I thought that was for tech help I did not know that he had a retail outlet.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 5:30 am

Chief Rider wrote:
Thanks Honda -Silver I saw the info and email of Paul Wu but I thought that was for tech help I did not know that he had a retail outlet.

Also check with www.mrp-speed.com they claim they are US distributor for Union Materials ... otherwise Paul Wu could ship directly to you.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 5:34 am

Hi Chief

If you need any how-to or tweaking info when you get your new HiT Clutch contact me via PM.

I've had my HiT Clutch since summer and have had the "opportunity" to remove & reinstall it several times.

Paul Wu of Union Material (Dr Pulley) is the go-to guy for ordering and follow-up tech info.

As I remember, he shipped my Clutch kit via DHL and it arrived at my door in less than a week. The kit also comes with an extra selection (your choice of weights) of variator Sliders and/or Rollers sets.

Good luck

Tim
'03 Silverwing, Cosmic JUmper
Philadelphia

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Tim thanks a lot for the offer of help on the clutch. I have ran into something interesting. While trying to find a distributor to order the Dr Pulley I talked to a shop owner in Springfield Missouri. He has a garage that speializes scooter and motorcycles and does a lot of clutch work. In conversation with him about ordering he ask me what was wrong with the clutch I have now. I explained that I was wanting one that was quicker on take off and his reply was the stock one was a quality clutch and to bring it in and we would change the rollers and springs. I thanked him and said I would get back. I wanted to put this out to the forum and get some input.
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 4:27 pm

Chief, I was also talking to the Honda mechanic at my local dealer about tweaking the stock clutch and he said the same thing. The stock clutch is a very high quality unit and a little tweaking with a stronger springs such as a malossi would be all that is necessary if I wanted a quicker take off. Much cheaper option.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 6:00 am

Chief Rider wrote:
.... wanting one that was quicker on take off and his reply was the stock one was a quality clutch and to bring it in and we would change the rollers and springs.

I sure wouldn't argue with that reasoning. It's definitely a whole lot cheaper than the HiT Kit, and if upgrading the springs to Malossi's gives you the increased clutch performance you need then you're good to go.

Changing the variator rollers to lighter weight rollers or sliders will give you the most bang for your buck and most noticeable performance increase. However, you'll still need to get that performance increase thru the clutch. IMHO the OEM clutch is the weak link in the performance chain. I opted to go with Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch, but that is not to say that upgrading the OEM unit with Malossi springs also give a big improvement too.

FWIW, I've got two sets of new Dr Pulley Rollers (26 gm and 24 gm) in factory sealed packs available FS.

Whichever way you go, please post how things work out for you.

Tim
'03 Silverwing, Cosmic Jumper
Philadelphia
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 3:35 pm

Good Morning Tim

The input from others here on this site is invaluable. If I can achieve the results that I want by altering the Honda clutch it will be great, if not then I will purchase a Dr. Pulley. I am a little hesitant to spend 400.00 plus on China made parts because my exposure to China made bikes and scooters have not been positive. My experience with Honda has a long track record of high quality and many trouble free miles so I am prejudiced. When I get off work in two weeks the testing will begin and I will keep good records so that I can pass on the information and hopefully save others time and money. Thanks for supplying the info on available springs I will keep them in mind. Till then thanks again David V.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 5:20 am

Chief Rider wrote:

The input from others here on this site is invaluable. If I can achieve the results that I want by altering the Honda clutch it will be great, if not then I will purchase a Dr. Pulley. I am a little hesitant to spend 400.00 plus on China made parts because my exposure to China made bikes and scooters have not been positive. My experience with Honda has a long track record of high quality and many trouble free miles so I am prejudiced. When I get off work in two weeks the testing will begin and I will keep good records so that I can pass on the information and hopefully save others time and money. Thanks for supplying the info on available springs I will keep them in mind. Till then thanks again David V.

Chief

Not to minimise your concern about parts quality, but the Dr Pulley stuff comes from Taiwan, not China. Huge difference in quality over Chinese crap.

Kymco, the Taiwan corp has been making (some) Honda engines and other components for decades. And the Kymco scoots sold here in the US are very good quality both design & dependability wise.

