Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Rear shock longevity
STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

STP Oil additive

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
johnd
7 posters
AuthorMessage
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

STP Oil additive Empty
PostSubject: STP Oil additive   STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2019 9:33 pm

For about 4 years or more I have had a grinding sound in the rear end.
If the bike is idling, all I need to do is roll forward a few inches and the grinding will go away.
I have spent quite a bit on mechanics and had a dealer rep say he had no idea. I have put maybe 4 thousand miles on it and wondering if when I change my differential oil in the next few days, would adding STP oil additive in a small amount maybe 2% would it help or would it cause other problems.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

STP Oil additive Empty
PostSubject: Re: STP Oil additive   STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2019 10:10 pm

NO---STP will not hurt anything or fix mechanical problems.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

STP Oil additive Empty
PostSubject: Re: STP Oil additive   STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2019 11:39 pm

If your bike is idiling then the final drive is not engaged.

I suspect that the noise you hear may be from the bearings in the Driven Pulley. It wouldn't hurt to pull the DP and add some grease to the needle bearing. The roller bearing in the DP is all but impossible to lube, but you might try to fabricate some type of long syringe to inject grease in that bearing. Also check the bearing in the belt case. Though that one tends to whine, not grind. And the whining goes away when the clutch engages. My 2¢
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

STP Oil additive Empty
PostSubject: Re: STP Oil additive   STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 6:47 am

Wynns do a supplement lubricant for bearings and gears in a small tube try that
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

STP Oil additive Empty
PostSubject: Re: STP Oil additive   STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 6:55 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wynns-Lubricant-Supplement-for-Engines/232510931587?hash=item3622bb4283:g:9L0AAOSwPxRZ07X9&frcectupt=true
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

STP Oil additive Empty
PostSubject: Re: STP Oil additive   STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 9:51 am

Jumper. I really like your answer.
I was never intending to fix anything mechanical. I was only hoping to lessen the sound and friction.
I do not understand your "when the clutch engages part Jumper.

Again, I just wanted to say that this is the best, most helpful forum and grateful for all the feel back.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

STP Oil additive Empty
PostSubject: Re: STP Oil additive   STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 10:24 am

As veteran of some 90,000 miles plus with 2 purchased new SilverWing---I think your noise is associated with belt/clutches.

As you didn't state age//main. history/belt age, miles makes guessing a little hard.

One easy fix, run engine up 15-20 seconds against brakes.....and see what happens to noise. My first Silverwing required this every couple of weeks. Both bikes I always changed belts at makers chart....and of course used OEM belts.

Ride more.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

STP Oil additive Empty
PostSubject: Re: STP Oil additive   STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 11:09 am

Hi Bud, this in NOT going to be an issue with your differential, given your problem occurs at idle when none of the diff' componants are turning & so it's pointless using oil addatives, they will not cure it.  Most likely scenario's have already been posted by Tim & John
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1561
Registration date : 2016-10-01

STP Oil additive Empty
PostSubject: Re: STP Oil additive   STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 1:22 pm

I'm not convinced with oil additives. If there's a noise then there's a problem. Take the rear pulley assembly off and have a look. Check every bearing you can get a finger to for grinding sensations and also check your clutch drum and pads are good. Have a look at the rear drive shaft for scoring or corrosion. You can check the appearance of all this stuff on this forum or on YouTube.

If the problem turns out to be in the final drive then I don't think any amount of additive will cure it, it'll need looking at but even this job is not as scary as might seem.

If you've been getting away with it for four years then it's obviously 'coping'. Have a look....
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

STP Oil additive Empty
PostSubject: Re: STP Oil additive   STP Oil additive I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 5:45 pm

johnd, The "Clutch" engages at around 2000 rpms which starts you rolling down the road. If you sit at a stop and slowly rev the engine and watch the tach you'll notice that you start moving at around 2000 rpms. it's a centrifugal clutch not like a clutch on a manual transmission.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

STP Oil additive Empty
PostSubject: Re: STP Oil additive   STP Oil additive I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

STP Oil additive
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: