Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing

Go down 
+5
lewjayjr
Phantom88
exavid
GHM-PM
TdLpps
9 posters
AuthorMessage
TdLpps
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2019-04-08

2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing Empty
PostSubject: 2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing   2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2019 11:15 pm

As a result of purchasing a seat I had for sale, I was encouraged by another member to share the story of a really nice 2004 Silver Wing that came into and exited my life over five months this year.

After owning countless motorcycles over 36 years on the road, I'd never owned a maxi-scooter.  I figured I'd get a Burgman someday, but the Silver Wing was the better choice when the time came.

In 2016 I decided to apply for a spot in the 2019 Ironbutt Rally -- an 11 day, 11,000 mile endurance event held every other year -- more info, including photo links and daily reports here .  In order to ride in the Hopeless Class, I bought a 1978 CB750A Hondamatic. I spent two years going through everything I could in order to compete in the rally and have a chance at finishing. I was accepted into the Hopeless Class in May 2018 and continued prepping the bike -- Russell seat, 11+ gallons of fuel on board, luggage, fairing, etc.

My Hondamatic in Ehrenberg, AZ:
2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing 2019061308235717-IMG_0758-L

The rally was scheduled to start the second week of June. The first week of April I was on the Hondamatic getting myself in shape for the rally and was returning from Arizona after an all day ride. Heavily loaded, riding into a 50+ mph headwind, final drive gearing lowered dramatically, I lost the engine in the Hondamatic (I figured out later, after the rally, when I disassembled the motor, that it was actually the torque converter drive unit that came apart) and wouldn't have time to build another motor before the rally started.

In order to maintain the spirit of the Hopeless Class, I had to find a bike that was either old, small, or a scooter. I found a low mile 2004 Silver Wing. I pulled out the credit card and bought what I needed to compete in the rally. Russell couldn't build me a seat in time for the rally, so I got in touch with Corbin. They could. I built the mounting racks to install my auxiliary fuel system on the Silver Wing and added my fuel tank. I had MC Cruise break out their plans and build a cruise control system based around their electronic control unit. They were long since out of stock on the Silver Wing kits. I added auxiliary lights and additional power wiring for my GPS units and cell phone. I bought and installed the Givi AF-214 shield and then went through the entire bike -- new tires (and spares), front & rear brake pads replaced, new belt, sliders and guides, all fluids (engine oil, coolant, rear drive, brake fluid, everything that could be changed, was).

My Silver Wing right before I received the Corbin seat:
2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing 2019100319393898--9119626882594805030-57742460382__EFEA14B6-40EC-4318-8D3E-3129ED65F52F-L

I was way behind schedule and in mid-May I started 24+ hour rides on the Silver Wing to get myself ready for 11 days on the bike. It was then I figured out that I couldn't get into a riding position that didn't cause a ton of pain in my knees after a few hundred miles -- (I've got one knee requiring replacement and another with a meniscus tear). On a Friday, I rode the bike 1100 miles in 18 hours but was nearly in tears when I got home.

I tried a few things but when June came around, I knew I couldn't compete. A week before the IBR I withdrew from the rally. I kept the bike in a rally-ready state in case someone found themselves on the west coast with a broken bike. My bike would be offered up as a replacement. The rally ended and no one needed my scooter.

Since I couldn't use it for my distance or rally bike, I had to decide whether or not to keep it.

I liked the Silver Wing and thought it was a great commuter. After everything I did, it ran perfect and I would have liked to have kept it. However, I have a small garage and two other bikes (the Hondamatic and a Road King that is my primary distance and rally bike) and didn't want to pay for insurance and registration on three bikes when two were more than I could ride at any one time. So after thinking about it for a month, I put the Silver Wing up for sale. No one found any value in the Corbin seat or cruise control, or the other things, so I eventually put it back to stock and sold it for market price to a guy that was really excited to find it and who likes it a lot.

I have a few of my leftover, lightly used parts available in the for sale section below.

Especially equipped with a good seat, an AF-214 shield, and cruise control, the Silver Wing is absolutely capable of long distance riding and rallying.  It never complained when run tank after tank of fuel.  It didn't run hot in the heat and never failed to start right up after a far too quick break.  Even at higher speeds it returned 45-50 mpg.  It was much better than I was -- we just weren't a good match for that kind of work.

I appreciated the experience of owning the bike and after working on every area of the scooter, I feel I've gotten to know them very well.  Honda did a really nice job of designing and building the Silver Wing.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: 2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing   2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2019 11:30 pm

Great story, thanks for sharing. Sorry about your knees, but I can understand your situation!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing   2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2019 11:53 pm

Yes indeed, the knee problem. I had to give up my fine Goldwing because of bad knees. I've since had one knee replaced and am getting by with having a doctor lube up the other one every couple of months. I won't have it replaced until I can't stand it. It took a year to get over pain with the replacement. Add to that advancing arthritis in the hands. This getting old isn't as much fun as I'd hoped. I expect to be able to keep the Silver Wing for several more years with luck. It won't be the SW's fault if I do have to part with it.
Back to top Go down
Phantom88
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2015-02-09

PostSubject: Re: 2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing   2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 3:44 am

exavid wrote:
Yes indeed, the knee problem. I had to give up my fine Goldwing because of bad knees. I've since had one knee replaced and am getting by with having a doctor lube up the other one every couple of months. I won't have it replaced until I can't stand it. It took a year to get over pain with the replacement. Add to that advancing arthritis in the hands. This getting old isn't as much fun as I'd hoped. I expect to be able to keep the Silver Wing for several more years with luck. It won't be the SW's fault if I do have to part with it.

I'm hearing you with the old body breaking down. I have two Gold Wings and they are starting to be a handful. I also have a Silverwing in the garage that was my darling wife's ride right up until that bastard cancer rendered her unable to ride any more. I lost my princess in June to that insidious disease and I promised her I would not part with her bike so it seems I will be riding it in the future. Jen rode the Silverwing for about five years and before the cancer started sapping her strength and abilities she rode an 1100 Yamaha Virago and very skillfully I might add. Fly free, my beautiful lady.
Back to top Go down
lewjayjr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2017-11-02

PostSubject: Re: 2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing   2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 9:44 am

I have one knee with no cartilage and the other knee still has a tad. I'm 6'1" and can stretch my legs out pretty good on my 2002 Swing. I have been using Absorbine Veterinary Liniment on my knees each night and they don't hurt any more. Good thing about it as I rub it in it helps my right hand that as arthritis in it. I use the Gel and you can get it at Tractor Supply or any place that sells horse supplies.
Back to top Go down
bjkaraoke
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2014-03-08

PostSubject: Re: 2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing   2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 11:08 am

exavid wrote:

I had two knee replacements and I had a Silverwing. I ended up taking the small backrest out and cutting the seat until I could sit with my legs straight out onto the footrests, the fiberglassed the hole to fit my butt. Once I did that I never had a problem with knee pain while riding.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: 2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing   2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Wha...? You fiberglassed your butt hole and now your legs are straight out?

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing   2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 2:03 pm

Yeah, but you have to make a plaster cast of it before you modify the seat for it.
Back to top Go down
Russ Wristen
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2019-06-25

PostSubject: Re: 2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing   2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 am

I have the same leg problem. Just had a total knee replacement 3 months ago, still painfull but still riding. My sWing is a 2006. The original seat sucked. I bought a used Corbin seat from a fellow in Dallas. He was 5’6”, I am 6’ and Evidently that 4 inch inseam really makes a difference because I’m about 2-3 inches from stretching my legs out comfortably. I can ride for four hours but I’ve got to take a break in between. My Swing came equipped with a Lehman trike kit. Bought it from a Second owner who bought it for his wife but she decided that she enjoyed his Can-Am a lot better. It had 7500 miles on it when I bought it and right now I’ve put another 1500 miles on it but it needed some TLC so I put it into the shop a week ago: new tires front and rear, new Windshield, new brighter headlamps and all fluids changed. Corbin seat and luggage box. I had asked if there was anyway that some front riding pegs could be installed but the shop owner didn’t know of an easy solution. I’m thinking about asking a welding buddy of mine to make me some side floorboard rails with a foot peg attached to it. Then bolt it thru the fiberglass. Give it the 2-3” extension!

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Re: 2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing   2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 9:53 am

Don't know if you found a footpeg solution or not. I saw a post (can't remember where) on a fellow with a Malaguti scooter who made some pegs out of shelf brackets. An end was flattened and attached under the mat. They folded up if impacted. With a bit of care they would even look good. Also there is a mostly nude woman on the scooter demonstrating their operation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing   2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2019 and my short ownership of a Silver Wing
Page 1 of 1