Tim
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 4:57 pm

I looked at some Kimco's at STO and they looked great. I also talked to some owners that put a lot of miles on them and they were happy. I am glad that I was misinformed as to the origin of the Dr. Pulley clutch and like you my experience with products coming out of Taiwan has been good. Thanks for the info because when I try springs and sliders or rolers I will check as to the origin. David V.
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 6:11 am

Based on my experience with the rollers in both my Helix and Silverwing, I believe that Dr. Pulley makes quality products that are noticeably better than stock roller weights although I can't speak with any experience on the hit clutch though as I have used only Malossi on both the Helix and soon to be on the swing.

As to the Honda Clutch with added springs, the stronger springs will force the clutch to engage at higher RPM and should definitely help the take off. If your bike has some mileage on it, and you suspect that you have a good degree of clutch wear, a new clutch such as the malossi might be a good investment. I've recently purchased a Malossi Fly Clutch and I have read that they are supposedly a good bit lighter than the stock clutch which should help in reducing rotating mass (If anyone happens to have a stock clutch and can weigh it, I will weigh the malossi and we can compare to verify the claim). In addition to the malossi clutch, I purchased a set of the racing springs and installed the heaviest red springs in the clutch (This was a butt of a job until I figured out the best tool and method to use and I will document this at a later date in the tutorials along with the clutch install as soon as I finish the job when it WARMS UP!) As soon as I get a good day... I will install the new clutch on the Swing. The hit clutch reviews have been really good but it also seems like there is a lot of adjustment to get it perfect. The malossi supposedly works beautiful right out of the box and is much cheaper. Perhaps adding the stiffer springs as I have will give it comparable results to the hit clutch. I suspect most who install the Malossi probably leave the factory white springs in and never bother to change them thus lowering the RPM engagement. Before I install the Malossi clutch, I am going to run a quarter mile and 0-60 using GPS & Timer to see what difference is made. I hope I get good results.

Chief..... I've got an extra set of brand new white springs which are stronger than stock but not as strong as the red ones. If you would like them... PM me and I'll get them to you.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 11:19 pm

Hey Mr. Ron

ronjr009 wrote:
Based on my experience with the rollers in both my Helix and Silverwing, I believe that Dr. Pulley makes quality products that are noticeably better than stock roller weights although I can't speak with any experience on the hit clutch though as I have used only Malossi on both the Helix and soon to be on the swing.

As to the Honda Clutch with added springs, the stronger springs will force the clutch to engage at higher RPM and should definitely help the take off.

As said before; The HiT Clutch locks-up at higher RPMs. So there in no clutch slipping after that (e.g. like when you WOT to pass some caged nimrod). While stronger springs like Malossi will cause you to rev higher before the clutch engages. And the increased tension of the new springs should also reduce slipping too.

If your bike has some mileage on it, and you suspect that you have a good degree of clutch wear, a new clutch such as the malossi might be a good investment. I've recently purchased a Malossi Fly Clutch and I have read that they are supposedly a good bit lighter than the stock clutch which should help in reducing rotating mass

Keep in mind that there is a significant amount of heat generated by the clutch. That mass may well help to dissapate (sp?) that heat. A lighter weight mass might not be much of an advantage.

(If anyone happens to have a stock clutch and can weigh it, I will weigh the malossi and we can compare to verify the claim).

The stock clutch weighs 4 lbs, 4.4 oz --that's per my local Post Office's scale.

In addition to the malossi clutch, I purchased a set of the racing springs and installed the heaviest red springs in the clutch (This was a butt of a job until I figured out the best tool and method to use and I will document this at a later date in the tutorials along with the clutch install as soon as I finish the job when it WARMS UP!) As soon as I get a good day... I will install the new clutch on the Swing. The hit clutch reviews have been really good but it also seems like there is a lot of adjustment to get it perfect

That "lot of adjustment" issue may well have been that I was one of the few -if not the first- to purchase the HiT Clutch here in the US. The Clutch was not set up correctly by the factory. So it took quite a bit of trial & error before things got sorted out. Glad I'm able to do my own wrenching and not have to pay someone else to do the work.

"Ray Jasper's" original HiT Clutch post & review were chapter & verse quotes from Union Material's product release info. I don't ever recall him posting any scoot related info before that original post. And he seem's to have disappeared into the woodwork since then too.

