Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Recent 2000 mile scooter trip

Go down 
+3
GHM-PM
Dale N.
john grinsel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Recent 2000 mile scooter trip Empty
PostSubject: Recent 2000 mile scooter trip   Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2019 12:32 pm

Just got back from 2000 mile 8 day scooter Trip, went to 8 or 9 states, half back roads, rest freeway. No bike troubles.

Temps: 30 to 60 degrees F, so cold feeling, rained only at nite

Even though I have been doing this since 1955 and high miles....still make mistakes in clothes selection-----and get cold as result----Aerostich Darien Jack 3/4 jacket and Pants ok---I did not take purchased up north feather jacket as liner, instead feather vest and feather shirt (purchased in south and they are just not warm)...so got cold a couple of times=my fault.

Made choice of wrong helmet for all day comfort---Vega 3/4, 3 lbs with face shield usually I wear 2 lbs GMAX 3/4 with long snap on bill so riding into sun no strain.

Windshield stock Kymco with Laminar Lip bolted on---probably too narrow for serious winter use---I have Puig Touring screen which I put back on yesterday!.

Givi E-46 box with hole for dog's head. Took off and replaced with much lighter Bestem (and smaller) box.I find heavy/big box and 2 Ortlieb rubber bags (all up high) raise CG too much and bike can be handful in strong crosswinds.

Bike is my new SilverWing replacement, Kymco 2019 XTown 300i ABS, much lighter than SilverWing and works well for old fart (will be 80 in May.) On road performance fine, 60-70 mpg, price great, 2 yr warranty.

Aerostich Kombat Lite boots worked great for temps involved. Carry rubber over boots for wet. Langlitz gloves for cold, Aero elkskin ropers for warmer temps.

Only bikes you see on the roads are Harleys---saw no scooters, not even 50cc like you see a lot of in Canada.

Motel 6 in US going to pot----all seem to be India owned/managed...and they are not great Inn Keepers.

End: I think people with bikes/scooters should be riding---did see lots of trailer bikers(Wimps). My costs run about total of $100 a day plus wear on scooter
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Recent 2000 mile scooter trip   Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2019 2:53 pm

If I forget John, which I am known for, Happy 80th Birthday in May.

Sounded like a decent trip except for being cold. I guess I'm kind of a Wuss because I like it at least above 50 degrees if I'm going on a longerish ride. Is longerish even a word? I guess it is now.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Recent 2000 mile scooter trip   Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 8:12 am

Congratulations John, you are an inspiration to us all! You actually RIDE your scooter. I haven't been on a multi-day trip since 2016 and really need a big trip. Supposed to make one in April or May but now May is out so who knows? Thanks for taking us along!
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Recent 2000 mile scooter trip   Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 9:42 am

Respect Mr Grinsel respect
Back to top Go down
MTS wings
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2019-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Recent 2000 mile scooter trip   Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 6:58 pm

Hi John,

I just joined a few hours ago. Holy smokes! 2000 mile ride in those temps! You are an inspiration to me.
Thank you for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful birthday next month!
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Recent 2000 mile scooter trip   Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2019 1:54 pm

Well done John, keep riding, I've enjoyed reading your reports over there in the USA.
Regards
Dave
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Recent 2000 mile scooter trip   Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 7:49 am

[quote

End:  I think people with bikes/scooters should be riding---did see lots of trailer bikers(Wimps).   My costs run about total of $100 a day plus wear on scooter
[/quote]

Great post John! Always good to hear about your experiences. Just one observation, my wife and I two up (She wants nothing to do with riding her own) Sad and one of her requirements about going out of town, is that we trailer and ride out from where we decide to "base camp" at. Not having transportation causes her a bit of anxiety should I become sick or injured. It would leave her stranded. Also, if we decide to go out in the evening for dinner, she doesn't want to go by bike, as we wear all the safety gear and helmet hair isn't something she wants to deal with. Finally, if I'm pooped, I'm early to bed, early to rise, she is a night owl. If she wants to go out and do some shopping she wants transportation. I figure I can at least accommodate her and I guess that puts us in the wimp category. I'll take that designation any day, a small price to pay for a gal who otherwise likes to ride and rarely complains! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recent 2000 mile scooter trip   Recent 2000 mile scooter trip I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recent 2000 mile scooter trip
Page 1 of 1