Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Much Gratitude

Go down 
+5
Cosmic_Jumper
cotetoi
sc00ter
oldwingguy
Osprey
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2018-06-30

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 8:56 am

Hi All,

I don't have the super mechanic abilities. It's just the basics. This means that I don't have much to contribute to this site.

I am very thankful for your generosity in allowing me to browse, ask questions when needed, and enjoy your helpful input. Me and the Swing thank you!!!!!

Judy
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 9:21 am

Osprey wrote:
Hi All,

I don't have the super mechanic abilities.  It's just the basics.  This means that I don't have much to contribute to this site.

I am very thankful for your generosity in allowing me to browse, ask questions when needed, and enjoy your helpful input.  Me and the Swing thank you!!!!!

Judy

First thanks you, really we were all beginners at one time learning from others reading watching, buy good tools follow instructions and in this day and age watching a u tube may help. Smiling I think of my dad when I'd get between a rock and a hard place, any darn fool can take it apart Smile
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 10:32 am

Product specific forums and Utube are a HUGE help in todays society. I've been riding and wrenching for over 35 years and I still refer to a how-to page or video to know in advance what "surprises" Im in for before starting a repair. Product reviews from real users is also another benefit. Finally having our own little community to share stories, gripes and friendships.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 11:21 am

First rule, Judy : do not be afraid. Get started with simple things you can do, and build from there. I am no mechanic, but I can do more now than I ever could, and getting edumacated in the process.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 1:27 pm

As a first step confidence builder why not; 1) Put the bike on the center stand; 2) Remove the passenger peg mount (two 10mm hex bolts); 3) Remove the front half of the outer belt case cover (four 8mm bolts); 4 Remove the rear half (four hex bolts). Sit back and admire what you've accomplished. Note the 2-wire harness which is tucked into the upper side of the alloy belt case. Leave it there this time.

Next put it all back together in the reverse order. Be aware that the passenger peg assembly can be a PITA to align and reattach. The coat-hanger wire looking thing at the top of the passgenge peg assembly goes under (behind) the black panel. Those hex bolts can be difficult to align as well. Use a couple of phillips head screwdrivers to help align with the bolt holes. And dont force anything when screwing the bolts back into the frame. Sometime it takes some fooling around to get things aligned properly.

Next time we can take the steps further and remove the alloy belt case as well
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 1:59 pm

"I don't have the super mechanic abilities. It's just the basics. This means that I don't have much to contribute to this site."

You don't need any mechanical ability to share your love of riding and the Silver Wing, both of which are found in abundance in this forum. No need to apologize. Look at it this way: You were smart enough to buy the simplest, most reliable maxi-scooter on earth.

From your location, you must have some incredibly beautiful rides ... at least during your 12-day riding season (just teasing you ;o). My daughter graduated from SUNY Plattsburgh, so I spent a fair amount of time riding in that latitude, one state and a Champlain ferry ride away. My sister went to Keene.

As for mechanical things, I'm barely competent. But my Wing came with a printed copy of the Service Manual (a NASA engineer sold me the bike, and wanted to know how it worked). That and taking the time to get the exact tools needed make much of the work ridiculously simple ... engine oil and filter, gear oil, spark plugs, air and belt filters. I even changed the belt and brake pads last week, which for me is pretty much sticking a moon landing.

Post some pics of your Wing in front of those mountains. You, too, can end up as the featured photo on the home page!
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 4:20 pm

Welcome Judy
You will have all the help and advice you will ever need on this Forum and I speak from first hand, all friendly and very helpful Wink
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 6:19 pm

Ya'll are great.  I feel warm and fuzzy all over, which is a miracle with the weather I'm having up here.  Yup that 12 day season may shrink to 6.  Freeze warning tonight.  I'm actually keeping one pair of snowshoes out so as to ward off jinxing the whole move toward summer.  

Cosmic Jumper, thanks for my first lesson toward Swing mechanic certification.  However, I did change the belt last year.  Kind of got that.  Yes, the peg bolts were a bugger to get off.  I have to admit that my neighbor helped me.  Man, that belt is a bugger to put on.  The Youtube video guy made it look easy.  Took both of us to complete that step.  Went back to the Youtube.  The guy had muscles bigger than Popeye!

I have changed engine oil and plugs.  Air filter/cleaner looks good.  I still need to take a look at changing the final drive oil.  I'd love that to be next lesson, please Smile   This is so much fun.  

I did order parts for the forks, front and rear brake pads as well.  I went with the OEM springs.  Also added all the washers and other little pieces surrounding the job to have on hand.  Honda guru mechanic doing this for me.  My expenditure for the year.

Yes, it is very beautiful up here!  I live at 2,860 feet with Mount Madison and the twin peaks of Adams as view from yard.  I'm the caretaker on a farm at top of Randolph Hill.  What a job.  Love it!