. The malossi supposedly works beautiful right out of the box and is much cheaper. Perhaps adding the stiffer springs as I have will give it comparable results to the hit clutch. I suspect most who install the Malossi probably leave the factory white springs in and never bother to change them thus lowering the RPM engagement. Before I install the Malossi clutch, I am going to run a quarter mile and 0-60 using GPS & Timer to see what difference is made. I hope I get good results.

Chief..... I've got an extra set of brand new white springs which are stronger than stock but not as strong as the red ones. If you would like them... PM me and I'll get them to you.

Hope this helps.

Tim
'03 Silverwing, Cosmic Jumper
Philadelphia

Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 8:58 am

Unless you're drag racing I would think you'd want the clutch to begin to engage at the same RPMs as stock. But I would like it to bite a little harder than stock at that same engine speed. Just a little, or it would tend to "kill" the engine just like you popped a manual clutch too quickly.

On second thought, I suppose more "bite" pretty much has to be accompanied by a higher engagement RPM.

Hmmm......I don't want to wreck driveability in busy traffic. Better leave well enough alone in the clutch department. The HiT seems to be plenty adjustable, but will provide more solid engagement at higher revs. That might be the ticket. The Malossi sounds like more of a "racer's" clutch, and that isn't what I'm looking for.
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 1:21 am

The Malossi isn't necessarily a racing clutch. It can be if you want it to be. It basically comes down to the springs that you use in the clutch. It can be set up to engage at a slightly higher RPM (which is how it comes in the package) to a wilder and higher RPM by using any of the 3 sets of additional springs that you can purchase for it. The springs are the only adjustment for this particular clutch. I've installed my springs (the stiff reds) but am still waiting for a nice day to switch the clutches out. If we can get a day in the upper 40's to low 50's, I'll get the job done and report the results. If it makes the bike extremely "twitchy" and overly responsive, I will probably go to a milder spring (medium yellow or soft white). I definitely would like to see a good improvement over stock though. I used the red springs on my Helix when I changed clutches in it a few years back. It did make a nice improvement and it was not overly responsive. Then again...... the helix pumps out about 20 ponies as compared to about 50 for the swing so that is definitely an apples to oranges comparison so I can't make the same conclusion until the job is done and tested. What is interesting, is that the malossi clutch for the Helix could have the shoes adjusted in addition to the springs whereas the clutch for Swing is non-adjustable except for the springs. I am curious as to why Malossi has done this and have looked at other boards but can find no info on the topic.
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 8:49 pm

The Martin Racing site is no help. I emailed them, and they directed me to their retail site: www.mrscooterstore.com It's as worthless as tits on a boar hog. I hate a bad attempt at a retail website.

Looks like the whole world is out of Dr. Pulley sliders. Their site has no mention of HiT clutches at all. I guess I'll have to break down and do it the old fashioned way and use the TELEPHONE, if I can remember how to use it.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 1:58 am

mickey wrote:
Looks like the whole world is out of Dr. Pulley
sliders. Their site has no mention of HiT clutches at all. I guess I'll
have to break down and do it the old fashioned way and use the
TELEPHONE, if I can remember how to use it.

If you go to http://www.unionmaterial.com then click left-side "Contact" or use email unionltd@ms14.hinet.net . They were very quick to respond to emails.
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 9:16 am

honda_silver wrote:
mickey wrote:
Looks like the whole world is out of Dr. Pulley
sliders. Their site has no mention of HiT clutches at all. I guess I'll
have to break down and do it the old fashioned way and use the
TELEPHONE, if I can remember how to use it.

If you go to http://www.unionmaterial.com then click left-side "Contact" or use email unionltd@ms14.hinet.net . They were very quick to respond to emails.

Thanks. I'll go to the source. That's always a good idea anyway. "Always talk to the Chief, not the indians."
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 11:11 am

I just got a quote from Paul at Union Materials (Dr. Pulley): $420 for the HiT clutch and a set of sliders if I "promise to post results" to this forum. (Which I intend to do, of course.)

