Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings Empty
PostSubject: Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings   Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2019 1:45 pm

No longer have SilverWing---reasons: 1. I like only new bikes with warranty 2. I am old fart, 80 in May, SilverWing got too heavy for me. Has been replaced by 2019 Kymco XTown 300i ABS which is lighter, 2 yr warranty and I find performance/balance just fine. Price great.

Now to SilverWing experience: I did well over 90,000 miles on the 2 machines, both bought new, a 2009 and leftover 2013.

Outside of Givi adjustable windshields and Givi Monokey racks, spent little money on them:

a. they never went to dealer for reg. service

b. used WalMart 10-40 oil land filters purchased there. I am fussy about fresh oil....and Honda engines prefer it.

c. both bikes had original OEM spark plugs at time of trade. Never adjusted valves as it seems to be un-nessary.

d. Drive belts were changed at 15,000 mile intervals with OEM belts.
I did not monkey with pulleys/clutches....as there was no need.

e. extra money spent on parts//service=one new battery on 2013, one hour shop time...to cure ABS light that came on in FL and stayed on. Local Honda shop got it out and system working again.

f.MPG =55-65 mpg, reg fuel

g. As I am rider, did not add Electric junk-- but did use foam over grips and NEP cruise control.

So I guess my advice here is leave them alone, change little and ride. If bike in stock condition does not meet your needs/dreams, get something else which will be cheaper in long run
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings   Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2019 1:50 pm

Should add tires---rear Power Pure SC Michelin as they wear round.

Front it didn't seem to be fussy about what was on front.

I always used stock psi,, use "Ride On" as balance aide, do/did all tire work by me. Now that I think about it never had flat with SilverWings
Back to top Go down
Sirkitrider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2018-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings   Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2019 10:10 pm

John,

Good to hear your experience with the Swing.  I've got 7200 on my NOS 2012 purchased last June.  

Mine is setup about like yours. {'cept for Corbin seat}  My only disappointment has been the vibration on acceleration.  Expect many miles from her.

What was your experience with/attitude towards the buzzie/vibration of the Silverwing?

Sirkitrider
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings   Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2019 6:53 am

#1 had some vibration on take off, its whole life---fix=run engine up against front brake, I think belt/pulley problem.

#2 drive line smooth its whole life

Some vibration on take off seems to be problem of rubber band drive scooters---my 2 new Burgman 400's did it---second Burgman whole drive line, belt/pulleys/clutch at 20,000 miles blew up near Dalton GA...Suzuki paid for repair.

When I bought first rubber band drive scooter, Helix (Fusion in Japan), in Japan 1990, realized weakest link was drive belt....so always carried spare, over the years, on 10th rubber band drive scooter, always have spare belt at the ready. By changing belts at maker's recommended miles
and replacing with OEM belts, had only one belt break in over 400,000 miles.

My new Kymco appears to be very smooth on take off---some vibration at 65 mph---solution is go faster or slower.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings   Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2019 2:59 pm

john grinsel wrote:

If bike in stock condition does not meet your needs/dreams, get something else which will be cheaper in long run

And never a truer word was spoken.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings   Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2019 12:10 am

If I had to look for a scooter/motorcycle with all the modifications I made to my 2013 Swing, I would not be riding a bike. From cars, to boats, to scooters, to drones I have made substantial modifications to make it uniquely mine. And that's the fun in owning my toys.

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings   Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2019 7:19 am

That makes sense Easyrider but each person has different tastes. I pick a machine as close to perfect to my needs as I can and then hone it to my uses. In nearly 7 years with my SWing have done a few mods but not anything earth shattering. I don't care if my Wing can hit 130+MPH or if it handles like a crotch rocket (it doesn't). I would have bought a whole different ride if that were important. That said, I enjoy seeing others modifications.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings   Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2019 10:34 pm

Glenn,
Totally agree with you. Non of my mods were for speed. Mostly safety and convenience. Even my Dr Pulley sliders were more to reduce the vibrations when starting from a stop.

As a matter of fact I have yet to exceed 90MPH on my Swing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings   Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some experiences with 2 new Silverwings
Page 1 of 1