Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

tank size question for 400 owners

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
Sepp
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

tank size question for 400 owners Empty
PostSubject: tank size question for 400 owners   tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 6:37 pm

OK I have a SW-T400 (the new model) without ABS. Just normal brakes.
All manuals, websites, and Honda declares the tank to hold 16 liters (4.3 US gallons).
When my needle LEAVES the red zone I can fill it up with 12 liters.

Does anybody has an idea or explanation or do I need to fill some gas into a bottle and ride until she stalls because of no fuel?

They can not mean a 4 liter reserve below the red zone???
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: tank size question for 400 owners   tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 7:14 pm

That seems about right for the FSC600’s. Maybe 3.5 L.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: tank size question for 400 owners   tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2019 12:52 am

I concur, the reserve light comes on with a little less than a quarter tank or thereabouts.
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: tank size question for 400 owners   tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2019 9:01 pm

So when the needle is at 0 and does not move no more THEN the reserve comes in?
If this is correct it is contrary to every fuel reserve system I have ever encountered.

There is no lamp at the SW-t400 just a needle and a read zone at the end of the scale.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: tank size question for 400 owners   tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2019 9:19 am

The FSC & FJS models have an LED fuel gauge. Not an analog-type needle gauge. 

Maybe if you check with Silver Wing Club Italy forum they will have a more definitive answer for you.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: tank size question for 400 owners   tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2019 9:53 am

There's very few forum members that own the SW-T version of the Silver Wing. It wasn't imported to North America, and Honda UK continued selling the original FJS models well in 2016 when it was finally discontinued. Why they did that I've no idea as both SW-T Silver Wings were available over in mainland Europe from 2009-10 onwards.

As far as I'm aware any owner of a SW-T 400 or 600 that have previously joined silverwing600 are from European countries or further afield that imported it. Usually they make a few early posts and then they're never heard from again.

The SW-T Silver Wing has now been similarly discontinued like it's older siblings, most likely because like the FJS it's engine failed to meet the newer and stricter Euro emissions regulations.

After all it was basically the original model freshened up with cosmetic changes like twin headlights, black wheels and fork legs, a different rear lights display, repositioned front indicators, and as Timothy explained a different instrument display with more analogue gauges.
Back to top Go down
arskal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
arskal

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2017-07-13

PostSubject: Re: tank size question for 400 owners   tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Sepp wrote:
So when the needle is at 0 and does not move no more THEN the reserve comes in?
If this is correct it is contrary to every fuel reserve system I have ever encountered.

There is no lamp at the SW-t400 just a needle and a read zone at the end of the scale.

My SW-T600 do exactly the same. When fuel gauge needle is at 0 I can fill only 12 ltr. My plan is remove all fuel from tank and check how down the gauge needle looks. My scooter fuel consumption is average 3,8 - 4,2 ltr/100km so when the distancemeter show 300km I find nearest petrol station.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: tank size question for 400 owners   tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2019 6:16 pm

Carry a 1/2 L of fuel, ride your normal ride and when it starts to stumble, note needle position, add the spare fuel and ride on. I did this with my Gold Wings, when the red reserve light came on I reset the trip meter rode till it stumbled noted distance traveled and refueled.
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: tank size question for 400 owners   tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2019 7:18 pm

I think it had to do with the European Norm that required a catalytic converter.
So in markets which did not have the requirements it was easier to use up the old production what was cheaper than the new models since the SW-t400 does not even have one measly 12V power plug to save a penny.
Also the scooter market in Europa had lot of more modern looking designs so the old SW form looked like yesterday.
We buy with our eyes and emotions we keep with our brains and the quality we encounter.
Also riding days apart the old 400er 2009 (not well maintained 30.000km unstable 2up in slow driving uphill and sluggish) compared the new 2009 (72.000km well cared for with 21 gram malossi rollers which made a huge difference, very stable and not sluggish at all - also better looking design)

It is not only the tupperware and lights they changed there were sots of changing in several areas to improve the Honda, thus the name change to make clear it is a different bike.
And have been riding both 2009er I wholeheartedly agree.
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: tank size question for 400 owners   tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Meldrew wrote:
and Honda UK continued selling the original FJS models well in 2016 when it was finally discontinued.
The SW-T Silver Wing has now been similarly discontinued like it's older siblings, most likely because like the FJS it's engine failed to meet the newer and stricter Euro emissions regulations.

My 2009 is a FJS also, so they kept that

Why they did not put the engine of the Integra with the big wheels into an awesome scooter instead of a sick looking "what am I bike" is the occasional management snafu.
It could have been the ultimate Scooter.
I know because I ridden a scooter for 10 years with 16" front and back and it beats the little wheels by miles.

pictures a Spidermax compared to a Burgman 650
Attachments
tank size question for 400 owners AttachmentspidermaxXb650-frente.jpg
Spidermax vs Burgman 650 front
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(43 Kb) Downloaded 5 times
tank size question for 400 owners AttachmentspidermaxXb650-traseira-1.jpg
Spidermax vs Burgman 650 rear
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(52 Kb) Downloaded 4 times
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: tank size question for 400 owners   tank size question for 400 owners I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2019 2:57 am

The Integra didn't appeal to a lot of maxi riders initially because of it's hybrid looks and chain drive. Which is understandable if you'd opted for an Auto Only Licence and you'd only had scooters with belt drive.

As for the Malaguti Spidermax 500, it looked interesting enough when it came out but as far as I'm aware the UK importers never added to their very limited range. The standout feature of the Spidermax was the under seat storage lay out similar to the old Honda PC800 Pacific Coast.

As it happens I've spotted the rare Spydermax over in Europe in the last few weeks. A very battered looking one with a missing screen parked up in the centre of Reims, France, and more recently couple of them while on holiday in Budvar, Montenegro. One had been painted a very garish shade of yellow, the other was being used a delivery scoot and had big advertising logos on it.
Back to top Go down

tank size question for 400 owners
Page 1 of 1