There is a space where I'd like to take a pic to share.  It's Jefferson Meadows.  My go to loop for a 45 minute clear the head ride.  The road runs through a very large farm raising grasses etc for cattle.  The White Mountains, including the infamous Mt. Washington are the back drop.  A stunning view indeed!

p.s.  I love the Swing!  I went to buy a used Honda Rebel and came home with the Swing sitting in front of the dealership door.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 8:32 pm

"I still need to take a look at changing the final drive oil.  I'd love that to be next lesson, please."

That may be the easiest maintenance job of all. Take off the left passenger foot peg and the two black covers in front of the belt case, per Tim's instructions. There's a pictorial on this site that shows you the fill plug and the drain plug.

When you drain, spin the wheel in its forward direction to push all the oil out. Seal and torque to 9 ft. lbs. (that is the torque for both the drain and fill plugs). Make sure you have sealing washers in place, sometimes they fall in the oil; they are generally reusable. Add EXACTLY .32 mm of oil (same oil as the engine oil).

I say "exactly" from experience. I added more than that by incorrectly spinning the wheel to get more oil IN and ended up overfilling, which caused a leak in the weep hole on the bottom of the clutch housing next to the rear tire. That was resolved by changing the oil again and adding the exact amount.

It's a piece o' cake, and you only have to do it every two years or 24,000 miles, per Honda (I do it more often).

You should probably make sure the coolant and brake fluid have been changed in the last two years, or tackle that, as well. Neither one is difficult with the right tools.

Looking forward to those mountain pics. I miss the fresh air up there.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 7:37 am

Hi Judy,

Just by asking questions you are contributing to the site because there are others with the same questions; and your asking will bring replies that will help all of us.  In due time you will be offering answers that help others too.

I'll never forget the first time I saw Mt. Washington.  My wife and I were heading to Sunday River for a week of skiing and had taken a route to North Conway and then along the road to Wildcat and into Maine.  We came around a curve in the road and my jaw dropped in awe of the sight.  In the Wildcat parking lot we stood there admiring the view of the mountain from there as well. Much Gratitude 14-3-610

I'd like to ride the Silverwing to the same place ... a bit of a ride from NS (that laughing sound is John laughing (in disagreement) at that last comment). However I understand that scooters are not permitted to ride up Mt. Washington. Is that correct? Something to do with being belt driven I think.

We ( as in: the land of Jay and myself )have had several frost warnings recently, and another for tonight.

All the best,
Mike
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 12:00 pm

Ok. I'll get the final drive oil done on the next warmer day. 40 will be high of today but with 10 mph winds.

I'm usually good with all 4 seasons. Great outdoor adventures for each one. Winter started in October and complete snow melt wasn't until last week of April, with a few couple inch falls between then and now. Two weeks ago 2.5" dropped on us. Melted same day but bummer. The winter was like the prairie as well. 4 times as many big wind with chills day than usual and 200 and 13 inches of snow fall.

Great for skiing, except Wildcat which had to close quite a bit as their slopes take the full brunt of the West to Northwest winds.

Mike, you'll have a place to stay if you come down here. NO, motorcyclesAlso, I met a fella in Rangeley Maine last fall. He had just returned from NS and did the trip on his Helix. Very Cool!

Yes, you can ride up.

Here's info from website:ARE MOTORCYCLES ALLOWED ON THE AUTO ROAD?
Yes, and as with any vehicle operations, it is weather and conditions permitting. High winds, wet conditions and other safety considerations can close the Auto Road to motorcycles. Riders may want to join us for the “Ride to the Sky,” our annual “motorcycles only” days in June.

I the biggest challenge would be the decent. They do have pull offs for brake resting. It's pretty steep with tons of curves. I doubt there would enough speed for engine braking. - I've think the bumper stickers that say, "This vehicle climbed Mt. Washington" should actually say, "This vehicle came down Mt. Washington." That is the true challenge.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 12:02 pm

Guess I should have proof read my last message. Don't know why I typed, "NO, motorcycles." Opps.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 6:29 am

Thanks for the kind offer and info Judy. Now that you say the descent may be the problem, I think that is what I had read .... the braking capacity was what was questioned on the scooters. I have seen pictures by Dan (of Maxi Scoots Forum fame) at the observation l;evel ... and he had arrived there by bike.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 9:55 am

Mt. Washington Auto Road Fun Facts

Length 7.6 miles
138 Turns
Vertical Gain is 4,650ft to summit of 6,288 ft
Grade   Multi Lengths of 18%, last 50 Yards is 22% for average of 12%

Getting to my house from Gorham is a 8% grade for about mile and a half than various smaller grades for 2 miles.  My road has a one 10th mile at 13%.  The words for Mt. Washington climb would be Eat Gas!  Then again, gasoline would not be needed on the way down.  I'd suggest fortified body armor incase a turn is overshot.  It's a long way down, over cliffs.  Emoticon with parachute is appropriate here.

