Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Grip Puppies

Go down 
+2
gustav
exavid
6 posters
AuthorMessage
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Grip Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Grip Puppies   Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 7:29 pm

I installed a pair of grip puppies a couple of days ago. I liked the feel of the thicker grips and their non slip surface. Unfortunately the arthritis in my right hand sure didn't like them. Too bad I didn't think of a way to take them off other than cutting.

I did install a Crampbuster I had on the right grip, that allows using the weight of your hand to do most of the throttle holding.

The Crampbuster works well. I narrow the blade to the width it has at the handle bar end making it a straight tongue of plastic without the wider part. When using one of these things keep the blade or paddle end turned back under the grip out of the way. When cruising or running at mainly one speed for awhile it's easy to turn it up to where the weight of your hand is holding things steady. To adjust just twist it upward and it's free to turn. I will grip and not slip when pushing down on the blade when it's behind the grip, pointing to the rider. Cheap and handy. I've had them on most of my bikes that didn't have electronic cruise.

There's a narrow blade version with a rather long tongue. I found them to snag on my gloves so I shortened the blade to about 2" long which worked fine, no snags on the gloves.

https://www.crampbuster.com/
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2019-04-13

Grip Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 9:42 pm

In my experience, a Cramp Buster on the left grip is great for a handrest. Paul
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Grip Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2019 2:11 am

I'll try that our local Honda dealer usually has them. If one's good two must be twice as good.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Grip Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 8:05 am

I have used a Crampbuster on my scooter for years; got it at Cycle Gear. Works great but will never make me forget the "real" cruise control that was on my Goldwing...
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Grip Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 12:41 pm

Me too! I installed an electronic cruise on my BMW K1100LT. It worked great. I haven't thought much about putting one on a Silverwing. It was easy on the BMW I tapped into one of the ABS wheel sensors for speed data. My Silverwing doesn't have ABS so it might be more difficult to find an easily tapped speed signal. With the CVT system syncing a cruise conrtol wont work using any speed info from engine rpms.

I'll look into it later this winter when riding weather isn't so good. It might be possible to find a magnetic sensor that would react to a magnet attached to a wheel rim. I'll have to get a new too it first. I don't have a round one on hand.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Grip Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 1:31 pm

Why not use the VSS sensor at the rear wheel?

Tim
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Grip Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 6:26 pm

Might be a possibility. I'll take a look once I get my O'scope back from a friend.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Grip Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 9:52 pm

Paul, let me know if you have any success! I would love to have an electronic cruise on my SWing!!!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Grip Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 10:34 pm

If I do get serious on such a project it won't be until the winter months. I only have one bike now. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
DLK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DLK

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2019-04-01

Grip Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2019 9:38 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
Paul, let me know if you have any success! I would love to have an electronic cruise on my SWing!!!

+1 to that... I have a lock but would love real cruise....    And I did order some puppies... just to try.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Grip Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2019 1:19 pm

All these posts about cruise control, which reminds me that my Go-Cruise is still in it's package inside that little red flap under the lid of my Givi E55 and still hasn’t been used since I bought it in... I can't remember really, probably 2012 or thereabouts. Back when I used to indulge in a bit of impulse farkling based on reading forum posts. My decision to buy and fit Grip Puppies was based on that too.

Grip Puppies as I’ve already mentioned a few times were for me on my Silver Wing complete and utter rubbish, and since then there's far superior alternatives available.

I was just thinking today on my ride from Reims to the ferry terminal at Zeebrugge that with the thinner unheated grips on my Forza I could hold 70mph or whatever speed I chose with no strain on my wrist whatsoever. That might simply be because the Halvarssons gloves I was wearing today have rough work glove like leather palms.

Anyway I'm just doodling away on my iPad on the ferry using the 90 minutes WiFi coupon I should have used on the outward crossing, and I've got another one to use up for this return crossing.

I was quite surprised when waiting with a few other bikers to board the ferry all these Trad type scooters started arriving in groups, mainly Vespa's and Lambretta's. I got chatting to one of the riders they'd all been to an invitation only scooter meet about 30 miles from the port. Interestingly the Trad guys took about as much interest in my Forza as I did in the modern Vespa scooters parked up near me.

Maybe they have the same mindset as that Trad ride in Modern Vespa or other nondescript scooter forum once memorably remarked to my great amusement, 'Maxi scooters are plastic fag chariots'.

Some of the riders there that had been to the meet were from York scooter clubs. I'll maybe pass them all on the way back to York tomorrow morning on my fag chariot as I have an appointment in York at noon.

In fact so many Trad scooters arrived instead of using the main car deck, all the bikes and scooters were signalled onto one of the elevated car decks to strap down our scoots/bikes. Believe me when all the older scooters were up there and before they switched off their engines, it got very smelly and smokey.
Back to top Go down
DLK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DLK

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2019-04-01

Grip Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2019 12:56 pm

I go them and installed them. They do what they say and went on easy with a little sprayway glass cleaner inside.. Will take some time to decide if they stay or not, but what amazed me is how much it changes the reach to the levers and switches…. Just that little bit and it makes the reach to the brakes feel like they are so far away… An my fingers don’t just find the turn signal / horn/ dimmer and kill switch … now it’s like my fingers are bumbling around on the bars instead of just naturally going were they need to….

Dan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Grip Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   Grip Puppies I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grip Puppies
Page 1 of 1