Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Leather Chaps

Go down 
+3
joncallihan
honda_silver
MikeO
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Leather Chaps Empty
PostSubject: Leather Chaps   Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:23 pm

Has anyone any experience of leather chaps for riding?
I'm thinking they me be what I need for Spring/Autumn riding when the weather's too cold for summer-weight trousers and too warm for winter ones.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Leather Chaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leather Chaps   Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 6:10 pm

MikeO wrote:
Has anyone any experience of leather chaps for riding?

Has anyone any experience of leather chaps for riding? ... for the SWing right? Leather Chaps Icon_twisted The heal spurs on the boots added a nice touch too Leather Chaps Icon_razz

MikeO wrote:
I'm thinking they me be what I need for Spring/Autumn riding when the weather's too cold for summer-weight trousers and too warm for winter ones.

I wear my waterproof/windproof pants under my riding pants.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Leather Chaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leather Chaps   Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Mike,

Give a moment to think of where the cool/cold air goes when riding a scooter...
I think that chaps might be of more use in REALLY HOT weather.

Jon
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

Leather Chaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leather Chaps   Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:26 am

Hey - Honda_Silver,
What do you use as water/windproof pants under your riding gear? I've got an EXCL armored mesh riding set (pant and jacket) that I wear all the time. For cold weather I've got long johns under my jeans but that isn't always enough. The jacket set has a rain liner and an insulated liner but the pants only have the mesh under the 'poly' outer shell.

Have been trying to find a 'lite' "something" to wear under the mesh pants that would be weather proof. Had been thinking of just putting on my rain gear but that just adds to the bulk. Someone else even mentioned ski pants but there again, wanted to stay away from the bulk. Would like to know what you've found that might be more suitable. Thanks for any info.

(Hope this adds to the thread rather than steals it...)
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Leather Chaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leather Chaps   Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:25 am

The chief reason for my considering chaps is that I ride the Silverwing to Church on Sunday evenings when it's not sensible to cycle.

Although no-one minds my being in bike gear, I don't feel comfortable so wear 'normal' trousers for the service, especially if I'm reading lessons.
At the moment I have to change.

It seemed to me that to be able to zip off chaps might be a good solution.
I do wear waterproof over-trousers if it's raining and thin thermal M&S long-johns if cold.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Leather Chaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leather Chaps   Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 10:29 am

DickO wrote:
What do you use as water/windproof pants under your riding gear? I've got an EXCL armored mesh riding set (pant and jacket) that I wear all the time. For cold weather I've got long johns under my jeans but that isn't always enough. The jacket set has a rain liner and an insulated liner but the pants only have the mesh under the 'poly' outer shell.

Have been trying to find a 'lite' "something" to wear under the mesh pants that would be weather proof. Had been thinking of just putting on my rain gear but that just adds to the bulk. Someone else even mentioned ski pants but there again, wanted to stay away from the bulk. Would like to know what you've found that might be more suitable. Thanks for any info.

Here are the pants and jacket I wear underneath my Kevlar mesh pants and jacket:

Pants:
http://www.motoport.com/_product_35444/Aero-Tex_Fly_Zip_Pant

There is an optional pants liner ( http://www.motoport.com/_product_35444/Aero-Tex_Pant_Liner ) ... which I do not have.

Jacket with liner:
http://www.motoport.com/_product_35444/Ultra_II_2_Part_Jacket_Liner

I believe they are an Aerostitch pants/jacket with a one modification.

So I use them both for rain and cold weather riding.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Leather Chaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leather Chaps   Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:44 pm

MikeO wrote:
The chief reason for my considering chaps is that I ride the Silverwing to Church on Sunday evenings when it's not sensible to cycle.

Apart from my initial chuckle Mike. (The visions of you lassoing Belgian herds whilst riding your 'Wing' took ages to clear) Laughing

Seriously, why should anyone mind your dress in church. we have a vicar in Dorset who is a bit of a biker and I believe he attends in leathers on occasions.

Your beliefs are not fashion statements my friend. You wear your clobber and show the people that your as passionate about staying alive as you are in attending church.

Says me, who only attends weddings and funerals!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Leather Chaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leather Chaps   Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:56 pm

Waspie wrote:
You wear your clobber

What is a clobber?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Leather Chaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leather Chaps   Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 5:25 am

Slang for clothes, similar to gear - tending towards specific outfits, e.g. motorcyclegear, wedding and funeral suits, old clothes for gardening, etc.

It can also mean to hit someone, usually with something (baseball bat or club) or in a financial sense to be hit by a large tax bill or similar:
"The tax-man will clobber me with a huge bill because of all the overtime I worked".
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Leather Chaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leather Chaps   Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 am

I know what you mean about clothing in Church, Doug, but I was brought up with the 'Sunday Best' mentality and it's difficult to change that.
I do feel that if one is on display as a reader or sidesman, one should look smart.
I cringe when I see the T-shirt & jeans brigade 'leading the worship'.
Priests, servers and choristers wear liturgical gear so that their day-to-day attire does not distract the congregation.

I always wore jacket, collar and tie when I was teaching, not least because the children were expected to wear uniform, and I felt it important to take trouble with my appearence.

As for chaps for rounding up cattle on the prairies, they are also worn for certain fringe 'activities' but we'd best not go down that path! Leather Chaps Icon_razz

Last edited by MikeO on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Leather Chaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leather Chaps   Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 10:08 am

Another alternative is a pair of waterproof/windproof snow boarding pants. I have a pair made by Columbia that I can slip on over my work clothes and they seem to work great. The legs are large enough to go on and off over my riding boots so in just a few seconds I am ready to go.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Leather Chaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leather Chaps   Leather Chaps I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 12:35 am

For cold weather riding I just slip my Frogg Toggs rain pants on over whatever I'm wearing. They are very light, take up little room in the bike, are rain proof but breath so they don't make a person sweat and reasonably inexpensive. They are windproof so the cold doesn't come through and the pants underneath provide air space for insulation. I've had my set of Frogg Toggs for about five years and have used them many times on road trips. They look like paper but wear like iron.

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/Motorcycle.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Leather Chaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leather Chaps   Leather Chaps I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leather Chaps
Page 1 of 1