Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

85 thousand miles

Go down 
+4
exavid
EvilTwin
Cosmic_Jumper
Theredfox
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Theredfox
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2019-10-20

85 thousand miles Empty
PostSubject: 85 thousand miles   85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2019 2:20 pm

Hello.. Help wanted please. There is a Honda silverwing available for sale. I'm thinking of buying it. It has no history. Is 85 k miles high. It is a 2007 model
Back to top Go down
Theredfox
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2019-10-20

85 thousand miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: 85 thousand miles   85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2019 2:23 pm

Would anyone have. Its been sold from a Honda garage. They are not offering a warranty because of "high milage" any advise would be appreciated
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

85 thousand miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: 85 thousand miles   85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2019 5:23 pm

At 85000 miles and no warranty it’s gotta be damn cheap. Even cheaper if a private deal. Here is a link to FaceBook Market Place for some local Silverwing listings. Maybe that will help you in determining its value. HTH

[url=https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/philly/search/?query=Honda Silverwing 600&vertical=C2C&sort=BEST_MATCH]https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/philly/search/?query=Honda%20Silverwing%20600&vertical=C2C&sort=BEST_MATCH[/url]
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2017-05-30

85 thousand miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: 85 thousand miles   85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2019 7:00 pm

Theredfox wrote:
Hello.. Help wanted please. There is a Honda silverwing available for sale. I'm thinking of buying it. It has no history. Is 85 k miles high. It is a 2007 model

Yes it is. That doesnt mean that the bike still doesnt have more miles left, but lots of things could be worn out or it may have had a rough life. No way to tell unless you ride it and go over it in person.

Whatever the going rate for one of these bikes is there, I would offer maybe a quarter of that. And if you arent ready to do some wrenching on it, I would pass it up for something with much fewer miles.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

85 thousand miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: 85 thousand miles   85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2019 8:44 pm

I wouldn't pay more than $500-600 for a scooter with that many miles and it would have to look and run very good. It might be a good deal as is but I doubt it. But I'm sure one could bring it into good shape with no more than $1000 in parts at most.

There have been many Silverwing owners reporting more than a 100,000 miles on their scooters but that usually requires plenty of maintenance over that period.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

85 thousand miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: 85 thousand miles   85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2019 11:33 am

I bought an Elite 250 many moons ago with 70,000 miles. Guy wanted $500 for it. Ran great, had all service records from dealer, and all paperwork for owner serviced items. It got me into bigger scooters for a good price. After 2 years of using it to commute I gave it to someone who wanted a parts Elite 250. I didnt want to rebuild the headset, look into the rear mystery leak or wrestle corroded brake parts. Still worth the $500 to test the water as I ended up buying a new Honda Helix not long after. So price is very important.
Back to top Go down
Rick Rodriguez
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2020-02-18

85 thousand miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: 85 thousand miles   85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 4:11 pm

My 2006 with 77,000 is still strong , no leaks, etc. these liquid cooled engines will last as long as a car/truck engine with good maintenance. My late brother-in-law a super bike mechanic (RIP) showed me a few Honda M/C s with more than 200,000 miles on them and all they ever needed were tuneups primarily and still in very dependable condition. Not afraid to ride mine anywhere. My opinion.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2018-06-30

85 thousand miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: 85 thousand miles   85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 5:08 pm

I learned the hard way about price for a the Swing because I bought it because it was there.

Went to a Honda dealer to buy a Honda Shadow/Phantom and this used 2008 Swing was sitting in front of the place.  Sat on it and it fit.  Scratched my head and read just a bit about the bike and thought a 600 cc for $2,200 would be just grand. The bike had 52k on it.

The engine runs great but have had to rebuild forks and replace all basic safety items, plus belt.  I did a short trip and the "V" light has now come on with a rattle below me.  Probably rollers etc.... also need replacing.  I should have paid between $800 anda $1,000 for it.

Good news here though.  I made mention of this in another post.  I have purchased a 2013 Swing with 12K on it. The dealer in MI went over entire bike plus per manual work.  (they will send all vehicles to auction that don't pass their quality threshold.)  Guarantee for a year etc.....  Paid $4,000 for it, plus $200 for delivery from MI to NH.  Yippee   small moped

I will be living like I do with bicycles.  Always have two so one can be on the road. I don't own a four wheeled vehicle so the two wheels need to keep me on the road to all things fun.  I do plan to continue fix the higher mileage bike but won't need to hurry and can keep the $$$ spending to where I want it.

With all the rambling above said, Bargain with the idea of how much you may have to put into the bike.
Back to top Go down
Rick Rodriguez
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

85 thousand miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: 85 thousand miles   85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 5:41 pm

True always look for the hidden problems with a high mileage bike. And unless an owner can do the repairs, it can get expensive at a dealer. The Honda dealer in Tyler Texas is not one to take it to. The consumables, brake shoes, drive belt and tires are a constant expense upon high milage and should be expected. Any maintenance that is needed should be done as it appears. Waiting and something else comes up then the decision on the most important will have to be addressed first, not a good situation to be in. My opinion.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

85 thousand miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: 85 thousand miles   85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 5:46 pm

A 52,000 mile Silverwing is barely broken in.

BTW it’s customary for new members to post an introduction in the, um, Introduction section.
Back to top Go down
Rick Rodriguez
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

85 thousand miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: 85 thousand miles   85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 6:20 pm

I thought I did it. Must have not been put on 🙁. I’ll go back and do it again. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

85 thousand miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: 85 thousand miles   85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2020 8:09 am

I agree that there are a lot of miles left for the 52,000 mile Swing.
As you guys say, "The engine is bullet proof."  It just keeps needing replacement of parts.  I've put another $2,000 into the bike since purchase.  I can do the rollers etc but fear the clutch will need a lot of work done to.  Not sure I can do that.  So more waiting and expense and bike off the road.  I'm just saying that I should have done more research etc before buying. Would have struck a much better deal in $$$.

Anyway, I fell in love the 2008 and immediately started saving for one with lower mileage.  Two bikes and always one on the road.

Everyone here is great, Thank You! thumbs up thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

85 thousand miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: 85 thousand miles   85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2020 8:53 pm

Osprey if you can replace rollers-belt clutch work easy enough. Rear pulley is just one nut to remove and clutch shoes are right there. Easy. Taking rear driven hub apart is a little harder but one could make the tools to do it . Threaded rod and a collar to compress spring there is not a lot of pressure on it.

Enjoy newer SW.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

85 thousand miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: 85 thousand miles   85 thousand miles I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2020 9:10 am

Thank you, Mec 1 twa.

That gives me some confidence to try it out here at home first.  Another reason to have two bikes.  Screw up on a repair and can still ride.  Smile  

No work until probably late April as I live up in the heart of the White Moutains, NH.  It's a bit cool for a long time in the winter.  It's currently 3 degrees out right now.  Thankfully, the high winds have stopped making for a lovely day!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

85 thousand miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: 85 thousand miles   85 thousand miles I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

85 thousand miles
Page 1 of 1