Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
New Member I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
New Member I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
New Member I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
New Member I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
New Member I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
New Member I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
New Member I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
New Member I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
New Member I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
New Member I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Go down 
+6
Dale N.
oldwingguy
CathyN
Loosemarbles
steve_h80
Biker@1973
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Biker@1973
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-08-07

New Member Empty
PostSubject: New Member   New Member I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Hi all, my name is Jim, I use bicker@1973 as my logon.  My sister is CathyN who graciously gave me her Silver Wing and encouraged me to register here.  She mentioned it is a great forum to meet other Silver Wing riders and has a ton of helpful information.  Of which I will need.  Not only about the bike but also because it's been over 15 years since I have had a bike.  So I'm back in the saddle but have to get use to a scooter type compared to the standard shift.

I live in Kenosha County Wisconsin and am 66 years old.   I haven't had a ton of previous riding experience. Mostly with a 1973 Honda 360 which was more in a state of disrepair than ride worthy.  But I look forward to getting back on a bike and begin riding regularly.  Both with my sister and her husband and some old die hard biker enthusiasts from the past.  The Silver Wing has about 83K miles and is in good condition.  So I anticipate I will finally have a bike that I can ride for  years to come and experience the pleasure of a hobby I always wanted to do.  

I also want to ride the bike to and from the train station on work days.  So I have a question.  What wheel lock would you all recommend for leaving the bike at at train station for 12 hours a day.  Which type is a most deterrent to theft; cylinder lock, heavy chain or a heavy duty U shaped lock?  

Thank you all and I look forward to being a member.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

New Member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Member   New Member I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 2:04 pm

I usually just thread a heavy duty cable lock through the front wheel and forks when leaving the bike at work.
If you're in a high theft risk area I would lock the back wheel to a railing etc. It has been known for thieves to remove the wheel and just nick the rest of the bike, but getting the back wheel off is a long job.
Two more things:
1. Use one of those stretchy, coil things to remind yourself about the lock, because you will forget and try to ride off... we all do :-)
2. Do not thread the chain, cable, whatever between the spokes with the valve. When you have just done 1 above it adds insult to injury tearing out the valve stem.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

New Member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Member   New Member I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 2:26 pm

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum. A Honda 360 ay? Was it the 360cc version of the CB250G5. I had one of those 250s and loved it.

I use a disc lock with a 'forget me not' flexible coiled line hooked to the handlebar. As Steve _h80 says, we've all tried to ride off with the disc lock still in place....very embarrassing.

When away from home I use a heavy duty chain lock through the back wheel....watch out for the tyre valve, but when in the garage I hook it through the sissy bar so I don't have to bend down.

All you can do is make it as difficult as possible for someone to take the bike. Any determined thief will take it no matter what you do but just make it hard work them. Hope you enjoy the forum Smile
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

New Member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Member   New Member I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 6:59 pm

New Member Faa5ec10
welcome Bro glad you signed up here.  You will find lots of good info here.  And many good members.

Here is a pix of Jim (Biker@1973) on (my former Swing) his new Swing.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

New Member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Member   New Member I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Welcome to the board from o-HI-o.
Back to top Go down
Biker@1973
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

New Member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Member   New Member I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 8:54 pm

Thanks Steve & Loosemarbles for the good info for the lock.  I'm leading toward the heavy chain.  Especially if I can find a post to chain it to.  

LooseMarbles, yes it was a 360cc version of the CB250G5; our first bike.  It was a great bike, when it would ride.  When I was a teenager in the sixties, I learned to ride and cut my teeth on a Honda 90CC scooter.

I see both of you are from the UK.  I work for a global law firm and work closely with my counter parts in London each week. I've been there four times and love it.  Hope to get back there someday.

Cathy, nice post. The Silver Wing is a lot heavier than the 360, so I'm taking it slow in adjusting to weight and riding with a throttle without shifting.  But loving it.  Thanks Oldwingguy. Thanks all.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2014-02-13

New Member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Member   New Member I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 10:57 pm

Hi Jim and Welcome to the BEST SWing forum on the net. There is lots of info here with plenty of people to help out, as you've found.

One quick question/comment. You said, "When I was a teenager in the sixties". Sometimes I act like a teenager and I'm in my 70's so don't worry about it.

YES I do have a weird sense of humor... thumbs up
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

New Member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Member   New Member I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 11:00 pm

Dale N. wrote:
Hi Jim and Welcome to the BEST SWing forum on the net. There is lots of info here with plenty of people to help out, as you've found.

One quick question/comment. You said, "When I was a teenager in the sixties". Sometimes I act like a teenager and I'm in my 70's so don't worry about it.

YES I do have a weird sense of humor... thumbs up

Dale, you and Jim should get along just fine. Laughing
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

New Member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Member   New Member I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 3:23 am

Welcome Jim, enjoy the Forum and banter Wink
I use a Disc lock with built in alarm and reminder cable, Brake lock on left hand side, Loud alarm fitted also but as others have said, if the Ba$tards want it, they will have it no matter what but in it's defence the Swing is not the lightest of machines to pick up and sling on the back of a pick up or van and not really ordered to nick by the "Younger ones" out there !!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

New Member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Member   New Member I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 am

Hello Jim. Welcome to the family. Best o' luck with your new bike. It comes with a noble history. So do be aware that because she's got long legs, once you gather your wits, she'll need to do a quick ride to the Soo --just for the exercise.

Tim
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

New Member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Member   New Member I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 9:14 am

Welcome aboard the board Jim!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New Member 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

New Member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Member   New Member I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 11:51 am

welcome welcome welcome

Glad to see that scooter brought a great new member with it. One caution; that scooter has a history of finding the rain. Smile
Back to top Go down
Biker@1973
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

New Member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Member   New Member I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 1:58 pm

GoonerKev wrote:
Welcome Jim, enjoy the Forum and banter Wink
I use a Disc lock with built in alarm and reminder cable, Brake lock on left hand side, Loud alarm fitted also but as others have said, if the Ba$tards want it, they will have it no matter what but in it's defence the Swing is not the lightest of machines to pick up and sling on the back of a pick up or van and not really ordered to nick by the "Younger ones" out there !!

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Hello Jim. Welcome to the family. Best o' luck with your new bike. It comes with a noble history. So do be aware that because she's got long legs, once you gather your wits, she'll need to do a quick ride to the Soo --just for the exercise.

Tim

sonuvabug wrote:
Welcome aboard the board Jim!

Hi Yo wrote:

welcome       welcome      welcome

Glad to see that scooter brought a great new member with it. One caution; that scooter has a history of finding the rain.  Smile

Thank you all for your friendly welcomes.  And yes, sonuvabug, my sister has a talent for riding in the rain.  But that rain will now follow her on her Gold Wing.  My only caution will be when I ride with her. tongue
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

New Member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Member   New Member I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 6:41 pm

Jim, Hi Yo is the member who mentioned the rain. He always gives me crap about how I bring rain and snow to Texas when I go and visit Carol and Tom. He isn’t far from where they live. He is a good guy. Finally met up with him in April of 2018 when I went down to see Carol and Tom. Please note the nice blue sky behind us in the picture.

New Member A4195410
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1