A bit off topic but still applies to "Gorham Hill" comment.  I was at the traffic light behind two Harley Ds and saw both drivers eyeing me in their mirrors.  Followed them along the slow section and then the challenge up the hill.  They gave me the passing lane challenge. Piece of cake ~ They gave up at 85 mph.  That was a really fun eat gas moment!

Do an online search Mt. Washington Auto Rd, NH under images.  Loads of great pics and information on all the races.  There is even a motorcycle day in June as part of the Laconia NH motorcycle week.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 10:24 am

"Do an online search Mt. Washington Auto Rd, NH under images."

Interesting. But the pics and warning sign (photo) ensured that's a road I will never experience. I have a healthy fear of heights.

Although I did drive my youngest son up to the Kitt Peak National Observatory about 45 miles west of Tucson. It's about 7,000 feet and has guardrails (photo).

By the way, star gazing at the National Observatory is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED if you're ever in the area. The stars are so clear you actually perceive depth, as if some are closer than others. It's like you're floating among them.

Much Gratitude Images10
Much Gratitude Downlo10
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 10:42 am

Delray wrote:
"Do an online search Mt. Washington Auto Rd, NH under images."

Much Gratitude Downlo10

Wait a minute, Mike. See, there is a guard rail. What could possibly go wrong?
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 10:57 am

"Wait a minute, Mike. See, there is a guard rail. What could possibly go wrong?"

Haha, the guardrail is on Kitt Peak, not Mt. Washington. I don't know how effective it would be in an emergency, but it certainly provided emotional comfort.

On the way down Kitt Peak, the park rangers put blinders on everyone's headlights to prevent light pollution for all the telescopes. You follow the tail/brake lights of the car in front of you down the mountain in pitch black conditions. Halfway down, they pull over and remove the blinders. Except for driving in blizzards, it's probably the most alert I've ever been behind the wheel.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2019 3:18 pm

Mike,
I'm jealous of you (and happy for you) for your trip to the solar observatory!  Sounds like quite the experience ... even if in the dark.  The dark, dry and clear skies of Arizona are a big draw for anyone interested in astronomy and comet hunting.  David Levy is from (foggy) NS and moved to Az for that reason.  He joined Shoemaker in watching the comet they discovered crash into Jupiter in July 1994.

Yup Kitt Peak is on my bucket list!

Mike
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 6:51 pm

Hey All,

I'm a proud owner of a brand new service manual.  Nice big black 3 ring binder with all the fun stuff inside.  

I'm going to love my new reading material.  Will go hand in hand with all the help and advice of the kind people on this for
I may even be able to form questions with proper descriptions and terminology.   queen
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 7:10 am

I have been up Mt. Washinton on both Helix and Kawasaki Voyager 1200. Reason for no belt drive scooter....idiots who ride the brakes all the way down and possibility of brake fade....and trip off road. I got up on Helix, explaining I had BSc Safety degree/MSF Instructor card and some stuff from Japanese Magazine, Auto-By. Voyager required leaving camping trailer at bottom. I recall no difficulty surely not as great a ride as some of the passes in Austria/Italy/Switzerland or France.....and they charge money.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 8:20 am

That's impressive, john.

I've been up via a truck and was happy to be driving a standard, especially on the way down. I would never attempt that many miles of descent on the Swing.

Congrats to you!
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 12:23 pm

"Yup Kitt Peak is on my bucket list!"

Good for you. It definitely qualifies as a "you will never forget it" experience.

Couple tips.

Avoid the monsoon season from June to October. Kitt Peak doesn't give refunds if it's cloudy, and it's most likely to be cloudy then. Temps are usually in the triple digits, anyway, at least on the desert floor.

During the winter months, it can actually snow on the mountain, so "just in case" cold weather gear is smart.

Kitt Peak is literally in another country, on an Indian reservation. I can't remember if you need a passport. I believe I just showed my U.S. driver's license but it might be different for Canadians.

There's a website that explains all this. I recall an overnight package. It's not cheap and neither are general admission tickets, but it's definitely worth it.

You watch the sunset toward California (spectacular) and they take you inside for a PowerPoint presentation on the mountain and astronomy. I took special note of the cautionary advice to "stay close to your group because there are wild animals" (I asked a Park Ranger who said bear and mountain lions). At the end of the presentation, they give you a tiny red keylight to see outside -- the red light does not interfere with the telescopes.

You walk outside and it's pitch black, so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face black. You look up to see the most amazing star viewing imaginable. I can't overemphasize how stunning it is. After a few minutes to orient yourself to the dark, they walk you around the mountain to various telescopes where you take a look at the skies. On the night we were there I saw the rings of Saturn. It was amazing to see the rings "live" and not in a photo. I was hoping to look at the moon but it wasn't visible that night.

When you look at distant stars, you realize you're looking into the past -- at light emitted millions of years ago. That, combined with how many stars are out there, can lead to some pretty cosmic thinking, if you like sort of thing ;o).

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Much Gratitude Empty
PostSubject: Re: Much Gratitude   Much Gratitude I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Much Gratitude
Page 1 of 1