I told him I'll order in 2 or 3 more weeks, when I can pony up the dough, and that if all goes well and I like the results I might consider becoming a Distributor. I'm disappointed by the lack of E-commerce know-how on the various web sites. Union Materials seems to expect me to put my credit card information in an email, but I'm not THAT dumb. I'll send a cashier's check via snail mail. But I think I see a niche market for somebody willing to put up a decent web site, or at least an Ebay retailer program of some kind. In fact, I'd be happy to just arrange drop-shipping from Union Materials for a nominal fee and just handle the transactions for them in a more "modern" way. I think they're really missing out on a lot of sales by not having a simple, clear "Pay here via secure connection" option of some sort and a clear cut, easily understood online catalog. Any any such enterprise should reasonably include some installation pictorials. It's easy enough to do.
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 12:43 am

Does $420 for clutch and sliders seem awfully steep to anybody else? The Malossi clutch is $200.

(edit: The $420 includes shipping from Taiwan)

Last edited by mickey on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 10:25 am

A little bird whispered in my ear that I'd be paying for shipping from Taiwan, which would run well over $100. The price of the HiT clutch is probably comparable to the Malossi, but the shipping is a killer.

I'm not paying that kind of money to ship anything smaller than an entire Silverwing.

I'd really like to try the gadget, but the fact that there are none in stock in the USA is a deal killer for me. Their so-called "distributor" only carries the most popular ones, I'm sure. Nobody is going to keep a crate of Silverwing clutches in stock.

Dr. Pulley would do well to grant a license to manufacture the product in the US. Or at least Mexico, or something.

Meanwhile, I think I'll take another hard look at the Malossi and their rollers. They won't have all the benefits of the HiT clutch, but I'm sure that extra hundred-odd bucks will go a long way toward making me feel better about it.

As for becoming a Dr. Pulley distributor: I can now understand why they don't have any stocking distributors in the USA. No way I'm ordering a cargo ship full of the things to pile in my garage.

The internet makes the world look small, but it's really quite large after all.
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Its a shame. Dr. Pulley really does make good products. They really need to improve their product distribution though. Mass Scoot and I had to wait for at least 2-3 months to get our sliders last year. The sliders are awesome. It is such a shame. It seems like stores like scooter trap are able to get maybe a few shipments a year and once they sell out... you have to wait till the next batch comes in. Mickey, I agree with you, the cost is a little steep for the Hit clutch... especially when you factor in the shipping. That is why I chose the malossi as well. I am still waiting for a warm day install it. I think winter will never end..... Keep trying to find some sliders though. I like the sliders enough to where I'd be willing to wait for them. Those 28 gram sliders are really nice and really help you out at speeds over 55 MPH by lowering those RPM's. I will see if I can find some for you and If I can.... I'll PM you. I have a few ideas where to look that have things for the Honda Helix as their parts/engines are used on buggies. They may have them for Swing as well.
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 6:30 pm

Here are some places that claim to have the coveted Dr. P Weights.
Monster Scooterparts is not showing the 28 Gram Weights but the lighter ones but KSpowerline does. Most of the sites I looked at that have the Honda Helix/CN-250/Kart/Buggy only carry for that application and not Maxiscoots so those sights weren't much help.

http://www.kspoweronline.com/product_info.php?products_id=266&osCsid=3b07f0e50793436bc0142569e93877cd

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/28x20-dr-pulley-sliding-roller-weights.html
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 5:01 am

Sliders ordered. Thanks! That's what an e-commerce site should look like. Plus they have some hard-to-find items (in the U.S. anyway) and their prices are decent. How come you could find them and I couldn't? Somebody needs to introduce them to Google.
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 5:03 am

I think I'll go with some slightly heavier Malossi springs on the stock clutch, which is probably still like new, and maybe a new belt if I still have problems. But I suspect that sliders and springs, plus some general cleanup and lubricating as needed, will get me though this season no problem.

I still need to get the Day-Long taken care of before the season starts. (Which, given the state of "global warming" this year, might be in August.)
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 8:41 am

I thought I had a line on some 28 gram sliders from KS Powersports, but after ordering them I found out he only has the 23s. The 28s are on eternal backorder. Sorry, Dr. Pulley, but I give up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dr Pulley Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Help   Dr Pulley Help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Help
Page 1 of 1